PDA

View Full Version : "Leave it like it is"

Mark Singer
11-04-2004, 10:02 AM
I have been listening to David Wilcox....a great singer/ songwriter...this song describes an accident; someone spilling paint on the floor and instead of cleaning up left it...celebrated it added lighting and it became art. I think the song is inspirational in the way it supports our individuality. He discourages a "paint by number" approach . It is a real help in thinking outside the box...not trying to be or live up to the magazine cover...If you read it you may enjoy it...if you don't have it...it is great music...

Leave It Like It Is by David Wilcox

Now when the paint jar tipped off of the table,
You watched it as it started to fall.
Glass popped, shattered and splattered,
Paint spray hit the wall.
Bright blue, glossy enamel, across the kitchen floor.
You said, good God look at that pattern,
I've never seen that before

Leave it like it is.
Never mind the turpentine.
Leave it like it is, its fine.

Now when the paint dried you gave it title,
You called it the "Kitchen Blues".
A white frame painted around it,
And gallery lighting too.
Rich folks come over to dinner.
They all want one of their own.
They say, "How much, who's the artist,
And my, what a beautiful home"

Leave it like it is.
Never mind the turpentine
Leave it like it is, its fine

Most folks suffer in sorry,
Thinking they're just no good
They don't match a magazine model,
As close as they think they should.
They live just like the paint by numbers.
The teacher would be impressed.
A lifetime of follow the lines,
so it's just like all the rest.

Leave it like it is.
Never mind the turpentine
Leave it like it is, its fine.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Interesting point of view........

Jim Becker
11-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Even if we eventually choose to "not leave it as it is", we are fool not to at least consider what "it" brings in a positive sense if we don't make a change. Without such reasoning, the decision is an incomplete process.

Mark Singer
11-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Even if we eventually choose to "not leave it as it is", we are fool not to at least consider what "it" brings in a positive sense if we don't make a change. Without such reasoning, the decision is an incomplete process.
Jim,
I think the real message here is to trust ourselves and not to worry about how and what everyone else is doing. That each of us contain creativity and if we don't look for it ....we will never find it. It is fun to copy a project from a woodwrking magazine once or twice...but once you have a grasp of the techniques...why not start with a blank piece of paper and all of the uncharted waters ...and explore. This to me is a far more interesting subject than which guided saw system is better...or many of the other common topics that seem to get so much attention...in the end the project is materially the same...because we just "painted by number" or just "stayed within the lines"

Jim Becker
11-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

Glenn Clabo
11-04-2004, 1:12 PM
Excellant Mark...
The older I get the more I realize that we aren't supposed to be crammed into the mold of someone elses vision of life...we're here to leave it like it is and enjoy how it turns out.
Sometimes it takes a major event in our life to see it...for me it was the loss of my childhood sweetheart and wife of over 35 years...and then finding Laurie. Every word spoken is listened to...can't cook with a recipe...can't build exactly to a drawing...can't simply drive by the ocean...or worry about what tomorrow should be. See it as it is...savor every moment. They aren't there forever.

John Miliunas
11-04-2004, 1:53 PM
That's pretty good, Mark. Though, at the same time, I have this vision of a couple hundred WW's going home today, grabbing a can of their favorite color paint, a screwdriver and a ladder. All over this fine country, I can already hear, "Oooooops!" :eek: SPLASH! :D :) :cool:

Dave Richards
11-04-2004, 2:01 PM
Wow, I haven't listened to David Wilcox for a hundred years. You make me want to pull it out tonight. I always liked that piece, too. Oh and this one:

Rusty Old American Dream

I don't look all that ragged for all the time it's been,
But I'm weakened underneath me where my frame is rusted thin.
And this year's state inspection just barely passed
Won't you drive me 'cross the country, boy,
This year could be my last.

I'm a tailfin road locomotive from the days of cheap gasoline,
And I'm for sale by the side of the road going nowhere,
A rusty old American dream.

I rolled off the line in Detroit back in 1958,
Spent three days in the showroom, that's all I had to wait.
I've been good to all who owned me, so have no fear;
C'mon, boy, put your money down and get me out of here!

