PDA

View Full Version : Folding band saw blades - I learned a new way!

Al Navas
03-10-2010, 8:39 AM
Last night I made a presentation to our Woodworkers Guild, on resawing on the band saw. It was a gathering of friends and fellow woodworkers. The nice thing about it: I learned a new way to fold a band saw blade. Cherie, our recent past Guild President, shot a 19-second video using her iPhone; I have posted it on my blog, if you care to watch it.

Have any of you ever seen it done the way Rick shows in the video? Or maybe you already use the same technique!

Mike Goetzke
03-10-2010, 9:00 AM
Cool! I've never seen it done that way.

Brian Kincaid
03-10-2010, 9:50 AM
My technique is to wear thick gloves and wrestle it until it makes three loops. Folded 3 blades last night. I have a scratch right between my eyes from the back of the blade (thankful!) So, yeah my technique is awful.

I am going to try the technique in the video. Have a question though, when he puts the second part of the blade under his foot are the teeth pointing the same direction or facing each other? He might have said but I don't have sound.

-Brian

Richard Dragin
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
A link to the video would be nice.

DIRECT LINK TO VIDEO (http://blip.tv/file/3323922/)

There you go

Step on it, hold it with a rag or glove with your hand backwards and twist your wrist while pushing down. Was taught that some years ago.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Go to his profile......there you can find a link to his website.

Robert Reece
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Must be a Missouri thing! Last time my Dad visited me (he is from Missouri), he whipped a 1" resaw blade off my saw and folded it up in 2 seconds like it was no big deal. I usually have a wrestling match with them, but not anymore.

Neil Brooks
03-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Must be a Missouri thing! Last time my Dad visited me (he is from Missouri), he whipped a 1" resaw blade off my saw and folded it up in 2 seconds like it was no big deal. I usually have a wrestling match with them, but not anymore.

It IS the Show Me State, isn't it? ;)

Dennis Lopeman
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
And the LINK?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Dennis,

Al can't post a link to his personal commerical website. It violates the Terms of Service.

If you want to see it ...click on his name.....go to his Personal Profile...there you can find a link to his website.

Joseph Tarantino
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
nice. still wind up with 3 loops, like most other methods. anyone know how blade distributors get them so small when they are packaged for sale? now that would be interesting.

Richard Dragin
03-10-2010, 11:09 AM
The guy at the factory is double jointed.

Richard Amabile
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I like this technique. It seems that I saw this many years ago and just forgot about it when trying to fold some blades a few weeks ago. This was a great refresher for an easy method.

Now the question is "how do you unfold a bandsaw blade so that it doesn't spring free and smack you in the face?" Anyone have tips on this?

Dennis Lopeman
03-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Dennis,

Al can't post a link to his personal commerical website. It violates the Terms of Service.

If you want to see it ...click on his name.....go to his Personal Profile...there you can find a link to his website.

OH - I didn't know that! And I did find it (per your other posting - THANKS!). That guy made it look easy.

Mine is a smaller BandSaw, so I just hang mine as is!

Dennis Lopeman
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I like this technique. It seems that I saw this many years ago and just forgot about it when trying to fold some blades a few weeks ago. This was a great refresher for an easy method.

Now the question is "how do you unfold a bandsaw blade so that it doesn't spring free and smack you in the face?" Anyone have tips on this?

unwrap it and throw it in the air while ducking!! LOL

Stephen Edwards
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM

I take the blade outside and simply throw it on the grass. Presto, it's unfolded. Then go pick it up.

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 1:06 PM
An easier method to fold a blade is to place the blade under your foot as shown, teeth outward, and grasp the top of the blade with one hand, palm down, and turned with your fingers back toward your body.

As you turn your hand around, and turn your palm up, simply lower the blade. It will automatically fold into 3 loops. It doesn't take two hands, and your don't get your face in the midst of a coiled blade.

This is hard to put into words, but I have used this method for decades.

And, I use the "throw it on the ground" method of unfolding the blade - like apparently everyone else!!

