PDA

View Full Version : Lapping Video

Jim Koepke
03-09-2010, 7:39 PM
Someone on another forum wanted to see a plane being lapped on my lapping bench. Since it was a bit big, or should it be too many bytes too big, to post it was uploaded to YouTube.

If anyone cares to see, it is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtmWSkD_fU

Unprofessional and we didn't notice the cat put in her own speaking part until after bringing it inside.

jim

brian c miller
03-09-2010, 8:10 PM
Nice vid and where do I send my plane to meet that HUGE lapping plate?

Randal Stevenson
03-09-2010, 9:07 PM
Good video, but I don't understand why it doesn't show up, under your user name? (clicked to see any other video's)

Jim Koepke
03-09-2010, 9:13 PM
Good video, but I don't understand why it doesn't show up, under your user name? (clicked to see any other video's)

Thanks, this is my only video so far.

I may have made mistakes in uploading it. It did not show up in a search. Not sure if it has to be around a few hours before it gets into the Youtube search engine.

jim

george wilson
03-09-2010, 9:25 PM
Nice video,Jim. Clever using a magnet to pick up the iron dust.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2010, 9:41 PM
Nice video,Jim. Clever using a magnet to pick up the iron dust.

I forgot to mention the magnet is wrapped in paper so it is easier to just toss the paper.

jim

Steve knight
03-10-2010, 2:09 AM
you are pushing your sandpaper way too far. the problem with lapping and narrow sandpaper is that it wears in the middle faster then the ends and the sides. so you end up cutting the sides of the plane more then the center.
there are two ways to help with this one is to change the sandpaper often. as soon as it starts slowing down on the cutting. or use a wide lapping plate.
I learned this lesson the hard way making infills. but I saw it even lapping wooden planes.
I use zirconia belts and I would not use them more then 10 minutes or so.
alos mark the sole so you can see how it is getting cut.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2010, 2:31 AM
you are pushing your sandpaper way too far. the problem with lapping and narrow sandpaper is that it wears in the middle faster then the ends and the sides. so you end up cutting the sides of the plane more then the center.
there are two ways to help with this one is to change the sandpaper often. as soon as it starts slowing down on the cutting. or use a wide lapping plate.
I learned this lesson the hard way making infills. but I saw it even lapping wooden planes.
I use zirconia belts and I would not use them more then 10 minutes or so.
alos mark the sole so you can see how it is getting cut.

Steve,

Thanks for the tips. I agree, the sandpaper in this case should be changed. This video was made mostly for someone on a BBS that I have been on since before the internet wanted to see one of my "big" planes on my lapping set up.

I have noticed the wear factor in the paper and have usually used the ends of the paper for other tasks and I also will run the center of the plane down the edge of the paper. The sole on this plane had enough marking from scratches and patina on it to make the metal removal areas quite evident.

What you mention about the wear of the abrasive is likely why James Taglienti mentioned a tendency to get convex soles. I think my technique is to compensate without even thinking much about it. That may be why sometimes it is difficult to pass on our skills because of all the things we do unconsciously are hard to transfer to another person who is eager to learn.

jim

Jim Paulson
03-10-2010, 7:37 AM
Steve,

Thanks for those comments. I confess that in my efforts to not be wasteful and max out the use of sandpaper, I'm one of the people who have added curvature to the plane bottom. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but we want to change the paper once the paper first shows a significant loss in cutting which as you suggest might occur in about 10 minutes of lapping. So if I'm using 6 inch wide sand paper and attempt to lap over the whole width and length of the paper as much as possible, do it slower and with more control and then ditch the paper just as soon as wear becomes evident, I should have better results. Got it.

I can't imagine how much sandpaper you must go through in your work.

Jim

Tony Shea
03-10-2010, 9:14 AM
I usually give up before I get an old plane to where I want it. I go through far too much sand paper and just run out of patience. This lapping process is not for the weak hearted by any means. It also takes a fair amount of know how as you don't want to make the plane worse off that it was before.

Leigh Betsch
03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I usually give up before I get an old plane to where I want it.

Reminds me of when I was in the shop as a toolmaker. One of the other journeymen said "We're all perfectionists, just some of us compromise before others". He always "compromised" a bit to soon in my opinion.
25 years latter I still think of this quote often, usually when I'm thinking about "compromising", makes me try harder.

jerry nazard
03-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Jim,

Great video - and the cat adds a nice touch! I have a good lead on a stone, and we know exactly where that will lead >>> more planes. I recently rehabbed two really junky blocks: a Millers Falls #75 and an old #9 1/2. Lots of fun on a snowy afternoon, and both planes are a useful addition to my flock of iron orphans.

Best to you and the kitty!

-Jerry

Steve knight
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM
lapping is a lof of work trying to flatten a new infill was a real workout.
the wider you can go the better off you are. when i went to 24x36 it was pretty much a non issue on uneven wear. plus the paper lasts a lot longer.

Leigh Betsch
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Steve when you use 24x36 do you alternate lapping at 90 degrees, length of the paper and then rotating to lap across the width?

Eric Sandvik
03-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I have an old woodie jointer that is in really great shape but needs the bottom flattened. I want to say that I read somewhere that sanding wasn't recommended for a wooden plane as that may leave residue sand in the sole of the plane. Is that the case?

I'm a little wary about trying to flatten it by planing. I'm still pretty new and while i've managed to 6 square a board, I know I took more wood off than I would have had I more practice or something like a fenced joiner. To me sanding seems like it would be the easiest way to lap the sole of the plane to flat without taking so much off that the mouth opens up.

