PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW735 or Delta 22-580

Mike Goetzke
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
(preface - I'm an adult that seems to always need help on tool purchases:o)

Thanks to Deals/Discounts I successfully got my local Lowe's manager to honor a HF 20% coupon on the 735 if I purchase it today. I use mostly rough lumber for my projects. I have a big kitchen job coming up that will require close to 600bf of lumber passed through a planer. Now for my problem: I currently have a 4 year old Delta 22-580 that has performed well for my hobby. After initial setup I have no snipe and have been satisfied with the knife life for the Delta. Delta is replacing the 580 with a new model and I have heard great reviews for the 735 so was considering a upgrade, but, have heard the knife wear is an issue with the DeWalt. Any help with experienced users of the DW735 appreciated.

Mike

Peter Aeschliman
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I can't offer any advice, except that the one thing that has made me consider the DW735 is the fact that you can get a byrd shelix head for it for about $400. That would solve the premature knife wear problem! ;) :p

Cary Falk
03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I have the 22-580 and think it is a great planer. It is now being discontinued which is a bummer. To me the move to the DW735 is not an upgrade. As long as it is still working I would consider it a waste of money. When the time comes (death or lack of blades) I will be replacing mine with a 15" Grizzly with spiral head. Just my 2 cents though.

Greg Portland
03-11-2010, 12:43 PM
If you are going to upgrade I would go with a large floor-standing machine. The Dewalt is slightly nicer but not worth the upgrade expense (IMO). Properly setup either the Delta or Dewalt will plane your 600bf of wood. A larger machine (3HP+) will be capable of completing the task faster and with a finer finish (but you will still need to sand).

Greg

Chuck Isaacson
03-11-2010, 1:23 PM
I have the DW735 and love it. Would I upgrade to it from where you are at? Probably not. I would save a little more and upgrade to a floor standing unit before I bought the 735.

Mike Goetzke
03-11-2010, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the input - I have come to my senses and determined with your re-enforcement why mess with something in the shop that has a good track record - no snipe & original set of blades after about 1500bf.

Thanks,

Mike

Victor Robinson
03-11-2010, 3:20 PM
Did you seriously just talk yourself out of a new tool purchase? :confused:

Mike Goetzke
03-11-2010, 5:35 PM

Now stop that!

Joseph Tarantino
03-11-2010, 9:28 PM
that delta is a nice looking unit. popular woodworking had it as a top value in a 2004 test of planers. the 735, which was in the same test for about $200 less than it's current price, was the editor's choice in the same test. the 735 was also rated best overall in wood magazine's 03/10 planer test. FWIW, i think you made the right choice to stay with the delta until it's time to move up to a larger unit.

Cary Falk
03-11-2010, 9:41 PM

Just diverting the funds to a different purchase.:D