I'm a tailfin road locomotive from the days of cheap gasoline,
And I'm for sale by the side of the road going nowhere,
A rusty old American dream.

This car needs a young man to own him
One who will polish the chrome,
I will give you the rest of my lifetime,
But don't let me die here alone.
Just jump me some juice to my battery,
Give that old starter a spin,
Hear me whir, sputter, backfire through the carberator,
And roar into life once again.

I'm a tailfin road locomotive,
You can polish my chrome so clean
We can fly off into the sunset together,
A rusty old American dream

Chris Padilla
11-04-2004, 2:11 PM
Sorry, Mark, but SWMBO would be all over me to clean that mess up!!! :o Of course, if she dumped...whole new ballgame...:mad: :rolleyes:

Mark Singer
11-04-2004, 5:02 PM
I think we should always ask ourselves what do we really want the project to be....looking at others work for inspiration is fine...and chose the best to use as reference...then do your own thing and you will always know where it came from...if you don't like how it turned out...have an accident and spill paint on it!

Bruce Page
11-04-2004, 9:21 PM
Mark, the wife & I have been David Wilcox fans for years. A very talented singer/songwriter. What album is this from?

Joe Mioux
11-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Mark, the wife & I have been David Wilcox fans for years. A very talented singer/songwriter. What album is this from?
What album is it from.....? I couldn't help but comment :) , I say the same thing. My kids, don't know album from a frisbee.

Sometimes it is good to put an album on the Old turntable and hear the snap -- crackles -- and pops from a good old album, my choice would be anything from The Band, or Santanna.

Bruce Page
11-04-2004, 11:34 PM
What album is it from.....? I couldn't help but comment :) , I say the same thing. My kids, don't know album from a frisbee.

Sometimes it is good to put an album on the Old turntable and hear the snap -- crackles -- and pops from a good old album, my choice would be anything from The Band, or Santanna.What can I say...:rolleyes: I haven't bought any vinyl "albums" since 1986!

Mark Singer
11-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Bruce,

It is from: "How did you find me here?"

I found the CD on Amazon....you can even hear a bit of it if you go there with this link and "Listen TO"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002GIP/qid=1099628511/sr=8-6/ref=pd_csp_6/102-8030959-8346511?v=glance&s=music&n=507846#product-details

Bruce Page
11-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Bruce,

It is from: "How did you find me here?"

I found the CD on Amazon....you can even hear a bit of it if you go there with this link and "Listen TO"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002GIP/qid=1099628511/sr=8-6/ref=pd_csp_6/102-8030959-8346511?v=glance&s=music&n=507846#product-detailsThanks Mark. I just looked at my library list, I have 8 of his CD's but that one's not on the list. I'll have to pick it up!

Mark Singer
11-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Bruce,

I have several of his CD too....this may be the first and it is my favorite!

Glenn Clabo
11-05-2004, 5:20 AM
All his stuff is in the ITune store Bruce....

Leave It Like It Is 2:58 David Wilcox How Did You Find Me Here $0.99

Tyler Howell
11-05-2004, 9:43 AM
Mark, the wife & I have been David Wilcox fans for years. A very talented singer/songwriter. What album is this from?Let's not forget great guitar play. Dude's got some great chops. I like "Eye of the Huricane":cool:

Pete Lamberty
11-11-2004, 1:01 PM
...if you don't like how it turned out...have an accident and spill paint on it![/QUOTE]

Mark, Your statement reminds me of Gary Knox Bennett's Nail Cabinet. :)

James Giordano
11-14-2004, 4:48 PM
That's funny Mark, because I actually have had that experience.

Back when I was an apartment dweller I once Painted the kitchen.I painted the floor a semi-gloss black and the walls a dark blue. I accidentally tipped the blue and about half the can of paint spilled onto the floor in a big blue blob. I don't know that i celebrated the event but I certainly left the blob as it was. I thought that it was an interesting accent.
But, you can imagine, that when I moved out of that apartment the landlord was somewhat less than impressed and failed to see the art of it.:D