Steve knight
03-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Steve when you use 24x36 do you alternate lapping at 90 degrees, length of the paper and then rotating to lap across the width?

well I tried but it depended on how much junk was on the surface plate at the time :p

Steve knight
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I have an old woodie jointer that is in really great shape but needs the bottom flattened. I want to say that I read somewhere that sanding wasn't recommended for a wooden plane as that may leave residue sand in the sole of the plane. Is that the case?

I'm a little wary about trying to flatten it by planing. I'm still pretty new and while i've managed to 6 square a board, I know I took more wood off than I would have had I more practice or something like a fenced joiner. To me sanding seems like it would be the easiest way to lap the sole of the plane to flat without taking so much off that the mouth opens up.

there is not residue issue. well if you use really cheap sandpaper there may be. paling it takes some practice so you may want to wait on that. you can use a power jointer and really light passes. but I still found you needed to lap it afterwards.

Rye Crane
03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Jim,

Thank you for the video. I didn't see or hear your cat, I even lined up my
two kitties and they didn't alert either. So much for a watch cat, right?

I didn't go with a chunk of granite if that is what you are using, I went to
my glass company in town and asked them for a piece of float glass that is about 48" X 8" . It worked well and was a little easier to handle than
the piece of stone.

I am very fond of Longview and Kelso, Wa., former wife's family was from the area. Have you run into any of the Chalupa's in town? Good folks, nice town.

thanks again,
Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2010, 1:05 PM
Jim,

Thank you for the video. I didn't see or hear your cat, I even lined up my
two kitties and they didn't alert either. So much for a watch cat, right?

I didn't go with a chunk of granite if that is what you are using, I went to
my glass company in town and asked them for a piece of float glass that is about 48" X 8" . It worked well and was a little easier to handle than
the piece of stone.

I am very fond of Longview and Kelso, Wa., former wife's family was from the area. Have you run into any of the Chalupa's in town? Good folks, nice town.

thanks again,
Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Thanks Rye, the cat comes in at about 16 to 20 seconds just making a little noise.

Have not met any Chalupa's as of yet. We have been here less than two years and live about half way to Cathlamet from Longview. Only get in to town about once a week or so. We moved up from the bay area. I usually only made it out to Pittsburg for work when I was a technician with BART.

Have fun,

jim

Steve knight
03-10-2010, 1:30 PM
I noticed the borg had pre made granite counter tops. they looked like they would work well since they are large enough but not super thick.

Rob Fisher
03-10-2010, 2:45 PM
...I saw it even lapping wooden planes...

So you use sandpaper to true the soles of wooden planes? The reason that I ask is because I have heard others say that sandpaper is not good for wooden planes as it can leave remnants of grit behind in the wood, and I am not sure if that matters or not.

If you do use sandpaper on wooden planes is it the same stuff that you use for metal ones? If you don't use sandpaper what do you use to true a wooden sole?

Rob

Edit: Nevermind I see you already answered this question above.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2010, 3:02 PM
I noticed the borg had pre made granite counter tops. they looked like they would work well since they are large enough but not super thick.

I liked the counter top idea, but the hunk of marble was the lowest cost solution that I found.

I was even considering a large machinist surface plate. I guess if I was in the business one might be in order.

jim

C Scott McDonald
03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Neat video thanks for taking the time to put it together.

You forget to feed the cat? :D Mine gets all chatty when I forget to top off the food dish.

Scott

Steve knight
03-11-2010, 1:31 AM
never had a problem with sandpaper. even if things embedded in the sole they would come out pretty fast.
I just sold my 24x34 surface plate. only 300+ pounds.

Jim Paulson
03-11-2010, 7:27 AM
Like all the others, I appreciated your post and the video. It looks like the granite is monument stock, if that is true, Jim how flat (+ or - 0.000?) would it be just so I know?

I am using a 3/8" thick piece of glass that is 6" by 36" and I thought I'd ask in case I opt to go the same route at some point.

Regards,
Jim

Jim Koepke
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Like all the others, I appreciated your post and the video. It looks like the granite is monument stock, if that is true, Jim how flat (+ or - 0.000?) would it be just so I know?

I am using a 3/8" thick piece of glass that is 6" by 36" and I thought I'd ask in case I opt to go the same route at some point.

Regards,
Jim

Yes, it came from a monument maker here in town. I do not have a way to test its flatness other than to use a straight edge. My straight edge is actually a 4 foot aluminum ruler. There were very few places where a little light came under. I do not think it is perfect, just better than what I have had and it is improving the planes that have been lapped.

If one wants a certified flat surface, it is going to cost some buck$$$.

jim

Eric Brown
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I currently use a 9" x 12" surface plate for my planes up to #5.
The larger planes are ok for now. Been thinking instead of getting a "rock" for the larger one's I might get a tablesaw wing extension or something similar. (Then rust is an issue. AHHHHHHH.) Nothings perfect it seems.

Your video was very nice and I hope you do more. It almost felt like I met you and it left me with a warm feeling. You have a wonderful speaking voice.
Perhaps you will make a "Fettling for Beginners Video"?

(PS: My cat heard yours. It was funny.)

Eric

Randal Stevenson
03-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Yes, it came from a monument maker here in town. I do not have a way to test its flatness other than to use a straight edge. My straight edge is actually a 4 foot aluminum ruler. There were very few places where a little light came under. I do not think it is perfect, just better than what I have had and it is improving the planes that have been lapped.

If one wants a certified flat surface, it is going to cost some buck$$$.

jim

And here I figured you were going to come back with a reply like,

"A monument company provided me with this scrap piece, after consistently running into me, lapping planes at the cemetery":p