PDA

View Full Version : Support Group Needed

Donald Wilkins
03-10-2010, 7:51 AM
I am continuing to travel through the vortex. Driving down the road I am always looking for cut logs and trying to identify trees. For the past two years I have been turning on a Jet 1220 and have had the iching for a larger lathe. With the deals starting on the Jet 1642EVS, I am considering to purchase one. ToolNut has a super deal and the LOML has given (reluctantly though) permission to buy. Does anyone have reservations with them?

Being that I am an occasional turner, is it too much to want a larger lathe? I am in the IT industry and turning time is kind of limited to the weekends. Not to mention that last year my wife stood beside me as I recovered from a tablesaw injury...supporting me all the way (lost a digit). She continues to still lets me work with power tools. What a wonderful woman. :)

Thanks for listening,

-Donald-

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 7:56 AM
Donald, you will get no support from this group!! They will do nothing but suck you deeper into the vortex!:D

And, I have a feeling that you stand at the edge of falling headfirst into this thing.

Nick Mastropietro just got the 1642EVS, and has a thread posted on it. There are several creekers, including Steve Schlumpf I believe, that have them and apparently it is an excellent lathe. I am sure there will be several creekers chime in on this one.

Steve Mawson
03-10-2010, 8:09 AM
I have bought several items from ToolNut and they have always given very good service. Always answer the phone or reply back to emails very quickly. So other than watching my $$$$ say goodbye am well satisfied. The lathe's I purchased were direct shipped from the manufacturer. The Jet 1642 lathe's have always been given good reviews that I have seen so JUMP in like the rest of us. It's only money.

Wayne Bower
03-10-2010, 8:16 AM
Be careful, the vortex has no bottom.

George Guadiane
03-10-2010, 8:27 AM
I am continuing to travel through the vortex. Driving down the road I am always looking for cut logs and trying to identify trees. For the past two years I have been turning on a Jet 1220 and have had the iching for a larger lathe. With the deals starting on the Jet 1642EVS, I am considering to purchase one. ToolNut has a super deal and the LOML has given (reluctantly though) permission to buy. Does anyone have reservations with them?

Being that I am an occasional turner, is it too much to want a larger lathe? I am in the IT industry and turning time is kind of limited to the weekends. Not to mention that last year my wife stood beside me as I recovered from a tablesaw injury...supporting me all the way (lost a digit). She continues to still lets me work with power tools. What a wonderful woman. :)

Thanks for listening,

-Donald-
Hi My Name Is George and I'm a Woodturner.
Donald, "crosstalk" isn't always appropriate, but since you asked for help with your "problem," let me suggest that you get an even BIGGER lathe (PM 3520 would be good). That will help you when you turn. I hope that's the kind of help you wanted:D

Norm Zax
03-10-2010, 8:32 AM
You need help! We need help!
Isn't it fun?
Norm
[Jet 1642EVS owner]

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2010, 8:45 AM
No reservations at all with Toolnut. Sean does the right things for his customers.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 9:02 AM
Donald - excellent lathe choice! Looking forward to seeing your gloat - with photos!

Sean Hughto
03-10-2010, 10:05 AM
No reservations. I love mine.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3972778533_203c4f29bc.jpg

Go for it!

steven carter
03-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Why in the world would they let anyone in the IT field get anywhere near power tools?????????:eek::eek:

Just kidding.... I've been in the IT field since punched cards and paper tape (early 1970's). I have a Jet 1642 1 1/2 hp and love it, you will not be disappointed.

Steve

Donald Wilkins
03-10-2010, 2:19 PM
Well...I have just ordered one from ToolNut...no tax, no shipping, and a lot of waiting :).

As for the PM suggestion, The finance manager did not approve the funds for that much. The Jet should get me close to the functions with half the cost. If I went the route of the PM I would have to sleep in the bed I would have made in shavings as that would be my new dog house. :(

Now off to a week or 2 of waiting...pictures will be forthcoming.

Mike Peace
03-10-2010, 4:43 PM
Congrats on your new lathe, Donald. I know you are going to enjoy it. Give me a call if you need another pair of hands with the setup. I don't want your finance manager to hurt her back, LOL.

Roland Martin
03-10-2010, 5:25 PM
Congratulations Donald. I can't imagine you would ever be disappointed with this purchase. This is the lathe I'm dreaming of getting at some point. The bigger problem is that there is never an end to what we need or want to add to this unstoppable suction that the vortex creates. We are all doomed to the wood shaving graveyard, but what a self-satisfying journey we are on. Have a great time and turn with care!

Donald Wilkins
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Mike, Thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that. I now have to rework some dust collection lines to make room for it. I hope to keep the 1220 for a while.

I assume it is better to get an adapter for the 1220 for the 1-1/4 inserts that I need to buy for the 2 SN2 chucks I have than put an adapter on the bigger lathe using the smaller inserts?

Thanks

-Donald-

Donald Wilkins
03-12-2010, 7:47 PM
Just got a call for a Monday delivery of the 1642...ToolNut was on the ball. The sale is not even over yet and the lathe is on the way. Already picked up some upgrades from Woodcraft (i.e. extra chuck and new tool rest as I like the Best Tool rest system). I had to order the inserts from Craft Supply as Woodcraft was out of the 1-1/4 insert for the SN2 chuck(s).

Got to clean the shop this weekend and make room:)

I think I have fallen over the edge...aint that cool.

Mike Peace
03-12-2010, 9:04 PM
I bought a spindle adapter to go from 1 1/4 to 1" chuck. Than I bought another chuck with a 1 1/4 insert. That way I have a chuck that will work on each lathe although my mini lathe is set up for Beall buffing. I keep the 1" chuck permanently mounted on the spindle adapter so I can use it with a smaller set of jaws on my PM.

charlie knighton
03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
congratulations, David, you will look back and wish why you did not do it 10 years ago