PDA

View Full Version : Maple Platter Blanks

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I have a question and couldn't find a answer. I have a chance to pick up a bunch of maple and most of it is 12" X 1 1/2" to 2" thick. Would make some great platters. Now the problem. Most of it is spalted. Is or will this be a issue using them as utility plates? Thanks.

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't think so as long as the spalting doesn't affect the integrity or strength of the wood.

My understanding is that wood mold is fairly harmless when ingested especially in the minute quantities you would get from use of a spalted wood platter. The risk would potentially be to you from a respiratory standpoint if you turn a bunch of spalted stuff without lung protection.

I'd eat off a spalted wood platter no questions asked.

Ted Calver
03-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree with David. Depends on the extent of the spalt. If it's too far gone and the wood is punky and you can't get a good finish on it, you run the risk of food residue becoming embedded in the wood and causing a health risk. We've been eating salad from a spalted bowl for years with no probs. We never let it soak in water for any length of time and always wipe it dry immediately after use. SOP for woodenware of any kind.

Allen Neighbors
03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Ditto... all the above, Bernie, go for it..

Baxter Smith
03-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Don't know enough to tell you anything other than they should look great!

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 6:46 AM
Hey Bernie, have it shipped to me and my family will sacrifice themselves to try it out for you!!:D

I think Ted has correctly stated the potential problem - food residue. There has been a lot written on wooden cutting boards, and the health risks associated with them because of imbedded food particles and bacteria. Notwithstanding that, I have never personally heard of anyone becoming sick from one, though I am sure it happens.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2010, 8:01 AM
Bernie - Whatever fungus that caused the spalting needs oxygen and moisture to survive - both of those items are eliminated once the platter is completed.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the platter real soon!

Steve Vaughan
03-11-2010, 8:33 AM
Wouldn't worry about a thing and this should make for beautiful platters!

William Bachtel
03-11-2010, 9:07 AM
Are they going to eat the platter, or the food on top of it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2010, 9:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will see about getting them and making some eating plates for us. The wife thought they would be awful pretty to put on the table. Not sure what finish I will use. All my plates have Mahoney's walnut oil. Maybe I will use Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal.

Joe Pierce
03-11-2010, 11:12 AM
For years the meet cutting industry turned away from wood butcher blocks in favor of plastic. But, it has now been determined that plastic breeds more bacteria because it scores and you cannot clean in the scratches. They are now saying wood is better, because you can clean it more easily.

Dave Ogren
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Bernie,

If you are worried why not turn them into chargers ??

Dave

Mike Peace
03-11-2010, 1:06 PM
I would not have concern about the spalting. I am more concerned about blanks with a lot of critter holes that I might not normally fill on a bowl. I had to do repair work filling holes and would not want a utility piece with any worm or bug holes left unfilled that might retain food bits making it less sanitary.