PDA

View Full Version : Hard Maple Baby Rattle

Michael Dromey
03-09-2010, 8:41 PM
This is my first project back on the lathe after a two year absence. I wasn't very confident when I started. I know it looks like a baseball bat, but I will be working on the profile. :D It is really cool to hear it rattle though. The rattle is about 6"x 1 3/4". I haven't finished the ends yet. What are the best techniques for finishing the ends? Please give me your thoughts.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2010, 9:12 PM
From one Kansas boy to another welcome back to the turning world. Your rattle looks pretty good to me. It is all up hill from here.

David E Keller
03-09-2010, 9:38 PM
It looks good, but I'm not sure how you made it rattle. Did you hollow the two halves before gluing it up?

As for finishing the ends, you could wrap it with something to protect it and then use a scroll chuck. A jam chuck might be an option as well. Otherwise, the 80 grit gouge and some elbow grease.:(

Toney Robertson
03-09-2010, 9:41 PM
I hope that the kid does not hit their head with it. It might knock them out!!! :D

Looks good and I also want to know what makes it rattle.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2010, 9:56 PM
Looks pretty good!

For finishing the ends - I would wrap one end in closed cell foam and hold it in a chuck - then round over the opposite end, sand. Switch ends, repeat procedure.

Michael Dromey
03-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I will post pictures tommorrow of the steps that I used to make it. I will also try the chuck idea.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Nicely done Michael!

I turned a rattle recently and I have to have another one done before Sunday. We fly to Houston and see our youngest son's and wife's new born twins.

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 6:18 AM
Looks like you got a very good cut on the surface - excellent work!

Kyle Iwamoto
03-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I made a rattle, little while ago for a friend. IMO if it were to be used as a rattle, I would reccomend that there be NO finish. The rattle will eventually end up in their mouth. I made it with captive rings though. Yours does look more interesting.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Kyle,

I used dewaxed shellac on my rattle.

There are a lot of uses for shellac...and it's safe.

Michael Dromey
03-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Here is a pic of the jig that I came up with to sand the ends of the rattle. What are some of the ways that others finish the ends with? If you use a chuck, how do you mount it in the chuck?

David E Keller
03-10-2010, 11:01 PM
That's a great idea. Mission accomplished!