Floyd Mah
03-10-2010, 1:47 PM
Nice technique. I remember getting a bandsaw blade in the mail and discovering that it was somehow folded into five loops. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to do that. In case anyone is interested, just fold the blade into three loops. Then hold two of the loops in your hand, adjust them so that they are smaller and fold the remaining larger loop into three loops however you are used to doing it. Now you have two more loops. Of course you can only do this easily with a longer blade.

Bill Shawver
03-10-2010, 2:05 PM
I prefer the single hand method. No steps to think about, and easier to reach, as well as keeps the blade farther from the face/ body. Faster too. :)

Al Navas
03-10-2010, 2:32 PM
Dennis,

Al can't post a link to his personal commercial website. It violates the Terms of Service.

Ken,

Thanks! I appreciate your directions a whole bunch! With so many new members, it is great that you can show the way.

To everyone else:

I am in the camp that also throws the (larger) blades on the ground, and watch them unfold. Last night, before Rick's demo, I demonstrated how to fold a 1/4-inch blade. Then as Rick approached, and trying to be nice, I "simply" unfolded it; the teeth came very close to my face...:eek: Especially for the larger blades, throwing the blade on the floor is the best advice to unravel them.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2010, 3:27 PM
How about a five-ring fold (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94688)? :D

Dennis Lopeman
03-10-2010, 3:35 PM
Ken,

... Especially for the larger blades, throwing the blade on the floor is the best advice to unravel them.

I liked the "grass" idea, since you reduced the chances ov damaging the blade, esp. on a cement floor.

Myk Rian
03-10-2010, 4:40 PM
An easier method to fold a blade is to place the blade under your foot as shown, teeth outward, and grasp the top of the blade with one hand, palm down, and turned with your fingers back toward your body.

As you turn your hand around, and turn your palm up, simply lower the blade. It will automatically fold into 3 loops. It doesn't take two hands, and your don't get your face in the midst of a coiled blade.

And, I use the "throw it on the ground" method of unfolding the blade - like apparently everyone else!!
That's how I've always done it.

John Coloccia
03-10-2010, 5:11 PM
I little while ago, I made a video showing how I do it. Maybe I'll make a new one and repost it. I no longer have to toss it and run, it works for large blades, and is very controllable. I can't view Al's video from work, so I'll only post if my method is different. I say "my" method. I really mean, "the method someone with much more experience than me was kind enough to share with me". Chuck and duck scares the heck out of me.

Richard Dragin
03-10-2010, 5:22 PM
I used to weld my own blades and was taught to test the weld by throwing it on the cement floor.

Al,
How many hits do you think this thread has generated for your website today?

Al Navas
03-10-2010, 6:19 PM
Richard,

There is no way of knowing, until the Analytics data are compiled. The reporting closes at midnight. If I had to guess, possibly under 200 - strictly a wild guess. To me it does not matter, as the only thing that would generate any income are the Google ads - and those pay only per 1,000 hits, at least the ones I have on the Sidebar.

The current pay for those is $0.01 per thousand hits. So, at that rate, I will have made ($0.01 / 1,000)*200, or two tenths of a penny. I hope this helps. The Woodcraft ad pays me nothing per hit - only for actual purchases as the result of someone clicking on the ad, and going to their web site (I am an Affiliate). I chose the Google ads based on helpful information for visitors to my web site, not for what they make for me.

Does this info help? I believe in disclosure. I hope that will satisfy curiosity. But, if there is something beyond that, I would love to know.

Michael Weber
03-10-2010, 6:30 PM
I've been coiling them up real well for quite a while with little problem. But, when I go to uncoil those dudes, that's when that springy, snappy, tensioned snake snaps out to get me. :eek::D

Al Navas
03-10-2010, 6:37 PM
Michael,

That is the danger in trying to open the larger blades while holding them close to you. Throwing them a few feet away works best. Although not apparent in the video, we put down ribbed vinyl flooring on top of heavy-duty carpet padding; our ankles and knees have thanked us numerous times in the last several years, as we have good insulation from the concrete floor, and we use regular shoes. :D A side benefit is that I can throw a blade, back off, and watch the proceedings as it uncoils. A 3/4-inch blade has a lot of stored energy, and a 1-inch blade can cause some serious damage.

