PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, and Help!

Tom De Girolamo
03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Greetings to All on the Laser Forum

I have been lurking around this site for about a year. The information and knowledge on this site is invaluable. It has helped me by opening my eyes to the endless possibilities and uses for the laser. Thank you all, and special thanks to Frank Corker, whose graphics files I have shamelessly downloaded.
I’m lucky. I’m a laser hobbyist. I don’t have to make a living with my laser, so I’m free to try things that don’t have to pay for themselves. (Needless to say, many things that did not pay for themselves.) I have been successful selling engraved roses at flea markets, but that is about it.
The reason I’m posting now is I’m having a major problem with my laser. I have a pending order for engraved roses for a wedding in July. I can’t commit to the order until I solve this problem.

Problem-
The laser does not get the graphic from the computer and the “document failed to print” message comes up.
The problem started about 3 years ago but was solved by turning the laser off and then on. Over the years the problem has gotten progressively worse. The laser sometimes works, but most time doesn’t. It takes many restarts to finally get the laser to accept the graphic, if at all. As an example, last week, I turned it on and it worked perfectly and I cut out parts for a puzzle box. Two days ago, after eight tries to get it to accept a graphic, I gave up.

Laser Specs
ULS M-300 35 Watt with Rotary
About 10 years old 1 Owner(me) Very light use (about 500 hours)
All original equipment, I did not replace any parts
Driver Version ULS 2004-06-25 WIN XP/2000 V1.07

The only change in operation I have seen is that the laser sometimes (most times) now takes about 3 times as long to say “READY” as it did before the problem developed. It still sometimes goes “READY” in the normal amount of time, but … sometimes it works, sometime it doesn’t.

These are the steps I took to solve problem in the past.
Changed computers – This problem occurred with 3 different computers
Reloaded driver (many times)
Changed from - Laser parallel port/computer parallel port cable - to - Laser parallel port/computer USB port cable

ALL of these steps worked sometimes, and I thought, “Aha! I fixed it!”, only to have the problem return next restart. When the Laser does work, it works perfectly. There are no other issues with the machine. Very frustrating.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas, or knows how to fix this problem, please let me know. One way or another, I will get this problem fixed.

If you need more information on the laser’s behavior, I will gladly supply it.

Thanking you in advance for any help,
Thomas De Girolamo
Forum member, no longer lurking ….

Dee Gallo
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Greetings, Thomas!

I don't have the same laser as you, but I did have the same problem long ago - it was solved by changing from USB to ethernet to connect from the computer to the laser. Never had that problem again since.

cheers, dee

ps - it's a short ride from "member" to "contributor" - welcome aboard! :)

Barbara Buhse
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I had to change my engraver to a USB (from the ethernet) when i got my wireless netowrk in the house. Since then I have had this problem several times, so I am positive Dee is right, the ethernet is the best way to go to avoid this if you can do it.

Mike Null
03-10-2010, 1:24 PM
Tom

welcome to Sawmill Creek.

I think you've been given good advice but in case you don't have the ethernet option you may have to change the USB or parallel cable. Before you make a change though you should disconnect and reconnect the cable you have to be sure it's making good contact.

There have been some who have had a problem with parallel to USB connections so you may want to re-connect the parallel cable if you still have a parallel port on your computer.

Tom De Girolamo
03-10-2010, 2:06 PM
Wow, Guys, thank you for the fast response! Unfortunately, I do not have the ethernet option. The laser only has a parallel connection. Tommorrow, I will connect the old cable to the old computer, load the driver and see. If it works, it might be the USB to parallel connection. If it doesn't work, at least I have a new direction to look.

Again, Thank You for the fast response!

Thomas De Girolamo
.... glad to be not lurking anymore ....

Viktor Voroncov
03-10-2010, 2:15 PM
Agree that this problem 90% is connected with ports and PC-laser connections. But do you have possibility upgrade FIRMWARE on your laser? Not familiar with ULS, but on GCC we reccomend to customers upgrade/re-write firmware every 6-12 months.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2010, 2:24 PM
Ah, didn't notice you're using a USB to parallel converter... those things are notorious for causing issues (I've had to program way too many firmware systems with them). the drivers are often buggy and/or don't properly support bi-directional signals used in serial/parallel ports.

Quality converters exist, but they're hard to find...

Scott Shepherd
03-10-2010, 2:27 PM
Tom, you need to be on the latest driver for that machine to start with. I wouldn't try troubleshooting much else until you are on the latest driver for that machine. It could have been a known issue and it could have been resolved already.

Call Universal Tech Support and get them to email the latest driver for it.

Darren Null
03-10-2010, 2:45 PM
There's 2 types of USB --> Parallel....controller and converter. The converter is the converter (just the cable, essentially) which most people have because it's the cheapest option.
That will work with SOME printers/engravers.

To get a "true" LPT1, you need a controller; which is the cable plus some electronic gubbins. More info here:
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/index.html.en
...if you fancy knocking one up yourself, or google for "USB to LPT1 controller" if you don't.

Mike Mackenzie
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Tom,

What firmware version is on the system?

Try Re seating the memory simm on the CPU. You may have old firmware that is causing this problem.

Also when you Re load the driver are you completly removing the old driver?

Tom De Girolamo
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Thank you all for coming to my aid!

Here are the possible causes, and my 'plan of action'

Bad USB to parallel connection
-Reseat the cable
Bad USB to parallel cable
-Read about alot of problems with this type of cable, this is the most probable cause

Is there a Firmware Upgrade?
-Yes there is, I just downloaded it onto my computer from ULS. There may be a problem loading it into the laser because of my connection problem.
Have the latest driver?
-Yes I do, and I did remove the old driver completely.

Reseat the memory simm?
Doing that next, hope thats the problem, because it's the easiest fix.

After reseating the simm, if it doesn't work, hook up the old computer and old cable and see if that works. If it works, get rid of USB cable and try ethernet to parallel converter.

Just looked up a ethernet to parallel converter - about $50 on EBAY - I'm thinking I can go - Computer to Router to Converter to Laser - instead of Computer to Laser and losing my Internet connection.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and I will keep you all informed

Thomas De Girolamo

I

Dan Hintz
03-11-2010, 2:18 PM
I would suggest doing the firmware upgrade with a known working comm solution (i.e., the old computer)... screwing up the firmware upgrade will brick your system.

Tom De Girolamo
03-12-2010, 1:02 PM
I hooked up my 10 year old Dell to my Laser via the parallel ports, installed the driver, and suprise - 10 out of 10 tries were all successful. I never would have thought the USB cable was the cause of my problems. Thank you all for your help and pointing me in the right direction.

Next, I'll install the new Firmware, get a wireless print server, and get back to work.

Thanks again, Guys!

Thomas De Girolamo

Oh, yes, and I'm going to try to get my money back for the USB cable. I spent $1.98 for it on Ebay ......:rolleyes:

Viktor Voroncov
03-12-2010, 1:50 PM
Tom, good to hear :)
Keep USB as memory - return shipment will cost you more :)