PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't help myself...made another cane

Matt Ranum
03-10-2010, 9:21 PM
I couldn't help myself :rolleyes: I kept moving this little piece of figured Walnut around and every time I picked it up thinking it would make a nice cane handle, so I wore myself down until I gave in and made another. I already made my folks 2 and have no idea what I'm gonna do with it. But I was right, it makes a nice handle. Its hard to make out in the pics but in the second one there is a grain pattern that works as a spear point aiming straight at the handle. My pictures don't really do it justice.

Between turning pens and canes I don't know when I'm ever gonna try out my new bowl gouges I got for Christmas. :p

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 9:24 PM
Really nice cane. Love the wood.

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 9:35 PM
It looks great, Matt. I may have missed in on your previous thread, but how did you end up linking the handle to the shaft of the cane? Also, what did you end up doing at the tip?

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 9:38 PM
Matt, that is certainly a beautiful piece of walnut!! And, you were right - it made a very nice handle for the cane. Great work again!!

Matt Ranum
03-10-2010, 9:45 PM
Thanks guys, David in joining the handle and shaft I just dowel it. On this one I went bigger for more inner strength. The diameter is 1" of material so I went with a 1/2" x 4" dowel, 2" into the shaft and 1-3/4" into the handle plus the 1/4" strip of Maple. The shaft is tapered from 1" at the handle to 7/8" at the foot, I just use replaceable rubber tips you can find at the hardware stores. I bought a 4 pack for I think $2.00.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Very nice work Matt! Beautiful handle! Bet that is something to see in the sunlight!