PDA

View Full Version : David Marks, Wood Works and DIY/HGTV

Hal Flynt
11-04-2004, 1:46 PM
As I mentioned in a thread Monday that David Marks had mentioned that all the shows that he was contracted to do were in the can and he hadn't heard anything about a renewal. I sent an email to a client of mine with Scripps (parent company of both DIY and HGTV) as follows (edited for SMC).

<Quote>

As you know, I like my woodworking shows. I had the opportunity to once again spend some time with David Marks, the host of Wood Works on DIY, at our local Woodcraft Store this past Saturday. It is my opinion, that he is the best on television. David’s Show is the only Fine Woodworking show on Television. Norm Abrams is a Master Carpenter and the New Yankee Workshop is a favorite too. Bruce Johnson’s show is good for the beginner and the show about Tools and Techniques is a good entry level show. But when it comes to building heirloom quality furniture, Woodworks is the one to watch. Even if his style of furniture doesn’t match a viewer’s taste, his techniques do crossover to all the other styles. It’s the joinery and crafting that makes his show so appealing. Saturday he mentioned that his current contract had been completed last year and that he hadn’t been contacted regarding a renewal, which would be a big mistake in my opinion.

If you cruise the links below, [from my favorite woodworking forum SAW MILL CREEK (SMC) regarding the Show Wood Works.], you’ll see that I am not alone. There are viewers that pay the extra $$$ for DIY on cable because of this one show. Of course we would like to see more of them and longer shows to get more in depth understanding of his craft. He said that a lot of the projects shown on television take 400- 600 hours to make and finish and they have to be reduced to 20 minutes of broadcast time giving him very limited detail explanations. Also, the sponsors know that woodworkers spend a lot of money on our hobbies, and I for one will spend more for something at Woodcraft because of their commitment to my satisfaction and because they sponsor my favorite TV woodworking show. I am happy to be able to find Wood Works on at 8:00 AM each weekday morning which now means that I don’t go into work until 9-9:30 AM. (bankers hours you know).

<end Quote>

I added some links to various topics pertaining to Wood Works.

I suggest that if you are so inclined that you write up something in Word and visit the links below and copy/paste them to let the non-woodworkers at headquarters what you likes and dislikes are.

It’s never a bad idea to keep DIY and HGTV aware of our interest in woodworking and the type shows we are interested in seeing as well as the schedule for them.

Here is the parent company Scripps address: corpcomm@scripps.com <mailto:corpcomm@scripps.com>

Viewer Services at HGTV
[url]http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/about_us/text/0,1783,HGTV_3080_4964,00.html

Viewer Services at DIY

[url]http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/newsletter/text/0,2019,DIY_14146_14234,00.html

Let's not forget a sponsor:

Woodcraft: custserv@woodcraft.com

Ted Shrader
11-04-2004, 2:15 PM
Hal -

Thanks for the kick start. It is always a good idea to let companies/advertisers/publications, etc know when you are satisfied. The hear many more complaints than praise and may even put more weight on a positive response.

Regards,
Ted

Chris Padilla
11-04-2004, 2:19 PM
I hate my Comcast cable...in order to get DIY, I have to get the triple-diamond/platinum service and I simpy refuse to pay them $100+ just to get that so I can get DIY. I don't know why they don't move it into the expanded-basic package but it is frustrating. I have yet to see any of David's shows....

John Gregory
11-04-2004, 2:22 PM
My wife and I sent an email to DIY viewer services with similar comments. We told them the main reason we pay more for DIY is because of David Marks. I hope they get the message from us WWs

Jim Fancher
11-04-2004, 2:24 PM
David was the single person that resparked my interest in woodworking.

Hal Flynt
11-04-2004, 2:48 PM
Not sure what happened to the links when I TRIED TO EDIT.

DIY http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/newsletter/text/0,2019,DIY_14146_14234,00.html

HGTV http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/about_us/text/0,1783,HGTV_3080_4964,00.html

Gary Max
11-04-2004, 2:48 PM
Chris don't fell lonely---until I started surfing --- I had never even heard of David.
I have checked out his web site and got to say his stuff is sharp--great--perfect---BIG bucks---wish I could---maybe someday
Of course we only get three channels on our TV which aint on very much.

Jon Olson
11-04-2004, 5:12 PM
I love that show and will send my thoughts to the powers that be. Chris, I can tape a couple of shows for you if your interested.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_wwk/0,2044,DIY_14350_PST,00.html
Heres the current show schedule.

