PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Crotch for a Project

Dan O'Sullivan
03-10-2010, 6:03 PM
Here's some walnut I am planning to cut for drawer front veneer. The drawers are for the desk faces. The desk photo is one I attached earlier and the attachments will not allow me to duplicate the thread???

Oh well at least you see some wood.

Dan

Ken Shoemaker
03-10-2010, 8:24 PM
WOW!! Now, I for one, will be looking forward to see the finished post... That's some fine looking wood...

Never thought I'd say that to another dude...:cool:

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 9:31 PM
Man, I would love to have some walnut that nice!

Rob Hough
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd like to see that car in the background. :)

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 11:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Lots in those pics to ooh an ahh at! :)

Charles Robertson
03-11-2010, 7:07 AM
Good look'in stuff. Just finished a little project using quite a few pieces of crotch wood in walnut, maple and a lot of cherry for door and side panels. The client's family have a mill. Some of the pieces were over 5' wide.

The car, the car. 53 TD Classic with after market grill ?

Good luck with your project.

Jeff Willard
03-11-2010, 9:58 AM
The desk photo is one I attached earlier and the attachments will not allow me to duplicate the thread???

Just change the name of the file to be attached. The forum software doesn't know that it's the same photo. Stoopid software:eek:.

Myk Rian
03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
When you attempt to upload an existing file, the upload window tells you that, plus where it is. Just copy and paste the URL to it.

Mike Wilkins
03-12-2010, 9:27 AM
Hey Dan!!! I you have trouble finding a use for that lumber, give me a call and I will drive right on up there. Should make for some fine looking drawers.

Glenn Vaughn
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM

I would guess that the car is an early 1950's MG TD or possibly a TF.

Dan O'Sullivan
03-28-2010, 7:30 AM
The car, the car. 53 TD Classic with after market grill ?

You have a sharp eye. Its a 50 with a grill I made up when I got it 41 years ago. I took it off our a roll of chicken/goat fence stuff. It looked so much like a grill I seen on an old Riley I just never put the original louvres back on. I hope to finish the project this spring but I have a big punch list to complete first.
dan

george wilson
03-28-2010, 9:24 AM
How thick is that walnut,Dan? It would look splendid as a shotgun stock!! That stuff is going to be hard,too. Don't you just hate to lose the saw kerf ? I always do!!!

Dan O'Sullivan
03-30-2010, 6:07 PM
How thick is that walnut,Dan? It would look splendid as a shotgun stock!! That stuff is going to be hard,too. Don't you just hate to lose the saw kerf ? I always do!!!

Hey George
I have 11-12 boards ranging 12/4 to 8/12 at 10'long. The photos posted are the 4/4 stuff I got from a guy over in Tenn. He has lots of 4/4 stuff that is priced very reasonably. I have a 10/4 piece with killer crotch and a crook that just lays down the wrist line. With no large cheek piece to deal with I see a nice half stock in that chunk of 15 year old air dried walnut. It will work.

In the Woodworking Projects forum I have posted some pictures of cutting a board to put a 1/16" veneer on desk drawer faces. I like to use thicker veneer for my 18th C stuff. It gives me a little more wiggle room. I have been doing the old toothing plane, hide glue and hammer method. I practiced up with some scraps to get back in the groove so its been really easy... no bubbles or loose edges that can't be fixed with the iron.

Take a look over there if you're interested. I'm trying to show some work in stages rather than - here's the done deal.

More to come

dan

Dan O'Sullivan
03-30-2010, 6:12 PM
Hey Mike
If you are searching for some figured walnut or cherry, I can wire you up with a guy over in Tenn. A good guy.

If you're serious, let me know as he wants to sell off some of his mother lode.

dan

Dan O'Sullivan
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM

George
Finished this half stock 40cal with the root of a maple tree dug out of the ground. More trouble than I bargained for but I got 6 stocks with natural crooks.

A fun project so I built 2 of them. One barrel tapered 7/8 -3/4(40cal) the other straight 7/8 40 cal in curly.

Cleaning the percussions is just easier than fooling with the flints. The tapered barrel is a competion barrel and its a winner. Stuff in the white is shooter error.
dan