PDA

View Full Version : How to glue up compound angles?

Stephen Saar
03-10-2010, 6:21 PM
I'm making some small flower boxes for my Mom, and I have the sides angled out 22.5 degrees in both directions, i.e. the box is a rectangle and all four sides slant out at 22.5 degrees. I have cut all my miters and everything fits up correctly, and I'm going to use a floating tendon to join the edges together, but I can't seem to find a decent way to clamp everything together for the glue up. Any suggestions on how to clamp everything together for the glue up?

Thanks.

-Stephen

johnny means
03-10-2010, 6:33 PM
The way I do this sort of joint would be to use a v-fold. This would involve taping the seams, applying glue, then folding it shut. Your tenons won't allow folding but multiple layers of tape pulled tight is a great way to clamp these types of shapes.

Paul Atkins
03-10-2010, 6:35 PM
Pinch dogs or band clamps are the way I do it. I also use long rubber strips that I get off the center of weatherstripping to wrap the pieces and the glue doesn't stick.

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 6:40 PM
Band clamps are probably the easay approach.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2010, 7:12 PM
Strong rubber bands...old bicycle innertube...packaging tape...that "tape" used to secure gauze/bandages to one's arm as it can be stretched and pulled tight and it sticks to itself rather well.

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2010, 7:46 PM
Just hold it until the glue dries. It's very zen. You can chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo while you are waiting and you will gain much spiritual enlightenment from the whole process. Of course you might not want to let your neighbors see you doing this...

george wilson
03-10-2010, 8:20 PM
Surgical latex tubing can be very useful. Keep it in airtight baggies so it doesn't turn dark and start cracking. Get it from local medical suppliers.

Woodcraft used to sell big spring loaded squeeze clamps made of metal. They had a 2" strip on each jaw with sharp little teeth that dug in at any angle,and held quite well. Someone must still sell them. I have a pair from the 60's.

Woodcraft,or LV also sells real stretchy plastic tape with 1 adhesive side.Someone mentioned it already.

Regular masking tape usually is o.k. if the parts fit well together(as they should).

Steve Kohn
03-11-2010, 2:18 PM
My local Menards sells rubber tubing in 10 foot long sections. I don't know if it is "surgical" tubing but it is very stretchy. Make a loop of the right size and it will hold any shape together. Glue won't stick to the tubing either.

Matthew Hills
03-11-2010, 2:54 PM
My choices:
- draw bore your tenons?
- hold for hot hide glue to set
- temporary attachment to give band clamps purchase... (finish nails that you later remove and fill; or carpet tape/reversible glue some blocks on)

Matt

Darnell Hagen
03-11-2010, 6:00 PM
Yellow glue the tenons in, apply a gel Cyanoacrylate to the end grain, hold together for fifteen seconds, don't move until the yellow glue dries.

David Winer
03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm making some small flower boxes for my Mom, and I have the sides angled out 22.5 degrees in both directions, i.e. the box is a rectangle and all four sides slant out at 22.5 degrees. I have cut all my miters and everything fits up correctly ... Any suggestions on how to clamp everything together for the glue up?
-Stephen
I made large flower boxes with angled out-sides but didn't use glue at all. Deck screws held the parts in place during assembly, and remained as the sole fasteners. Several years old and still going strong out in the weather.

Flower boxes require drainage anyway so there is no need for watertight construction. I've made a number of such boxes over the years and have good results re longevity by coating the insides with ordinary roofing cement from the hardware store.