PDA

View Full Version : Does Cedar need to dry like other wood?

Donny Lawson
03-10-2010, 9:36 PM
I know Cedar has it's own oils but I have a Aromatic Cedar blank that I have sealed right now but after I turn it do I need to leave it thick and dry it or make it thin and finish it?Also, what kind of sealer would you use?,Tung oil or BLO etc... The log has been down for over a year but was about 16" through.
Donny

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 9:41 PM
It needs to dry like all the others... In fact, cedar can be pretty prone to cracks. You might get away with a really thin, one time turning if that's what you want to turn, but otherwise I'd do it in two steps.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 9:51 PM
Yes it does need to be treated like other woods. It is a lot more prone to cracking but when finished can be beautiful.

Steve Mawson
03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Agree with the others, prone to cracking, so should be turned twice. At least that is what I have done. Also it helps to let wood rest after the first turning. You are releasing a lot of stress when you turn a piece of wood, even if it is fairly dry, into a bowl and it needs to rest to figure out what shape it wants to go to. Then you can turn it back to round and it will probably stay that way.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Also be aware that when you go back to finish turn the Cedar after roughing it out and drying - that it is very prone to cracking when sanding! Just a little bit of heat and that stuff cracks big time! So watch your lathe speed and amount of pressure on the sand paper!

Good luck with it!

Donny Lawson
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks, I am going to turn it this weekend.I took some pics on my phone but the card didn't work or something.I will try some with my regular camera and add some pics that way.
Donny