PDA

View Full Version : WGBH Returns to Woodworking

John Gregory
03-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I did not find any reference to this anywhere else in the forum.
WGBH, a PBS station, is looking to produce another woodworking show. Here is some information found at Popular Woodworking
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/WGBH+Returns+To+Woodworking.aspx

I watched Tom MacDonald on some podcasts that he has done, and his personality and accent might be hard for me to over look enough to enjoy a show by him. But time will tell. They have no title for the show and no sponsor yet. Just the host.
I am encouraged that a new woodworking show is in the works though.

Ken Shoemaker
03-10-2010, 1:13 PM
I read the article about Tommy's thought on the direction of the show.

While I'm glad any show is coming back the fill the "void", I was most impressed that NYW did away with background music, and the crap that did nothing to advance the woodworking experience.

I checked out Tommy's site and I'm just going to adapt as is everyone else. I for one, am not going to pass judgement any more than I did with Nahm, who taught me so much. I just look forward to my Saturday "fix".

I can only say, we need a sponsor and "let's get on with it".

Good Luck Tommy, I'll be seeing ya'.... Ken

Jim Rimmer
03-10-2010, 1:20 PM
There was a post a week or so ago with a link to a video with Tommy and the producer of NYW announcing the plans. But the more pubilicity the better if we as WWers want it to succeed. They are looking for a sponsor but since he is not competing with Norm I'm sure some of the big guys will step up.

I plan, and hope others will, to give him some slack to get the show rolling. If you look back at Norm's first year it was a lot different than the last several years.

I also expct the format will be different. From what I got out of the video, I don't think he's going to go into the shop and build projects like Norm did.

John Gregory
03-10-2010, 1:44 PM
I will watch any woodworking show. I can always learn something from them.

Vince Shriver
03-10-2010, 1:46 PM
[QUOTE=John GregoryI watched Tom MacDonald on some podcasts that he has done, and his personality and accent might be hard for me to over look enough to enjoy a show by him.

He seemed like an amiable sort of guy, and - maybe my perception is out of whack - I really detected no accent. Lots of schmoozin from that lady tho. I wish him luck.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-10-2010, 1:59 PM
"Tchisel" is a talented woodworker. I know I'll learn a lot from him. Very exciting news. Thanks for posting
PS He is also a fellow creeker, BTW.

Matt Benton
03-10-2010, 2:09 PM
This is very exciting for me. He builds the kinds of projects that I would someday like to build, and uses alot of hand tools in the process.

I just hope he can pull the viewership that he needs for ratings...

Al Navas
03-10-2010, 2:37 PM
John,

It was posted a few days ago. But good news must be spread and re-spread :cool: . I am not sure I will be able to watch it at all, as the local channels are not allowed on Dish...:mad:

---- Al

I did not find any reference to this anywhere else in the forum.
WGBH, a PBS station, is looking to produce another woodworking show. Here is some information found at Popular Woodworking
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/WGBH+Returns+To+Woodworking.aspx

I watched Tom MacDonald on some podcasts that he has done, and his personality and accent might be hard for me to over look enough to enjoy a show by him. But time will tell. They have no title for the show and no sponsor yet. Just the host.
I am encouraged that a new woodworking show is in the works though.