PDA

View Full Version : I got to thinking, "If this thing is never going to have to hold anything...

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 6:15 PM
why does it need a bottom?

This block of wood and I have had several confrontations. It started when I decided to do my 1st recess mount and I cut the recess perfectly in between the range of my smallest jaws and the next size up. Hmmm...

Not willing to pay $60 to Woodcraft for the 35mm jaws that should have cost $37.99 (that's another story that's covered in one of the many Super Nova2 threads), I decided to widen the recess and, since I didn't want to have different plateaus in the recess, I went as deep as I went wide. Each step is a learning experience.

Next came the punky spots and tear out and the new Hunter carbide ringy thing and eventually, I got the piece of mystery grab bag wood sorta looking like a bowl. After that came the need to swap it around and try to figure out what to do with the seriously deep recess. So next came the new Cole Jaws and that led me to discover that the Woodcraft insert for my Nova Lathe and SN2 chuck was not touching the inner face of the chuck which made wobble a fairly reliable outcome. Because the chuck was mated by thread contact only, sometimes it lined up sorta OK and other times (like when I mounted the Cole jaws), it gave off seismic readings.

A call to Tim and coming to grips with the fact that while the other SN2 I had did have the Teknatool insert, I had interfered with the mating surfaces between the insert and the spindle by sticking on one of those, now not so spiffy, nylon washers that make it easy to remove your now wobbling chuck.

Fast forward to this morning and the moment of truth. What to do with the uncooperative bowl that has caused me to buy more turning accessories?

After I mounted the bowl in the now true spinning Cole jaws, I got the idea that maybe a bottom on this bowl was superfluous. Well, the idea actually came to me earlier, while the bowl was chuck mounted in the recess and I decided to take out a bit more of the inner wall of the bowl and ended up with a paper thin bottom.

So here is my bottomless bowl. I might put some sort of insert in it. Maybe I'll thread it.:rolleyes:

Allen Neighbors
03-10-2010, 6:29 PM
Bob, it's a beautiful funnel!! Looks like apricot... am I right?
I'd turn a plug out of some contrasting wood, and try to align the grain as close as possible to that of the bowl. Or... you can throw it in the woodpile, and let your wife take it inside and lay a jar lid in the hole, and put a doily over that, and then some other stuff, like mine did.... :)

Bob Haverstock
03-10-2010, 6:29 PM
Bob,

You had me fooled. It looks like a canning funnel for a big Ball jar. Can you made a chalis base for it? A stemmed base might be a looker.

Bob

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 7:07 PM
Bob, it's a beautiful funnel!! Looks like apricot... am I right?
I'd turn a plug out of some contrasting wood, and try to align the grain as close as possible to that of the bowl. Or... you can throw it in the woodpile, and let your wife take it inside and lay a jar lid in the hole, and put a doily over that, and then some other stuff, like mine did.... :)

Allen, I don't have a clue what it is. It was covered with wax and the tag said mesquite. However it doesn't look like or smell like any mesquite I've known. It is also a bit softer than I would expect a fruit tree like apricot to be. It has a coat of walnut oil and beeswax. That definitely did a number on its appearance. A plug is a good idea. I'm going to put that on the list along with Bob's suggestion for doing a base for a chalice.

...Bob

Bob,

You had me fooled. It looks like a canning funnel for a big Ball jar. Can you made a chalis base for it? A stemmed base might be a looker.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I think the canning funnel was lurking in my subconscious:).

I do like the chalice idea, though. I know there has to be a point where I change my behavior, but so far, I have kept everything no matter how weird it came out, I am building a "lessons learned" collection.

...Bob

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 7:26 PM
It looks good... Just display it high on a shelf where no one can see that the bowl is bottomless.

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 7:32 PM
I am with David! Aside from the minor issue with the bottom, it is a nice looking bowl. And, the mystery wood actually looks very nice with the finish you have on it.

Richard Madison
03-10-2010, 7:53 PM
Bob, yours is not the only collection of things that turned out a little weird. One of mine was used for pyrography practice which improved it sufficiently to sell, albeit for a very modest price. Am confident that you will have a great idea to "improve" your funnel, even though it's pretty nice just as it is.

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. So far, the front runner is to turn a 30" pedestal and mount the bottomless bowl on it.

If I make the pedestal more than 24", I'll need to get a bed extension. If I get a bed extension, I'll need to get Nova's swing away tailstock/extension hinge because having the extension stick out into the shop just wouldn't do.

So far so good.

Bob Haverstock
03-10-2010, 9:29 PM
Bob,

Can you make the pedestal in 2 pieces? If you made it in 4 pieces, you could use flat stock for the base and have a 2 piece riser and an othe piece for the plug.

When I bought my Nova 1624 last month the bed extention came with it. I too, would like to have the hinge. My pockets just weren't deep enough.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. So far, the front runner is to turn a 30" pedestal and mount the bottomless bowl on it.

If I make the pedestal more than 24", I'll need to get a bed extension. If I get a bed extension, I'll need to get Nova's swing away tailstock/extension hinge because having the extension stick out into the shop just wouldn't do.

So far so good.

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 9:39 PM
Bob,

Can you make the pedestal in 2 pieces? If you made it in 4 pieces, you could use flat stock for the base and have a 2 piece riser and an othe piece for the plug.

When I bought my Nova 1624 last month the bed extention came with it. I too, would like to have the hinge. My pockets just weren't deep enough.

Bob

Bob...

I was actually trying to take this out of control spending thing to the next illogical level. I've been to the, "if you give a man a fish..., but if you give him a fishing pole" well too many times for my wife to buy it. ;)

In fact, I need to slow down on turning parts and accessories if for no other reason than to see what if feels like to exercise restraint once again. :eek:

Most likely I'll turn a pedestal that's well within the 24" of the Nova bed. :)

...Bob

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 9:40 PM

So far so good.Some guys (not including me, of course!;)) will do anything just so they can buy another toy!:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 9:54 PM

So far so good.

Sounds like a plan to me Bob!!!:p:rolleyes::cool: