PDA

View Full Version : Asian 15" open end Wide belt sanders

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Anyone want to offer me some info/experience on the ShopFox W1689, Griz G9983, Gen Int'l 15-040, Sunhill SDM15 wide belt sanders? They all look they come off the same assembly line. The Gen Intl looks like it doesn't have a platten, instead they went with an 8" drum on the bottom. I'm looking to upgrade from my Delta 18/36 drum sander. Any and all relavent info is appreciated!

Thanks!

Steve Kohn
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I have the G9983 running in my shop. I use it on almost every project. I replaced the Ryobi W1600 drum sander with it. What would you like to know?

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-11-2010, 5:59 PM
In general how do you like it? Anything that bugs you about it? How do the belts hold up? What belts do you use? Belt cost? Any issues with snipe? How is the finish?

I'm thinking of replacing the SLOW drum sander I have. How is the sanding speed?

Thanks,

Mark Rakestraw
03-11-2010, 9:16 PM
Hi Mac,
I've had this sander in my shop for 2 years and have been quite happy with it. The best deal I've found on belts are Mirka that I buy through Altlantic Plywood (in the $8 each range). The down side is I have to buy them in lots of 10 to get that price.
Mark

Steve Kohn
03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I use the machine on most projects. I have been using the belts sold by Grizzly with no problems. I only have 3 grits (100, 150, and 240). Seems to be a good selection for what I do. I do make sure to hand sand everything before finishing anyway. I just do a heck of a lot less hand sanding.

I did experience a little snipe when I first got the machine, but that was not having the proper support for infeed and outfeed. Once I figured out that problem there have been no other problems.

The only thing that bugs me is when I try to take too much off the workpiece. You get no warning before the machine shuts off the sanding drum. The ammeter doesnt even get to 20 amps when it pops. And then you have to cycle the entire machine off to get it to reset.

Mark Rakestraw
03-13-2010, 5:07 PM
Hi Steve,
My machine has never shut down in spite of pegging out the ampmeter at 30 plus amps for short periods of time. I think you must have a defective sensor of somesort and it would be worth your while to call Grizzly tech service.
Mark

Steve Kohn
03-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi Steve,
My machine has never shut down in spite of pegging out the ampmeter at 30 plus amps for short periods of time. I think you must have a defective sensor of somesort and it would be worth your while to call Grizzly tech service.
Mark

Thanks for the input. I will have to give them a call.

Ed Hazel
03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
My G9983 shuts down when it hits 30 amps for about a second or two. It does run at 15 amps no load.

I like my G9983 I bought it in sep/09 I have only bought the Grizzly belts and have been surprised how long they have lasted I bought a few belts of different grits I mostly use 150 I usually go over with a ROS lightly with 180 and am good to go to finishing. IMO will spend less on wide belts than you would on drum sander paper.

The platen makes a big difference I would not bother getting a wide belt without one.

I set mine up with a digital read out makes life much easier

Steve Kohn
03-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I checked my machine this weekend. I opened it up and found the limit switch. It was set at 30 Amps. I rotated it a little back and forth and then reset it to 30 Amps. Then I put a board thru while dropping the drum and it went to 30 Amps without shutting off. So it looks like I'm good after all.

Thanks for the advice.

dirk martin
09-20-2010, 9:01 PM
Ed, can you tell me what digital read out you put on that sander? I'd like to put one on mine, too.

Ed Hazel
09-21-2010, 3:05 AM
Dirk

PM sent

jim hagens
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Look for a used safety speed cut 3760 or timesaver sanding master. It will be more money but well worth the 37".