PDA

View Full Version : T-Square Fence Help

Rob Hough
03-10-2010, 8:31 AM
So I have the G0691 fence and I'm trying to get it aligned properly. The back of the blade is heeling towards the fence. Not sure by how much as I have not measured it - it is visible though, and that's too much for my tastes. If it was going the other way I wouldn't be concerned at all.

I have tried aligning the fence manually using the set screws but I'm running into a problem so I don't think I'm doing something right (I've never had a fence like this before mind you). On my fence there are 2 set screws that rest against the backside of the front rail, and 2 that run against the face of the front rail.

The back set screws seem to adjust how clamping pressure is applied. The front only seem to adjust how firmly the fence rides in the rail... What am I doing wrong? I've decided to replace the face today; I've read about people shimming the fence. What are you using for this? Tape, soda cans, something else?

Mike Christle
03-10-2010, 2:51 PM
So I have the G0691 fence and I'm trying to get it aligned properly. The back of the blade is heeling towards the fence. Not sure by how much as I have not measured it - it is visible though, and that's too much for my tastes. If it was going the other way I wouldn't be concerned at all.

I have tried aligning the fence manually using the set screws but I'm running into a problem so I don't think I'm doing something right (I've never had a fence like this before mind you). On my fence there are 2 set screws that rest against the backside of the front rail, and 2 that run against the face of the front rail.

The back set screws seem to adjust how clamping pressure is applied. The front only seem to adjust how firmly the fence rides in the rail... What am I doing wrong? I've decided to replace the face today; I've read about people shimming the fence. What are you using for this? Tape, soda cans, something else?

Rob,

I had the same problem with mine. To be honest, I found the whole process to be absolutely infuriating. I used the set screws on the front of the fence to adjust the parallelism to the miter slot as best I could, then used shims to make final adjustments. I started with masking tape, but it wasn't going to get me where I needed to be. I ended up using a torn up cereal box out of the recycling bin to shim the back of the fence. That's how far it was off. It took a lot of 1/4 turns of all the set screws, in different combinations, to even get close.

I think part of the problem was in the way the fence was ground at the factory, and then using some seriously wavy UHMW plastic to face it with certainly didn't help things. I have a piece of baltic birch cut and drilled to replace the UHMW face, but I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. I seriously hope I don't have to spend another 3 hours adjusting the fence when I swap parts.

Tom Hintz
03-10-2010, 3:15 PM
I am not familiar with that particular saw but on most T-square style fences you do make the adjustments to get the fence parallel with the blade with the set screws at the rear of the front tube. One thing you have to do is adjust both in opposite directions and do it in very small increments. A very small change at the tube grows a bunch by the time you get to the back of the fence itself.
I haave a story on setting up the table saw (link below) with photos and a video that might have some parts that will ring a bell for you. Sometimes a photo or something helps everything else make sense.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html

Cary Falk
03-10-2010, 3:19 PM
What Tom said. I would loosen the front screws till they almost fall out. Adjust the one on the left into the fence to push the rear of the fence away from the blade. Once you have it parallel to the blade, screw in the front one so they is minimal amount of playin the fence.