PDA

View Full Version : havent posted in a while

Tony Wheeler
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I havent post anything just been lurking for a while what do you think of this piece of euqlpus burl I think the final is to short boss lady thinks its fine sorry for the crappy picture

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Beautiful piece of burl and a nice form... I agree with you on the finial, but I wouldn't argue with the boss.

Wally Dickerman
03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
This time the boss lady is wrong. Hey, she can't be right ALL of the time...can she? IMO the finial should be at least twice as tall...and slim. With the tall pedestal it seems out of balance.

To achieve good balance the rule of thirds works well. The finial could be 2/3 the height of the pedestal. If the pedestal was shorter, the finial could be 1/3 taller than the pedestal. Good proportions make good balance.

Wally

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I will agree but if she's happy that means a lot!

Paul Williams
03-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I could see a little longer final but I wouldn't go much higher. I think the tall stand means I wouldn't like a tall final on top.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Tony - Welcome back!

Nice turning! I agree with Wally in that the finial should be twice as tall as it is now - or at least 2/3s of the length of the pedestal. Also agree that it would enhance the piece even more if it were thinner.

Tony Wheeler
03-12-2010, 12:47 AM
thanks guys I will make a new finial like I thought and when I get my lumps on my head i'm going to tell youall told me to and I will make a thinner pedstal also and think more of the 2/3s overall between the two

Mike Minto
03-12-2010, 9:55 AM
ditto on what the others have said, but it still is a nice piece and great wood.

Frank Van Atta
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
The piece is beautiful, but I have to agree that the finial is too short. SWMBO might agree if she saw it with a larger finial on it.

John Keeton
03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Very nice piece of wood and I like the form. I agree on the finial, and it reminds me a lot of my first one.

I am still struggling with the finial thing, but the DVDs from Cindy Drozda are very helpful, as is a serious study of the work of various creekers in the galleries in the sticky at the top of the Turners Forum. And, there is the work of Neal Addy, Keith Burns, Mark Cottrell, and many others I have failed to mention.

Even with that, it is still a struggle!:o But, I am going to give it another go on the next piece!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2010, 4:35 PM
Good looking piece Tony. You got some good advice and I agree that a new finial might look better.

James Roberts
03-12-2010, 8:32 PM
I'm liking the idea of a thinner, taller finial as well. Just don't mention my name to "The Boss".

Seriously, that's a very nice piece of wood and you did a fine job on it.

James Combs
03-12-2010, 8:52 PM
It is beautiful but it reminds me of a lamp that is missing it's shade. So yes go taller. Put it's shade on.