PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on 24" Griz Drum G1066R

Craig D Peltier
03-11-2010, 2:31 PM
I have the option to buy for 1200 , says new , never used.Has extra paper 36 and 60 grit.
New its 1500 plus ship and tax.
Model number G1066R
Anyone here have this one? Any opinions?
I currently have the 16-32 Jet. It works fine for face frames an not so wide boards.Im looking to be able to send wider glue ups through it without it bogging down and (B) flex in the open end.

Thanks

Craig D Peltier
03-11-2010, 5:40 PM
I can get it for 1k. Not 1200.
So would it be an upgrade as far as perfomance against my 16-32 you think? Im a bit worried on the Griz not having the VS , the jet has it and I use it all the time. Its usually so it doesnt trip though not for burning.

Chip Lindley
03-12-2010, 12:40 AM
The Griz 1066R is *adequate*. Many light passes must be taken for any thicknessing. 3 or 4 passes for *just a cleanup*. Light passes insure no burning! The 5hp motor does not bog down unless too-deep a pass is attempted. The 1/4hp conveyor motor has plenty of power to pull the wood through. I've never missed variable speed; I just take light passes.
Amazingly, I have one for sale locally with mobile stand at less than the $1K above! (if you're in the neighborhood) Reason I'm selling is that I lucked into a wider 38" DD sander.

Craig D Peltier
03-12-2010, 9:57 AM
The Griz 1066R is *adequate*. Many light passes must be taken for any thicknessing. 3 or 4 passes for *just a cleanup*. Light passes insure no burning! The 5hp motor does not bog down unless too-deep a pass is attempted. The 1/4hp conveyor motor has plenty of power to pull the wood through. I've never missed variable speed; I just take light passes.
Amazingly, I have one for sale locally with mobile stand at less than the $1K above! (if you're in the neighborhood) Reason I'm selling is that I lucked into a wider 38" DD sander.

Thanks Chip, I think if it were 800 it would be a better deal. I'm still going to ponder it.