PDA

View Full Version : Result of new toys

Karl Card
03-10-2010, 2:11 AM
Here about a week or two ago i had posted about upgrading my turning tools. Well I went and bought the 8 piece HSS set of WC. (woodriver) there is no way to describe the difference between my old tools and the new ones. I basically almost have to learn how to turn again. I put a good size purpleheart spindle on there and these new tools took nice long thin curls off the wood. It also just took a slight movement of one leg to make the tool cut where I really didnt want to.
I have got to post some pics i just keep putting it off but I also got the rikon lathe from woodcraft that they had on sale for 349 plus free stand. I will use it for turning freehand and use my jet for the duplicator. So far I am very pleased with the rikon. I also picked up the big rough gouge cutter that has the carbide 4 sided cutter and the ring cutting woodriver tool and also a set of mini tools that was on sale.

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 6:37 AM
Karl, congrats on all the new toys!! I use the HF set, and it does fine, though I can highly recommend getting a Thompson bowl gouge (if you do bowls), and a Thompson detail gouge for the spindle work.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Karl congrats on the new lathe and tools. I have the Rikon and it has been a fine lathe. I agree with John the Thompson tools are great tools. Good, sharp tools do make a big difference.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Congrats on your new HSS turning tool set! Good tools - especially sharp ones - make a huge difference in turning!

Have fun! Looking forward to the photos!

Jeff Fagen
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Karl,I to have a new Ricon mini with extension and am just loving it.:D
Even if i buy new tools I am still challenged with proper sharpening.:(