PDA

View Full Version : Something Different - Sort of.....

Ed Sallee
03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
This is made out of Cherry & Walnut wrapped around a sealed insert of Spanish Cedar. The Spanish Cedar insert is 3/4" thick - and I think they just now started aging the tobacco for the cigars that will go in to this thing... as it may just take that long to season....

She is 32 3/4" wide x 28 1/2" tall x 17-1/2" deep.
The drawers are 14 1/2" wide x 15 1/2" deep x 4" to 5" tall....
Each drawer is about the same size as a desktop humidor...
I'm guessing this thing will contain 2000 cigars.

The drawers were challenging to figure out a way to keep the seal when they are closed. This was accomplished by beveling the the spanish cedar drawer fronts in a 45 degree "male" on all four sides.... and then the spanish cedar drawer "receptacles", if you will, were beveled with the "female" 45 degree angle. When the drawers are closed they cozy right up to one another..... as all males and females should :???: I also put magnetic catches on the end of each drawer pull - these were set in to the cherry and do not compromise the male/female seal of the drawers.... they rather enhance the seal by ensuring the drawers stay where they should.... and they also give a nice little "click" when they are closed.

I will be, next, working on a matching piece with thinner drawers and a flip top lid to go on top of this humidor. I figure that will be complete in about a month.....

So.... here it is..... Now I have to figure out how to ship this darn thing.... It weighs a ton.... 3/4" spanish cedar insert wrapped with 3/4" cherry.... the thing is 1-1/2" thick - solid!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/WMWCH01/WMWCH01F1.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/WMWCH01/WMWCH01F2.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/WMWCH01/WMWCH01F3.jpg

Joe Shinall
03-10-2010, 5:09 PM
Ed, that is gorgeous. Keep up the good work, hoping to make my first humidor soon.

Justin Freund
03-10-2010, 7:15 PM
Very nice. I like the way you use the slats in the drawers and in your trays. I need to make some more trays for my fridgidor and that looks like a very good way to go. Is there an open space in the back for air to circulate or are you relying on it going through the drawers?

Ed Sallee
03-10-2010, 8:04 PM
Very nice. I like the way you use the slats in the drawers and in your trays. I need to make some more trays for my fridgidor and that looks like a very good way to go. Is there an open space in the back for air to circulate or are you relying on it going through the drawers?

Thank you.... I believe he said he was going to put in a couple of computer fans.... I made the bottom drawers a little shorter so there is room behind them for these...

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 9:18 PM
Ed, you have certainly advanced this humidor thing quickly!! That is a very nice piece, and well designed. The craftsmanship is superb. I assume the client chose the wood combination?

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 9:37 PM
Very nice. I can't help but think how much money it would cost to fll it.

gary Zimmel
03-11-2010, 12:25 AM
The grand daddy of humidors....
Real nice job Ed.

Matt Slayen
03-11-2010, 3:07 AM
Ed- could you post some detailed pictures on the drawer seal / mating that you mention.
I am intrigued

Nice work.

thanks.

John Thompson
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Great look and clever design Ed. Looks as if business is booming and you are meeting the challenge rather well.