PDA

View Full Version : Hope Chest Finished and Help Needed

Jim Eller
03-10-2010, 9:39 AM
I just finished this hope chest for my 12 year old granddaughter. It's hickory with a cedar bottom and about 20"x20"x40". It's the first one I've done and now I have four more to do. The next batch will be less intensive. Probably a different design. The other four grandkids are much younger and they will be more of toy box. I can't see putting this much effort into something to get banged around by toys.

The "help needed" is, I now have the after thought of putting some sort of locking device on it to keep her little brother out of it. Any suggestions other than a hasp?

Thanks,
Jim

Mark Maleski
03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I can't see putting this much effort [again] into something to get banged around by toys.
Jim

Even though it'll most likely be a family heirloom handed down time and again? Those scratches & dents will be testimony to all who have used and enjoyed it. The beauty and quality of the piece will be testimony to your love for them.

Sorry to be all touchy-feely about this, but this piece is representative of the reasons I became a woodworker. Won't happen again, I promise.

John Thompson
03-10-2010, 10:43 AM
That "ole hickory" looks good Jim. And yeah... I would put some type of small hasp and lock as younger brothers (and sisters for that matter) are snoopy to say the least. You did a nice job on those panels and DT's on the base. As far as the amount of effort into the younger one's toy boxes.. that is strickly a personal call on your part IMO.

Brent Ring
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
The "help needed" is, I now have the after thought of putting some sort of locking device on it to keep her little brother out of it. Any suggestions other than a hasp?

Thanks,
Jim

I used one of these on my daughter's hope chest -

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=636

Here is the thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104824&highlight=walnut+chest and I like your execution even better.

Jim Eller
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Mark - It's OK. I like touchy-feely. I like McFeely also.

John - I too was please with the panels. They are the first panels for me and the first time using hickory.

Brent - I wish I would have made this info request earlier. That would have worked great. I afraid of a screw up now that it's complete. I will order some for the next set. That way it will give them time to loose the key before they need it:D

All of your input is appreciated.

Jim

Jason Strauss
03-10-2010, 1:28 PM
Jim,

First of all, very nice! I'm sure I'll be making hope chests for my daughters some day (4 and 6 years respectively).

I love hickory - particularly the color variation. Your use of the grain pattern on the front panels is just great! Being new to using hickory, how'd you like it? Kinda tough of the tools, isn't it?

For what it's worth, I like the mortised lock set idea over the hasp. Somehow the skeleton key make is more special.

Dave Gaul
03-10-2010, 1:39 PM
I agree with the mortise lock route...

A recent issue of WOOD had a nice write-up on it too!

Oh, and the chest is absolutely beautiful!!!

What did you finish it with?

Jim Eller
03-10-2010, 5:24 PM
Thanks for the nice comments.

Jason - As for the use of hickory, I was afraid of having a lot of splintering. But in reality I found it pretty easy to work with. I did have some very minor issues but....break out the CA glue and all is well.

My set of rail and stiles bits are not the best on the market but they held up well with very little sanding:mad: I ordered a set of Marc Sommerfeld's tongue and groove bits to do the top and put the corners together after watching one of his videos. They worked extremely well I thought. In the pics you can see the T&G on the top and where the back is attached to side.

Dave - As for the finish. I did a test panel with Watco Danish oil in natural, golden oak and medium walnut. The walnut didn't do a thing for me and it was hard to tell the difference between the natural and the golden oak so I went with natural(kind of). I did all the rails and stiles and then assembled the box. I finished the test piece and a piece without the Watco with Arm-R-Seal semigloss. I couldn't see any difference in the two so I did not put the Watco on the top or the base. I just put four coats of Arm-R-Seal on the whole thing instead of waiting two days for the oil to dry. I couldn't see any difference.

Thanks again.

Jim

scott stonestreet
03-10-2010, 5:46 PM
jim, i would use a child safety lock, like the knd that goes on kitchen cabinets, i have used this method in the past and it works well, i think i bought them at lowes, for just a few $ , scott

Jim Eller
03-10-2010, 5:53 PM
Scott,

Can you be more specific or do you have a pic of what your are describing?

