PDA

View Full Version : First Natural Edge Bowl

MIKE E BEE
03-10-2010, 7:27 AM
This is my first natural edge bowl. Turned from a piece of maple. It is 7" around and 5" high and finished with a couple of coats of butcher block oil. This one was also standing in woods just a few weeks ago. I coated the bark with a couple of coats of spar varnish while it was still in its rough form and then finished it out from there. I am not sure if this will help or hurt the cause but it does make the bark stand out due to the sheen. After my last bowl the flat bottom is definately out so I went with a recess and couple of beads on this one. I dont hate the look but the only problem here is there isn't a good spot to sign it. Maybe one less bead?? HMMM.

And boy did the new curved tool rest came in handy on this one. I am not sure how I did the rough out a couple of weeks ago without it.

Thanks in advance for your comments

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 7:51 AM
Nice work, Mike. Wonder if you could do the same thing on the bark with a matt finish of some sort to cut the sheen? I like what you have done on the foot, too.

On taking the pics, if you don't get so close, I think they will be in better focus. Or, if your camera has a macro setting? They are a little fuzzy with a shallow depth of field. Makes it hard to appreciate the excellent work you did on this one!

Wayne Bower
03-10-2010, 8:18 AM
Very nice Mike. Keep them coming

Frank Van Atta
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Nice piece.

Methinks the foot is too large - JMO, that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla.

Don Geiger
03-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Way to go! Hang on to it no matter how much your Mother-In-Law or some other relative wants it. The first one is special. You can always turn them another one.

I still have my very first one and it's fun to look at every once in a while and reminisce about the journey.

Don Geiger

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I agree with Don. Sign it, date it, type of wood and keep it for comparison down the road. Nice looking HF.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 1:16 PM
Nice looking NE Mike! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

MIKE E BEE
03-10-2010, 3:51 PM
Nice work, Mike. Wonder if you could do the same thing on the bark with a matt finish of some sort to cut the sheen? I like what you have done on the foot, too.

On taking the pics, if you don't get so close, I think they will be in better focus. Or, if your camera has a macro setting? They are a little fuzzy with a shallow depth of field. Makes it hard to appreciate the excellent work you did on this one!

Thanks John. Yes maybe a little to shiny on the bark. I just had a gloss around so I went with that. I only used 1 coat and the bark sucked it in so much that it looked like there was not anything on there. When i coated it with the oil it really got shiny. I think it might dry down a bit after the oil dries down a bit. It was still wet when I took the pics.

As far as the pics, no macro setting. I have been using my cell phone because my regular cam is down but I think its time to get it back up and running. I have had issues with past posts and have tried every setting but the bottom line is it is just a cell phone so the quality is not there for these type of pics. Problem will be resolved. Appreciate your input.

Thanks

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 7:42 PM
Nice work, Mike. Looking forward to seeing more. i gave away the first bowl I ever turned, and I now regret it tremendously. I say you keep it unless it's going to a place where you'll get to see it from time to time.