PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 3G 3GS

Jack Burton
03-10-2010, 6:32 AM
I have a customer that want's 5 new Iphones engraved (rastered text only). The new ones are plastic backed.....any hints on settings/technique? Thanks!

Mark Ross
03-10-2010, 8:51 AM
You can never go wrong by starting out with too little power and having to run the file a second or third time. You CAN go wrong with too much power.

I have done a few plastic laptops and always start out with minimal power. Better safe than sorry.

Ross Moshinsky
03-10-2010, 9:24 AM
I recently did some Nano's and IPods in an unconventional way that worked well for the customer, but maybe not your customer. I took some super thin plastic with adhesive on the back, I believe sold by JDS, and engraved it and then stuck it on the back. This happened to be for a customer that was giving the units away which is why he was fine with this solution. Each iPod was made of different materials and I was really worried that they weren't going to engrave or get damaged and I'd be stuck replacing $200 iPods. The sticker idea worked for me and it didn't look half bad. Wasn't as clever as being lasered right on, but honestly, sometimes I'm just not into the idea of engraving expensive stuff.

Jimmy Estrada Jr
05-08-2010, 7:49 AM
I've done sony ereaders and the leather covers for them. When I engrave my xbox 360 I started out at 20% power, 100% speed with an epilog 60w laser. I did three passes to get the depth that I wanted. I had to use different settings when I engraved Super Mario on the side of a Wii. The plastic on both sides of the Wii is actually not the same. One side engraves clearer than the other side. Just be careful. You can always see if they would rather engrave the snap on covers for the 3G. If you mess up those only run around 15-20 dollars vs. 300 plus for a new iPhone. Hope this helps.

Dave Johnson29
05-08-2010, 1:48 PM
going to engrave or get damaged and I'd be stuck replacing $200 iPods.

Ross,

Damaged I can understand replacing, but engraving is the customer's responsibility. I have done literally hundreds of ipods for the local high school kids and damaged none. They all engraved fine too, but I get the customer to sign a simple release because of the unknown material on an item I have not worked with before.

They are responsible for the spelling and the success of the marking, providing I do everything correctly.

Shawn Conklin
05-08-2010, 6:19 PM
epilog has a demo video and settings for iphone

http://www.epiloglaser.com/sc_iphone.htm

edit - whoops ... didn't realize the original post was older ... well they still have the video :-) - edit

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-09-2010, 7:49 AM
Dave,

That release form is a great idea. Mate could I get a copy?

Regards,

Ian

Dave Johnson29
05-09-2010, 10:35 AM
That release form is a great idea. Mate could I get a copy?

Sure, while it may not be legally binding, it alerts the customer to the fact that things may not go well. I tell them that if they are not 100% happy with signing, then they should shop around for someone else that has the experience with that material.

Print it on your business letterhead, and here you go...

I, {customer's name} of {street, City, Zip} acknowledge that I have been informed by {your laser company name} that the work I have requested performed with their laser marking equipment on this {item name} is using a material unknown to them.

I accept full responsibility and will not hold {your laser company name} liable if the laser marking does not turn out as anticipated by {your laser company name}

I also accept that this process may cause damage to the item and will not hold {your laser company name} liable for any inadvertent damage caused by {your laser company name} during the laser marking process.

I have seen the artwork to be used and have fully approved the design, the wording, spelling and any dates and/or times in the artwork.

If after the laser marking process, I notice an error in the marking not attributable to the actual process of marking, I accept full responsibility and will not hold {your laser company name} liable after my approval of the design, wording, spelling, dates or times.

{Customer signature}
{Date}
{Your signature}
{your laser company name}

Jeremy Brown
05-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I have done a couple iphones.

Things to remember
there is a couple layers to the phone

first there is a very light engraving that kinda of etches the clear finish(turns gray)

there is a black layer that is very thin
and there is a brown layer(might be pvc)

The problem is the contour of the device and the uneven finish on the back. Large engravings that use the entire back will run into this around the edges.

Dont let me scare you, just dont get greedy with the engraving.

I have a template for the iphone and the ipod classic that has the apple logo outlined. (alot of time laying this out). Its at the shop, I can post it on Monday if anyone would like it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/jbrown2252/IMG_0178.jpg

Dan Hintz
05-09-2010, 6:37 PM
Dave,

Your wording may be doing more harm than good. First you state the customer accepts full responsibility (though you don't specify responsibility for what), then at the end you essentially say if an error is attributable to the lasering process they are not held responsible (which leaves you holding the bag). This could be misalignment, odd colors coming through, and on and on...

I highly suggest thinking about your wording very carefully, as if someone does decide to take you to court, the judge is going to take one look at that and find for the plaintiff.

Sure, while it may not be legally binding, it alerts the customer to the fact that things may not go well. I tell them that if they are not 100% happy with signing, then they should shop around for someone else that has the experience with that material.

Print it on your business letterhead, and here you go...

I, {customer's name} of {street, City, Zip} acknowledge that I have been informed by {your laser company name} that the work I have requested performed with their laser marking equipment on this {item name} is using a material unknown to them.

I accept full responsibility and will not hold {your laser company name} liable if the laser marking does not turn out as anticipated by {your laser company name}

I also accept that this process may cause damage to the item and will not hold {your laser company name} liable for any inadvertent damage caused by {your laser company name} during the laser marking process.

I have seen the artwork to be used and have fully approved the design, the wording, spelling and any dates and/or times in the artwork.

If after the laser marking process, I notice an error in the marking not attributable to the actual process of marking, I accept full responsibility and will not hold {your laser company name} liable after my approval of the design, wording, spelling, dates or times.

{Customer signature}
{Date}
{Your signature}
{your laser company name}