PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some shop time

Bobby McCarley
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Finally got some shop time between the freak snow storms, rain and cold weather
in south Louisiana. I had a flag inlay kit for some time that I picked up at Woodcraft and some inlay kits that I wanted to do. The inlay kits are really nice but you can't get in a hurry with them. And the blank from Ed, a resin blank makes a really good looking pen. Of all the inlay kits, the only one that gave me fits was the eagle kit, It blew out twice on me but I was able to salvage it and it came out great. The praying hands kit I got for my son who made Decon in his church awhile back. I still have one more kit from Constant, but work comes before pleasure, so I hope to get it done this weekend.
For anyone wanting to try the inlay kits, they are worth it.

Matt Ranum
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Nice! I've been wanting to try the inlay kits but am afraid to with my pudgy butter fingers.:p

Do you have any options on wood types with those? Or are they just as you see?

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Really nice pens. I do like the inlays.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 8:04 AM
Beautiful work Bobby!

Allen Neighbors
03-11-2010, 8:21 AM
Awesome work!! Gorgeous pens... well done, and a nice save on the eagle.
May I ask.....What style pen kit is that? And where do you purchase it?

David E Keller
03-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Great looking pens... I'm working with Constant right now on a group of custom caduceus kits. He is able to make the pens with different background woods but it needs to contrast with the inlay. You can send him blanks as well if there's something special that you want.

Talked to him on the phone the other night and he seems like a great guy. I'll post some photos of mine once I get them turned.

John Terefenko
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Bob, very nicely done on all of them. Constant is really showing his talents and continues to keep adding to his line of great work. The pens are truely masterpieces. Can I ask are you going to sell these and if so what kind of prices will you be asking??? Thanks for showing.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Very nice pens.

Bobby McCarley
03-11-2010, 1:03 PM
Thanks for all of the comments, they are always appreciated. Constant does some amazing work when it comes to the laser work. I check his web site almost daily to see whats new. Matt, he does give some choice of woods and color, but not a lot. For the most part, he's right on target. As David stated, he will work with you if you want something special. Allen, the pen kits are the Elegant Sierra from Arizona Silhouette. I think other venders have similar kits, but with different names.

Usually, when I sell a pen, cost depends on amount of work involved putting the kit togther. But most of the time I take the cost of kit and material and double it. I know some charge a lot more for hese type of pens, but you have to look at your area and what he market will carry.

Bobby
Louisiana

Kevin J Lalonde
03-11-2010, 2:28 PM
Nice pens bobby!! Where at in LA are you? I"m about to move back home to around Ville Platte, near Opelousas.

Donny Lawson
03-11-2010, 8:42 PM
Very nice pens. I love the eagle pen. Where did you the decal?
Donny

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 8:55 PM
Really interesting concept!! I get the feeling that penturning is a huge vortex in and of itself!! Just from what I have seen posted on the creek, the styles, combinations, etc. are endless.

This inlay method is certainly striking - very nice work!

Allen Neighbors
03-12-2010, 7:43 AM
Donny, it's not a decal. It's a laser cut wooden inlay. :)