PDA

View Full Version : Sealing logs

Rob Holcomb
03-10-2010, 6:50 AM
I have the opportunity to pick up a few logs for future use. I don't know what type of wood it is because the trees were cut by my County's crew. When I inquired about picking up a few pieces, they were all too happy to allow me to grab them. Anyway, I am just starting out and I don't have any anchorseal or anything like that, so what could I use in a pinch and how should they be stored until I cut them into bowl blanks? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg Just
03-10-2010, 7:04 AM
In a pinch, use latex paint, although in my experience it is not as good as Anchorseal. Take all the wood you can get. I hear some guy named John is in need of some :D

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 7:59 AM
I hear some guy named John is in need of some :DI represent that remark, Greg!!!!:D

I did notice that one can order Anchorseal 2 direct from uccoatings with free shipping in the eastern part of the country. That may be a better deal than buying from local suppliers like Woodcraft. Also, you can get a 5 gallon container!!:D:D;)

Norm Zax
03-10-2010, 8:30 AM
I use paraffin (candle) wax melted (carefully) in a dedicated pot and then either dip log (about 1/2 inch, for small diameter logs) or apply to ends with a natural bristle brush (synthetic will melt). Make sure wax is hot (or it will peel off) and pot is at least one inch empty (fumes are flamable). Dries in 5 seconds.
For short term (usually 2 days but not rarely two months) I cover any exposed edge with shrink wrap. Ignore fungi if it develops or open for an hour and replace.
Start hoarding!
Norm

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 9:11 AM
Rob - latex will work in a pinch - but just barely. First - make sure that the endgrain has not started to check yet. If it has - then you need to cut the wood back enough so that the checked area is removed. I learned the hard way that once the wood has checked - no amount of paint sill stop the process from continuing.

Also, be aware that when using water-based latex - it will dry and crack with moisture loss. You will need to monitor the wood and re-coat the endgrain as needed until you have a good base built up.

The advantage of anchorseal is that usually 2 coats is all you need and you can forget about it.

Have fun! Looking forward to the photos!

Richard Coers
03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
If you are going to make only bowls from them, I suggest cutting large blocks down the pith or center of the log. This will really help reduce checking. Also keep them off the ground. That will help a little with keeping the bugs out, although they are probably already there from the winter. I've tried painting the ends, add a layer of newspaper to the wet paint, then coat again. It will be more effective than just paint.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Rob I used latex paint when I first started turning. I happen to get some logs and didn't have time to get anchorseal. I cut the logs in bowl blanks making sure the pith was cut out. I painted a coat of latex that was left over from a job in the house. After the first coat dried I painted another coat on.

Reed Gray
03-10-2010, 1:40 PM
Last logs I got, I didn't have any anchor seal, so used a gallon of old oil based finish that I had around. It was kind of thick, but penetrated fine, and did the job.

If you use paint, use several coats.

robo hippy

Chris Stolicky
03-10-2010, 3:07 PM
You live in "Western NY."

Anchorseal is out of Buffalo. That is usually the best option.