PDA

View Full Version : Largest bowl turned on a 46-460

Donny Lawson
03-09-2010, 8:27 PM
What's the largest bowl you have put on your 46-460? I know I have a 6 1/4" from the live center to the bed of the lathe. Yesterday I tried to turn (I think) a 10" or so blank and it fit the lathe fine but I had the problem when I tried to slide my tool rest in position. It would not go under the blank.I had to remove the blank and slide the tool rest to the other side and sorta work on it from there.Is there something I haven't figured out yet?It would be nice if the toolrest would slide under the blank so I can work all the way around the piece.
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2010, 9:00 PM
Donny I think it is 9 1/2" over the tool rest. Actually it is 9 9/16".

David E Keller
03-09-2010, 9:41 PM
I think your max on that lathe is around 12 inches, but as Bernie said, anything over 9.5 isn't going to clear the banjo. I don't have that lathe, but on my old Rikon midi, I struggle sometimes getting around larger pieces because you can only work from one side, and the banjo was a little short for geting to the rim of large pieces.

Keeton turns on one of those, so I'm sure he'll weigh in.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Your banjo doesn't have to fit under the bowl blank - so you should be able to turn a 12" bowl with no problem.

Brian Effinger
03-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I've actually been starting to put some thought in how to turn larger than 12" on my Delta. If I do come up with something, I'll have to post it.

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2010, 6:02 AM
I turned a platter that was just over 12" and close to 12 1/4". You just have to mount it good and centered and cut it darn near perfectly round. The delta has a 12 1/2" swing so I pushed the limit!

Just takes time and planning,

Jeff

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 6:25 AM
The others are correct. It can easily be done. Just extend the tailstock all the way, so you have enough room to use the toolrest on the tail face of the bowl and the edge. Then spin the chuck off, and move the toolrest to the headstock side, etc. I started a 12" blank, but bailed out on it because of a large crack, so I haven't actually finished a large bowl yet.

Donny Lawson
03-10-2010, 6:29 AM
The Cedar blank I cut out last night is 11" x 5" or so thick and I thought it would be a pain to work all the way around it.It's a nice looking piece and I would like to keep it as large as possible.I will figure something out. I will see if I can get some pictures tonight.
Donny