PDA

View Full Version : Yet more pendants

dan carter
03-10-2010, 2:04 PM
While waiting for a pendant backing plate, I made one out of oak, used heli coils in the three most used settings. It worked pretty well. The pendants I made ranged from 3 1/2" dia down to 1 3/4" dia. Put a pewter medallian on one of the larger pendants and a small clock on another for abit of change. It seems to me that pewter works well with darker turnings.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 2:21 PM
Dan - all of these look pretty good! I like the pewter and the way it is highlighted by the wood! I can see where different inlays could be very popular! Nice work!

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 2:25 PM
Dan, very innovative! Love the pewter look, and I bet other insets meant for bottle stoppers would work great. I have noticed that CSUSA has a bunch of those type of things.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 2:41 PM
Great looking pendants. Like the one with pewter.

Ted Calver
03-10-2010, 3:07 PM
Very nice! The watch is a nice touch too.

Mike Golka
03-10-2010, 4:15 PM
Great looking pendants. Gotta love those home made jigs!

Mark Burge
03-10-2010, 5:12 PM
Nice work. I always thought that a "jig" was synonymous with homemade. The things I buy I generally call "contraptions". How do you attach the pendants to the jig? I might try to make one of these things.

dan carter
03-10-2010, 5:23 PM
i use double sided tape from wall mart, it is in the paint section. there is a turned piece of cherry on the other side of the jig that is taped onto the jig, then doubled sided tape is used to tape the turning to the scrap wood.

Jim Sebring
03-10-2010, 7:05 PM
Dan, where did you get your Helicoils? I know that kits are available, but I'm not into industrial construction volumes anymore.

I've thought the Joyner aluminum backer plate could also benefit from Helicoils, since there's a lot of screwing and unscrewing of the mandrel shaft when setting up for different offsets.

Baxter Smith
03-10-2010, 7:12 PM
Very nice pendants. Great color to the wood and the pewter adds a a nice touch.

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 7:19 PM
Nice work... The jig looks practical and affordable.

dan carter
03-10-2010, 10:42 PM
jim, as i remember, i bought them from an auto parts store. i've had them sitting it the drawer for along time. this is how the setup looks when i get started.