Jon

Chris Padilla
11-04-2004, 5:19 PM
Hey, that would be mighty cool of ya, Jon! :)

Ken Garlock
11-04-2004, 5:38 PM
I hate my Comcast cable...in order to get DIY, I have to get the triple-diamond/platinum service and I simpy refuse to pay them $100+ just to get that so I can get DIY. I don't know why they don't move it into the expanded-basic package but it is frustrating. I have yet to see any of David's shows....

Chris, the answer to your problem is simple: Dish Network. Check it out at www.dishnetwork.com You have a particular advantage in that the satellites are directly over California. 100% digital signals, you can't beat it with a stick :)

Dennis Peacock
11-04-2004, 5:40 PM
I emailed them. I don't know if I'll hear back from them, but I at least emailed them about my favorite Woodworks show. ;)

Tim Morton
11-04-2004, 6:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Padilla

Chris, the answer to your problem is simple: Dish Network. Check it out at www.dishnetwork.com You have a particular advantage in that the satellites are directly over California. 100% digital signals, you can't beat it with a stick

Not true, at least not on the east coast....I subscribe to Dishnetwork and have the america top120 plan which with my extra's runs me about $80ish a month....in order for me to subscribe to DIY I need to jump into the top bracket "america top 180" plan which would add $30 bucks or so to my bill each month. I want DIY but think its unfair that I can't add it ala carte to my already high bill.

Jerry Olexa
11-04-2004, 6:25 PM
I hate my Comcast cable...in order to get DIY, I have to get the triple-diamond/platinum service and I simpy refuse to pay them $100+ just to get that so I can get DIY. I don't know why they don't move it into the expanded-basic package but it is frustrating. I have yet to see any of David's shows....Chris, I have Comcast here for cable and internet . I contacted them by phone as I was not then getting DIY. We had to drop one of the +300 channels we were getting and she immediately added DIY. Whole thing took 5 minutes. G Luck.

Chris Padilla
11-04-2004, 7:01 PM
Chris, the answer to your problem is simple: Dish Network. Check it out at www.dishnetwork.com (http://www.dishnetwork.com/) You have a particular advantage in that the satellites are directly over California. 100% digital signals, you can't beat it with a stick :)
I keep waffling on the satellite stuff. Maybe I'm too lazy to have it done. My neighbor as Dish Network and loves it. Comcast (AT&T then) pissed him off one time too many and he went dish. I don't know...I should make the switch but I keep "forgetting" to do it. Tivo would be cool, too.

Chris, I have Comcast here for cable and internet . I contacted them by phone as I was not then getting DIY. We had to drop one of the +300 channels we were getting and she immediately added DIY. Whole thing took 5 minutes. G Luck.
Jerry, I might give that whirl. Thanks!

Joe Mioux
11-04-2004, 7:25 PM
The only reason I got DIY (I forget which programming package I have) on my DishNetwork was for David Marks' show. I have three receivers and I think I pay around $75.00 per month. As a side note, the digital signal from the satelite is wonderful; much better than when I subscribed to cable.

And I too will send an email.

regards Joe

Herb Blair
11-04-2004, 8:37 PM
Chris,
Direct TV - its part of the basic package, or at least one step up.
I pay $39 month. DIY is channel 229 and Woodworks comes on in ten minutes.
so this is short.
I understand that David Marks will be at the Arlington Texas Woodworkers show on Dec 11. I'll be there...

Christopher Stahl
11-04-2004, 8:53 PM
Get DirecTV and you can use the DirecTivo. Chris, I've been using satellite since 1996 and I haven't looked back. Cable can't even come close, not even with their digital. I lived in the Bay Area up until fall of 2003, Comcast doesn't cut it.
:)
I'll stop now.

I love WoodWorks, I record every show with the season pass on my DirecTivo. Oops, I did it again.

Seriously though, awesome show!

chris

Craig Colvin
11-04-2004, 9:05 PM
I love WoodWorks, it's a great show and I'm very impressed with David Marks, I too will write a letter.

I love the program so much that it is the only TV show that I archive to DVD. I currently have 37 episodes of WoodWorks on DVD and am recording more every day.

BTW Chris, if you are looking at satellite and are every considering HDTV I would recommend DirecTV over Dish.