Roger Newby
03-10-2010, 6:39 PM
Been doin' that for about 35 years now. The standard three fold is old hat. The five fold has a lot to do with the width as well as length of the blade. I still recommend gloves though, those little beggars will bite you If you don't watch out.

Unfolding, you learn to make sure the pointy part is away from you;) usually after about the third drawing of blood:eek: you remember which way to hold it.:D

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 6:54 PM
I like that method. One thing about uncoiling is be VERY careful where you throw a CARBIDE toothed blade! One rock in the grass could break the brittle teeth!

george wilson
03-10-2010, 8:13 PM
Yep,3 fold has been around for many years. We once had a Master Cabinet Maker who COULD NOT learn how to fold a blade in 3. He's long gone!!!

A blade that is dangerous to unfold is the THICK high speed steel 3/4" metal cutting bandsaw blades. Those blades are a lot thicker than wood blades,and are powerful unfolding.

The worst thing I ever had to unfold(I should say UNCOIL),were the .040" X 12" wide X 15' long rolls of spring steel that we used to make crosscut saws out of!! They came wrapped with steel banding. I came real close to getting my nose wiped off on 1 of those!! Later on,I started buying 3' cut lengths of straight spring steel.

William Falberg
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
nice. still wind up with 3 loops, like most other methods. anyone know how blade distributors get them so small when they are packaged for sale? now that would be interesting.
It's basically the same technique but instead of twisting the blade 180 degrees you give it a second twist for 360 degrees. Loosely; let the coils find their own place. You pretty much have to do it in front of you with both hands and the blade flipping around in your face. I squint - that helps.

John Coloccia
03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Instead of making another video and posting it, I found one online that shows precisely how I do it. I've been using this method for a while now, and find that it's by far the most controlled method of folding and unfolding for me. I've done it on everything from 1/8" to 1" blades, and I can't see myself doing it any other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOSZNjWMyk

The only thing I do differently is I don't bother to hook it under my belt when folding. I believe he's folding a 1 1/2" blade, so that may be nescessary for him to get the required leverage, but I handle even my 1" blade without hooking, no problem.

Al Navas
03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
John,

THAT is the best way I have seen to handle the largest blades. I will try it in the morning - thanks for looking it up, and for posting the link!

John Coloccia
03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
It was actually my 1" blade that put me in search of a better method. Chuck and duck didn't work. The 1" blade wouldn't uncoil. It frustratingly just sat in a coil on the ground no matter how I threw it, and there was NO WAY I was going to partially uncoil a 143"X1" blade before tossing it. That thing will take your head off if you're not careful. A kind soul came to the rescue and showed me this technique.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
The 5-coilers are tough(er) to undo under control so they get tossed in the front yard. :)

glenn bradley
03-11-2010, 1:56 AM

My smaller saw's blades I just open by hand as there is little "spring". The larger saw's blades I toss out onto the lawn.

Brian Kincaid
03-26-2010, 2:17 PM
Finally tried the fold trick. Here is what I learned:

1) It was not clear to me the direction of the teeth when putting the second part under your foot. The first part is tooth out, second part is tooth in (they face each other).

2) You pull the loops across each other and it's done. I am definitely doing it this way from now on. When complete the teeth are down so careful not to bash the floor with them.

-Brian

Paul Atkins
03-26-2010, 4:07 PM
I am tempted to throw mine to the barking dog next door and let him uncoil them for me. Probably only work once.

Bruce Page
03-26-2010, 4:42 PM

That's exactly the way I've been doing it for....decades

Myk Rian
03-26-2010, 4:57 PM
Another thread discussing 5 fold blades.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136518