I haven't had "kids" around the house in 40 years:D

Jim

Cody Colston
03-10-2010, 8:39 PM
That is a very beautiful chest. I love the Hickory.

For a lock, I would use a mortised lock...either full or half-mortise. Since the chest is completed, a half-mortise would be the easiest to install.

Mac Cambra
03-10-2010, 8:58 PM
I agree with all of the comments, outstanding, elegant design and very well executed.

Mac

Tom W Armstrong
03-10-2010, 9:14 PM
Jim, that's just stunning. Is that a design you put together or from plans? I really, really like the looks of it.

Thanks,

Tom

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Gorgeous. Love the hickory.

Jim Eller
03-11-2010, 7:09 AM
Jim, that's just stunning. Is that a design you put together or from plans? I really, really like the looks of it.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom - I just looked at bunch of chest and then grabbed the graph paper and did some figuring. I would have used SketchUp but with my limited knowledge, I wanted to get it done before I past away:)

Mac and Cody - Thanks for the comments.

Jim

John Keeton
03-11-2010, 7:21 AM
Sorry to be late to this party, but just let me add my compliments!! Very well done, and you maximized in a good way the one characteristic of hickory that makes it difficult to use - the contrasting grain. Good work! Very nice touch with the dovetailed base and sliding tray.

Jim Eller
03-11-2010, 7:40 AM
Very well done, and you maximized in a good way the one characteristic of hickory that makes it difficult to use - the contrasting grain.

John - Some of this may have been by accident:) Thanks.

Kent A Bathurst
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Whoooa, buddy! Very, very nice.

I like the dovetails and the T+G detail in the top.

I can't quite make out the detail for the panel enclosure - did you use cove molding? Or did you cut coves into the styles and rails? (or do I need my eyes checked - also possible).

Thanks - the hickory came out beautiful.

Jim Eller
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I can't quite make out the detail for the panel enclosure - did you use cove molding? Or did you cut coves into the styles and rails? (or do I need my eyes checked - also possible).

Kent- I think an eye check is in order.
I think this should show R&S joint.

Remember, your the reason I got into this.

Jim

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Very pretty chest!

Brian Tymchak
03-11-2010, 12:06 PM
It's the first one I've done and now I have four more to do.

...Funny how that works...

Jim, very nice work on that chest. I really like how you used the same board(s) for the front panels to keep the grain flowing across the piece. Nice design!

Brian

Keith E Byrd
03-11-2010, 5:27 PM
Jim, great job! Craftsmanship and detail are superb! I made a couple of toy boxes for my grand kids and I know the detail you can get caught up in making these. I am truly impressed.

scott stonestreet
03-11-2010, 5:44 PM
jim. try this sight, something like this is what i would use, it is cheap, and can be easley removed after a couple of years,,,
scott

http://www.kidsafeinc.com/category/child_safety_locks/

glenn bradley
03-11-2010, 5:51 PM
Beautiful piece. Love the continuous figure across the front panels. +1 on a half mortise affair for style. Or something like this (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=668&filter=lock) for simplicity.

Lee Schierer
03-12-2010, 8:35 AM
That's a nice looking chest. I like working with hickory. It makes the shop smell nice and it sands glass smooth. Hickory doesn't like stain much, though it will take a light tint. I find that I have to examine the grain closely before routing because you can get some bad tearout if the grin runs the wrong way along an edge. You then to get long splinters unless you climb cut certain areas.

As for your lock, a cedar chest lock (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=637&filter=locks) should work well on that. It could still be done ans it only requires a single hole to be drilled and some screws to install it.

Jim Eller
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Baxter, Brian, Keith, Scott, Glenn, Lee,

I really appreciate the nice comments and the help.

I'm going to order a couple of the locks and see which one works and looks the best. The ones I don't use, I will have for the next one or two........or three........or......

Jim