Mathew Nedeljko
11-04-2004, 9:34 PM
David Marks is a big reason why I started woodworking two years ago, and he is the only reason why I subscribe to DIY. I'm on Time Warner digital cable, and I even upgraded to the DVR (Tivo) so I can record his show every time it comes on. I've got 5 full 6 hr tapes of his shows, and there are still new episodes coming on all the time.

I kind of feel like a kid watching Barney videos, I can watch the re-runs over and over and never get bored.:p

I'm writing to the network right now letting them know how I feel about the show and it's importance to my continuing subscription to DIY.

Hal, since you know David personally, how about sending him a personal invitation asking him to join us here at the Creek? I'd love to see him sharing his knowledge and expertise in a few posts from time to time.

Jerry Olexa
11-04-2004, 11:33 PM
David has great shows. One of the few that really gets into the details and craftmanship of WWing and does it in a quick, informative way. He has a love for what he does and I personally love the show, I dashed off a couple Emails but the 2nd and 3rd addresses did not work. Lets do our best to keep this teriffic show on permanently!!

Kelly C. Hanna
11-05-2004, 6:47 AM
I love his shows too. I try and catch them whenever I can. I sure hope they don't cancel him. Thanks for the links....I'll write in for sure.

Jon Olson
11-05-2004, 9:40 AM
DirecTV user here, $42.00 per month with local channels and DIY. I emailed yesterday. The show was perfect last night as I'm looking for wood to make my own hand plane. I know its not as simple as a skilled craftsman makes it seem. But he outlines the skills and steps needed so perfectly that you really feel that you can run out and build his project. Thats what I like. Never met him but from this forum and another, everybody who has taken classes from say he's down to earth and humble. Now thats class. I hope he can make the trip down to one of the bay area woodcrafts soon, since he lives in Santa Rosa, CA.

Jon

Michael Ballent
11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Chris, the answer to your problem is simple: Dish Network. Check it out at www.dishnetwork.com You have a particular advantage in that the satellites are directly over California. 100% digital signals, you can't beat it with a stick :)
Dish Network or Direct TV... Dump the cable company :D Each of the satellite providers have the plusses and minusses but one thing they have in common is that they do not charge as much for getting DIY/HGTV

Chris Padilla
11-05-2004, 1:26 PM
Okay, I gotta get off my duff and look more seriously into satellite cable. We use Netflix for our movie fix anyway....

Hal Flynt
11-10-2004, 4:02 PM
Well, well, well!

I just got off the phone, after a 15 minute phone conversation. with a Ms. July Taylor of DIY Network. She had been forwarded my email and wanted to make sure that I knew the the current schedule for Wood Works and was pleased to find the interest. I invited her to at least "lurk" around the creek and see what we think about our Woodworking shows.

She informed me that the New Productions air on Thursday nights at 8:30 PM and are re-aired on Saturdays at 9:00 PM EST. (The 8:00 AM shows are repeats). There are currently 13 new, never aired shows "in the can" to show this season. They have no plans to cancel Wood Works in the future.

I tried to let her know that woodworkers are a dedicated bunch that have an expensive hobby and like to learn and share information. I urged her to lurk here and get some ideas for future productions. She suggested the DIY Forums, I countered and mentioned I visited them but found them too basic and if I really wanted to know something, I would come to the creek.

Go Saw Mill Creek!

John Gregory
11-10-2004, 4:25 PM
Thanks for the update Hal. I think the only way a cable network can tell how large the viewing audience is for a show, is viewer feedback. My wife and I love watching Woodworks. I hope it is on a long long time.

Jon Olson
11-10-2004, 6:01 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm sure there are emails and calls going to all sorts of people at DIY right now. Hopefully this great show can continue. (As long as D. Marks wants to make the shows of course) ;)

Jon

Robert Mayer
11-10-2004, 6:27 PM
Great show on there. Considering the small percentage of woodworkers out there its surprising they have a show dedicated to it.

John Gregory
11-10-2004, 6:51 PM
The New Yankee Workshop has not been on the air for years just due to us woodworkers. Lots of non-woodworkers, and want-to-be's watch these shows too. When I started talking about wood working at work, I was amazed at the interest in it. Lots of folks would love to do it, but just don't. Many do love watching masters like Norm and David do amazing things with wood. I think that the love of beautiful things made from wood appeals to the majority of the human race.

just my two cents

John