PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a question

Charlie Reals
03-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey from snowy California. I have been lurking on SMC for a couple of months and have learned quite a lot of new things and have had most of my questions answered.
I recently bought a nova 1624 and am more than pleased.:D I learned wood turning back in the pre four jaw chuck days lol, you guys are so far advanced it makes my head spin.
My personal preference is utility bowls but I love the finer turnings also. I guess it is the same as tattoo work, look at the artwork and talent involved more than the subject. I tend to be a little to heavy handed for finial work.

After turning with an OOOld sears tube lathe I jumped head first into the vortex and have been spun and dumped out. Oh well, the better half and I enjoy the two hour drive to WC in Sacramento once a month and have found a wonderful traditional " Andy Zimmern" style Chinese restaraunt in the same strip mall. Go figure.
Now to my question, Has anyone turned sugar pine? I have open access to the mill end pile at a local sawyers mill. I have four bowls rough turned and drying with the dna method while waiting for the AS to get here.
I turned Bottle stoppers and developed a small market for them but now it is bowl time.
I truly enjoy the wealth of knowledge shared on SMC.
Charlie

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
First, welcome to the creek!! I have only recently ventured into this turning thing, and don't have as much experience as most here. I have played with a little bit of white pine, but no sugar pine yet. I would imagine it would do fine with sharp tools, and patience.

Charlie Reals
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
First, welcome to the creek!! I have only recently ventured into this turning thing, and don't have as much experience as most here. I have played with a little bit of white pine, but no sugar pine yet. I would imagine it would do fine with sharp tools, and patience.

Thanks John, you do some beautiful work and I envy your wood supply.
Part of my vortex ride was a tormek T7. I am learning to use it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Welcome Charlie to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. I have not turned any sugar pine but have turned some spruce. It was pretty gummy and didn't care for cleaning the tools up. My advice would be to get a piece and give it a go. If it has to much pitch and pretty gummy you might have to clean a tool or two but you would know for sure. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

George Morris
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek! You will not get any symphoney here about snow we had 58" so far!
your question is a good one I know pine is very resonus give it a try what can it hurt. Good luck!

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Charlie - Welcome to the Creek!

I've turned some Jack Pine before and even when really dry - you still have to contend with the pitch. Makes for a sticky mess but sure smells great!

Give some of the Sugar Pine a try and post a few photos when you can!

Nick Mastropietro
03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey Charlie
Welcome to the creek. I am fairly new to the creek as well and even newer to turning. I just assembled my first lathe - she's still a virgin, but I'm looking to change that soon. As for the creek, these folks are great, they have a tireless spirit when it comes to helping others. I just hope at some point I'll be able to give back. Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Steve Mawson
03-10-2010, 2:00 PM
Charlie, Welcome always more fun with more folks. I agree with the other folks, give it a try, can't hurt anything. I have tried many pieces of material-not always wood-and many have went in the trash but not always. Be sure to take some pictures. Look forward to what you come up with.

Paul Atkins
03-10-2010, 2:05 PM
Welcome from Chico. We are at 200 feet elevation so no snow yet. I've been to that restaurant too after spending a few bucks next door. Sugar pine is nice stuff, but is is about as soft as you'll get. Lots of Victorian houses have carvings and columns turned from it. Sashes were made from it too. Use very sharp tools and sharpen them again just to be sure.

Charlie Reals
03-10-2010, 4:34 PM
Welcome to the Creek! You will not get any symphoney here about snow we had 58" so far!
your question is a good one I know pine is very resonus give it a try what can it hurt. Good luck!

No sympathy required lol. If you mean 58" so far this year you only have me by 8". I am at 50" snow for the winter. About `1/2 of normal 3 years into a drought.
Yeah this pine is like taking a shower.:)

Roland Martin
03-10-2010, 5:33 PM
Hi Charlie & welcome to the Creek. This place is great, as are all the people here. Hope you turn some of that sugar pine & let us know how it turns.

Allen Neighbors
03-10-2010, 5:40 PM
Hello, Charlie. Welcome to the creek. This is chock full of a bunch of knowledgeable turners. Sugar Pine is truly soft. Never turned it, but I've used quite a bit in some craft work. It'll turn fine. Have a lot of fun with it. Don't forget the pictures. :)

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 6:55 PM
Hi Charlie...

Welcome to the Creek. Well, we have some things in common; a fairly newly purchased Nova lathe, being in northern California and having a close relationship with pine trees. In my case, my shop is surrounded by pines. I'll probably have to bring a couple down before long because of needles fouling the roof on the shop (not to mention concern about shallow roots).

Haven't tried turning pine yet. I'll be interested in hearing how it goes.

Oh, and Andy Nguyen's place has been around for many years. They started out in Sacramento. Before I retired, I used to hit the Broadway restaurant a couple of times a month for lunch. Among the best Vietnamese food I have tasted anywhere.

...Bob

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 7:32 PM
Welcome! Not sure about that particular pine, but the others have touched on the typical characteristics of pine... soft and sticky. That being said, give it a go. I wonder if you turn it thin and soak it in oil if it might be like Norfolk pine... beautifully translucent. Looking forward to some pics.