PDA

View Full Version : Going though withdrawal...

Brian Greb
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Today is day 4 of finishing a set of cabinets... needless to say my shop/studio is filled with sticky drying painted stuff so I can't turn. This is enough to drive a man insane. I keep having that itch(great idea for a piece) and the vortex has a powerful pull. I guess I need a twelve step program or a support group. The worst part is I have a Delta 46-460 lathe but no stand so I can't set up any where else. The real kicker is I can't justify the cost of buying a stand just for a day or two of turning. :(

Perhaps in the future I should outsource my finishing. I just hate the idea of someone-else finishing my pieces. Oh well... guess I'll get caught up on my reading and magazine cataloging.

Just had to vent a little bit... and I know there are others out there that can feel my pain.

P.S. Waiting for paint to dry is just as boring as watching it dry!

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Worse part of doing flatwork for me is that I have to move all my turning blanks somewhere else for a while!

As far as a lathe stand - you have a nice shop - build a portable stand so you can still turn somewhere else while the finish dries!

Jeff Fagen
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I have mine on a stand in the middle of the shop.
I did'nt want to imprison her up against the wall on a bench,just to restrictive.
How about a stand on casters?Then you can even roll it outside.:D

Rob Cunningham
03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to get built in project finished and have no time for turning. :( The worst part is I have a bowl blank mounted on the lathe and it's the first thing I see every time I go into the shop.

Steve Mawson
03-10-2010, 1:55 PM
Patience grasshopper. First things first:):):D

Roger Chandler
03-10-2010, 2:26 PM
I probably risk having the disapproval of all on this turners forum, but as a long time woodworker, and a turner for 9 years, I still want to maintain a balance between my turning and flat work.

I do think that artistry is a little easier achieved in turning than it is in flat work, or at least doesn't take quite as much time per project. I spent a lot of money on all my other woodworking tools before I ever got a lathe, and now that I am on my second lathe, second tablesaw, etc, etc, etc, I want to utilize them all, and fulfill the purposes for which I made the expenditures in the first place.

A turning can be functional as well as decorative in nature, but when that cabinet, bookcase, table, chest and other functional furniture and cabinetry is made and installed, it enhances the environment in which you and others live everyday, and creates functionality that in my opinion outweighs what most turnings can deliver.

For me, the VORTEX has two dimensions, and both pull very strongly. My delimma is having time to satisfy the pull of both to a point that fulfills both dimensions.

Chris Stolicky
03-10-2010, 3:12 PM
How about the dining room table? :D

I understand the dilemma. I tend to do finishing in my garage now so I don't have shop dust flying around to worry about.

Fred Perreault
03-10-2010, 3:22 PM
Brian,
Have you thought about moving the wife into the finishing room and putting the lathe in the bedroom?

Brian Greb
03-10-2010, 3:52 PM
Hey Roger,

I agree that both are artistic outlets, and yes furniture does have that functionality bonus. Still turned art has a certain appeal, and can showcase natures beauty on a much smaller scale that can fit in most any environment/aesthetic. Art pieces can change the vernacular of a room, they can inject a mood or emotion that otherwise would be missing. Some times I just have to look at wood working as showcasing the marvels of natures art. (It pains me to paint good wood) I have a Three front battle, I turn for the pure artistic outlet (plus its a great time killer waiting for glue to dry), I build Furniture and high end cabinets for a living, and I make artistic functional furniture for speculative purposes. In my artistic pursuits I have acquired many skills on a multitude of mediums. Now I have to find time for all of them. I find I use a multitude of tools in my work(i build up my blanks most of the time) the lathe is just a stop along the way. I swear if I where made of money I'd have 3 work spaces...one for my lathe,one for my workshop,and one for my finishing... all connected of course.:)

P.S. I have an urn I am working on with 36hrs. so far in it, and I still have a base to make. The cabinets I am finishing have 20hrs in them. So speed of finish isn't always quicker in the spiny turned world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris.... I can see the argument that would start now. ...I'd have to go build a dog house first.:D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred... I'd love to set up in my bed room... or the living room... the back porch... Hell id even consider the bathroom. But I still have the problem of no stand for my lathe and I can't build one due to my shop is full of wet painted things.:(

Maybe next time I'll plan better.

Roger Chandler
03-10-2010, 6:31 PM
Hey Roger,

I agree that both are artistic outlets, and yes furniture does have that functionality bonus. Still turned art has a certain appeal, and can showcase natures beauty on a much smaller scale that can fit in most any environment/aesthetic. Art pieces can change the vernacular of a room, they can inject a mood or emotion that otherwise would be missing. Some times I just have to look at wood working as showcasing the marvels of natures art. (It pains me to paint good wood) I have a Three front battle, I turn for the pure artistic outlet (plus its a great time killer waiting for glue to dry), I build Furniture and high end cabinets for a living, and I make artistic functional furniture for speculative purposes. In my artistic pursuits I have acquired many skills on a multitude of mediums. Now I have to find time for all of them. I find I use a multitude of tools in my work(i build up my blanks most of the time) the lathe is just a stop along the way. I swear if I where made of money I'd have 3 work spaces...one for my lathe,one for my workshop,and one for my finishing... all connected of course.:)

P.S. I have an urn I am working on with 36hrs. so far in it, and I still have a base to make. The cabinets I am finishing have 20hrs in them. So speed of finish isn't always quicker in the spiny turned world.

Chris.... I can see the argument that would start now. ...I'd have to go build a dog house first.:D

Fred... I'd love to set up in my bed room... or the living room... the back porch... Hell id even consider the bathroom. But I still have the problem of no stand for my lathe and I can't build one due to my shop is full of wet painted things.:(

Maybe next time I'll plan better.

Hi Brian,

You and I are on the same page, singing the same hymn! I love the art aspect of turning, and I intend to pursue segmented turnings, because some of them just beg for admiration. The time invested in learning to do this on a quality scale is large, and I will do it. With that being in my future, I will still get to utilize my other tools, like tablesaw and drum sander, etc. and feel like I am still getting a return on my investments.

I am like you, painting a nice piece of wood is both a tragedy and a travesty, and I like the natural beauty in what God created. Our challenge is to let it out so it can be seen.

While admiration for a piece of art, one has brought out of a raw piece of wood does lift the spirit, I have had mine lifted when I have finished building raised panel kitchen cabinets that are a beauty to behold, and see someones joy at what they have in their kitchen, compared to what they had before the remodel. The same with a piece of beautiful and functional furniture, like a table.

I am not a contractor, nor full time cabinet or furniture maker. I just do this because I love it, and once in a while I get to put my tools and skills to use, in a really small backyard shop and end up blessing someone who needs a little help with a project. This is rewarding to me. I haven't made money on my woodworking, but it has enriched me in many ways, otherwise.

Roger Chandler
03-10-2010, 6:57 PM
Brian,
Have you thought about moving the wife into the finishing room and putting the lathe in the bedroom?

Brian,

I don't think that the finishing room is the right place for your wife..... it might be the room where your marriage is indeed "finished!" :D

alex carey
03-10-2010, 7:10 PM
I know how you feel, kind of... I woke up this morning and somehow I smashed my ring finger in my sleep, no idea how I did it but it hurts like hell and I can't really grab tools with any strength.

Wednesdays are one of my days off.

Rich Aldrich
03-10-2010, 8:41 PM
Sounds like it is time for an addition to the shop - a finishing room. When the finish is drying, you can still make wood dust.

I was told by SWMBO that the next addition to my shop will be my bedroom. I had to ask if this could include a bathroom. Best part is, I am still alive!