PDA

View Full Version : air compressor vibration isolator

Karl Card
03-10-2010, 6:54 PM
I just bought a husky 60 gallon air compressor. The instructions say to mount it to the floor with vibration isolators. I dont have a problem with that but this big orange place doesnt seem to carry them to go with the air compressor. It is funny how retail giants want to talk about "complete package" yeah right... i am furious....

but anyway how could I make my own? could I use automotive bushings? I have never messed with these vibration isolators before so I do not know how firm or how thick or ????? they need to be.

Julian Wong
03-10-2010, 8:16 PM
Use hockey pucks available from most sporting goods store. Drill a though hole and you're set. Much cheaper than buying any vibration isolators from supply houses.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2010, 8:20 PM
Hockey pucks should work well, I'd believe.

Anything rubber that will allow you to put a bolt or stud into the concrete.....

Karl Card
03-10-2010, 8:41 PM
thanks folks... appreciate it... i went to grainger and they wanted 28 dollars apiece... i said NO....

Jeremy Brant
03-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I used hockey pucks and wedge concrete anchors. Besides the 600 lb anchor that's the compressor, that sucker isn't moving. I think the pucks were something like $3.50 each at play it again sports (only place I could find them around here).

Bill Huber
03-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Go to WW Grainger and do a search on them and they have tons of different ones, a hockey puck is really hard for vibration damping I would think.

My compressor is on a cement floor and I use the type with a nut on one side and a bolt on the other. I put a stud in the floor and screws the mounts down and then set the compressor on top and bolted it down.

Scott Stafford
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
McMaster.com has hundreds for different specific purposes. I used something very close to these... about $8 a piece but design to carry that weight forever.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-mounts/=65yet4

Scott in Montana

Chris Padilla
03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
thanks folks... appreciate it... i went to grainger and they wanted 28 dollars apiece... i said NO....

Doh! I was about to suggest Grainger. I used their vibration hangers to hang my DC from the rafters in my garage.

Victor Robinson
03-11-2010, 2:56 AM
bench cookies

Rick Lizek
03-11-2010, 6:09 AM
You don't need to bolt it to the floor. Some pieces of a heavy rubber mat will be fine. In 35 years of working in factories and commercial and custom shop I don't recall ever seeing a compressor bolted to the floor. At the most lag it to some wood blocks with rubber padding underneath.

Mark Major
03-11-2010, 7:32 AM
Hi Karl...I just use some squares cut out of the tread portion of an old tire for dampeners...works very well. Mark

Mike Cutler
03-11-2010, 8:44 AM
Karl

Hit your local Tractor Supply, and get a "Stall Mat". Set the compresson on the mat and you should be fine.
A 4'x6' Stall mat should be about $30.00. It will weigh about a hundred lbs though.

Ken Whitney
03-11-2010, 8:46 AM
I glued up a stack of 3/16" or so cork board material into a "cookie" about 1" thick. I drilled a hole through and topped it off with a steel plate (one of the Simpson products). Bolted to the floor.

Ken

Scott T Smith
03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Karl...I just use some squares cut out of the tread portion of an old tire for dampeners...works very well. Mark

Me too, along with pieces of old mud flaps, stall matts, etc.

Neil Brooks
03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Hit your local Tractor Supply, and get a "Stall Mat". Set the compresson on the mat and you should be fine.
A 4'x6' Stall mat should be about $30.00. It will weigh about a hundred lbs though.

Mike,

Never heard of such a thing. Googled it. NEAT!

Should I assume this would make a near perfect thing to set atop my concrete slab shop floor, generally, for anti-fatigue, grip, comfort, etc.???

One advantage to living in Northern Colorado: THIS kind of thing is easy to come by!

Thanks, and ... excuse the interruption :)

Randal Stevenson
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Mike,

Never heard of such a thing. Googled it. NEAT!

Should I assume this would make a near perfect thing to set atop my concrete slab shop floor, generally, for anti-fatigue, grip, comfort, etc.???

One advantage to living in Northern Colorado: THIS kind of thing is easy to come by!

Thanks, and ... excuse the interruption :)

Anti-fatigue matts generally have holes in them. These holes help with spills, liquid on the floor, etc. We have some smaller matts at work, that do not have holes, and if they are set on the ground before it is perfectly dry, or if there is a spill, you can step and slip with or because of the matts.

I avoid the full kind, to the point I want to pitch those XXXX matts at work. (won't happen until someone is injured though:mad: )

Neil Brooks
03-11-2010, 1:56 PM
^^ Ahh.

Excellent info, Randal. Thanks.

Sometimes ... a good deal isn't necessarily a good deal ... unless I use my shelf pin jig, and drill .... oh ... never mind ;)

David G Baker
03-11-2010, 5:28 PM
I have used pieces of old auto tires as isolators. They work great.

Karl Card
03-11-2010, 8:44 PM
Karl

shoot i like that idea..... that piece would be big enough to set under my compressor and cut it down to size for my table saw and band saw etc...

thanks