PDA

View Full Version : LOW volume engraving (very low)

Mike OMelia
03-11-2010, 2:09 AM
I build guitars. I love it. And I want to be able to "burn" a logo that I can fill with whatever. I have been speaking with a guy over in the classifieds, and he has a similar, albiet different applicatipn requirement. So, I google "laser engravering forum" and guess what popped up at the top?

I cannot even begin to justify a $15K device. All of my name brand Jet tools (18" bandsaw, Xacta table saw, 18" Powermatic Drill Press, and countless other stuff) do not add up anywhere close to the price tag of a single, say, Epilogue laser engraver. And, on top of it all, who the heck wants to do "occasional" one offs for me? I respect that and get it. But, if I could find a "reasonable" machine for my small tasks, I think I would buy in. Yet, I suspect I will get a lot of "that cheapo machine" in which case, since I know nothing, I would end up respecting those opinions.

So, what's a guy to do? I want to be able to do on demand engraving at a piece count around 6 or so a year. Maybe 10 tops. For the convenience, I am willing to buy in at a reasonable cost (way less than 15K) and I don't want to get stuck working a machine to justify its cost.

I see stuff on ebay all the time, but I will not make a move without your concensus.

So, is there a solution?

Mike

Rodne Gold
03-11-2010, 2:12 AM
Why would you want to buy a cow and a dairy for a pint of milk a month - farm it out :)

Frank Corker
03-11-2010, 5:20 AM
Rodney nailed it. You could easily get any number of engravers close to your area to take on the work, even infrequent without having to beg. I'd kill for the opprtunity of working on a new guitar creation, an increased reputation for fine quality work, could be huge!

Mike what a laser could do to enhance your guitars could also be a real plus. Asking someone who does good lasering would be like having two creative minds working in tandem.

Mike Null
03-11-2010, 6:28 AM
Mike

I agree with the others but do a search for mother of pearl and/or abalone and you will find some threads where pictures are shown.

Here's one. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78709

Dan Hintz
03-11-2010, 6:44 AM
Plenty of us don't mind doing one-offs, as long as either the price is right or you make it easy on us. If you want to keep the price low, do as much scud work a you can... give the engraver a properly formatted file (no cleanup necessary), give him diagrams/measurements of where you'd like the thing engraved, let him know how much adjustability he retains (sometimes images don't work well in the initially chosen spot), etc.

Darren Null
03-11-2010, 7:22 AM
....also, the best way is to give the cut bit of guitar to the engraver BEFORE you assemble it:
1) Lasering removes material, so can change the tonal qualities of an acoustic guitar
2) If you have to laser round all the bridges and stuff you have to leave a gap so that the laser head doesn't hit anything and move the piece mid-burn. Best to do it before you attach anything.

Martin Boekers
03-11-2010, 8:12 AM
You may find in the process, that the laser may give you more options as a luthier than "just" decoration.

You may find it quick and repeatable for cut the bracing, fret spacings, custom sound holes etc.

Keep an open mind an use your creativity.

I agree with others, at this point farm it out.

You may be surprized and find someone who would love to barter with you for the engraving.

Just a thought.

Marty

Belinda Barfield
03-11-2010, 8:56 AM
Mike, I sent you a PM.

Here's another thought. Instead of engraving the guitar itself, what if you used an engraved medallion either attached to, or inset into, the guitar. I know nothing about guitars but it seems this would eliminate the possibility of changing the sound of the instrument. Also, you could get all six or so done at one time. By using a medallion you also eliminate the risk of an engraver damaging your work. Sadly, accidents do happen.

Mike OMelia
03-11-2010, 9:26 AM
Doh! I did not expect that level of PM response. Thank you all and I will consider all of your recommendations.

At this point, I do not want learn how to laser engrave... so I am going to find someone to do it, as most of you suggested.

There are no issues with sound. The main thing I want engraved is the peghead plate. This just a flat piece of hardwood that gets laminated to the peghead for appearance. I am also toying with the idea of engraving the inside of the sound box (instead of using a paper label). Some of my guitars have two different pegheads. If you care, you can search under the general forum to see pics of that (search "harp guitar").

The most an engraver would see of my projects would be the flat, unshaped peghead veneer(s) (or face plate) and the braced back of the sound box (the back would not be attached to the sides & top).

Thank you!

Mike

Mike Null
03-11-2010, 9:30 AM
You will surely change the sound quality if you engrave inside the sound box.

Dave Johnson29
03-11-2010, 9:59 AM
so that the laser head doesn't hit anything and move the piece mid-burn.

:D:D Now THAT sounds like the voice of experience, Darren.

Darren Null
03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Now THAT sounds like the voice of experience, Darren.
Oh yes. Not lately though

Anthony Scira
03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Mike I am on my third guitar. Had the laser for a couple years and I am just starting to use the laser for luthier work.

Just with raising kids and work it leaves very little time for hobbies. The signed inside of my 3rd guitar has the date of Dec 2008, a month and a half before my second was born. (Still not done) Coincidence ? I think not !

Hit me up an email I am sure we can work something out ! Love to take care of fellow luthiers. And in my case I use that term lightly :D

Mike Milli
03-12-2010, 9:32 PM
Mike, I had a similar dilemma to yours. I do custom building, and was looking for someone to do some engraving. The local jewelry store had the equipment, and did a very nice job, but it cost me $35.00 per piece to have them engraved.

I found another company that was about 45 minutes from my shop that was WAY cheaper. They charged $5.00 per piece, and I was very happy with their work, and certainly their price. The problem was that I was too busy to drive over to their shop whenever I needed some engraving done, and if I shipped it, they sometimes didn't do the engraving the way I wanted.

A used ULS 100 watt laser came up for sale that had problems. They wanted to sell it "as is", so I made them a pretty low offer, and they accepted. 30 years in electronics paid it's dividends, and for $16.00 worth of parts, the ULS was back up and running.

Now I'm doing all of my own engraving, and like one of the other posters mentioned, I'm using it in ways that I never dreamed of before I owned it. This past Christmas, I got a bunch of key-chains with hardwood tags. I engraved my company logo on one side, and the customer's name on the other. I shipped these with their order during the holidays and they were very well received. I have also started engraving my logo and company name on many other accessories that I sell.

Where I am going with this rambling is to make two points. 1) I think you can find someone to do your on of a kind engraving for a reasonable price. 2) I think if you ended up getting a laser, you would probably end up using it way more than you ever imagined.

I know those two points contradict each other, but this was exactly my dilemma not too long ago.