PDA

View Full Version : Beetle problem

Stephen Stark
03-10-2010, 6:36 PM
I started using a nice stash of black walnut I had squirreled away and while planing I discovered the dreaded bug holes.:mad: Very small, needle sized, so I am assuming that it is the powder post beetle. The wood was air dried for 10+ years and is very nice, too nice to discard. If I could come up with a way to heat treat what is the recommended time frame. I have seen various times but the temp is usually always in the 135 degree zone. Any literature available would be appreciated. Thanks

Danny Hamsley
03-10-2010, 6:52 PM
They may only be in the sapwood. I have heard that the heat treatment needs to be 130 degrees internal wood temperature for about 5 hours.

I hate those bugs. They give me fits too. I have started spraying my fresh cut lumber with a borate salt to prevent infestation, but the borate treatment does no good once the wood is infected.

Steve Kohn
03-11-2010, 2:19 PM
[QUOTE=Danny Hamsley;1369081]They may only be in the sapwood. I have heard that the heat treatment needs to be 130 degrees internal wood temperature for about 5 hours. QUOTE]

I've read the same thing. I have heard suggested that you move the wood outside, properly stickered, and cover and seal it in black plastic. A couple of days in the sun should kill the little critters.