PDA

View Full Version : old plane refurb resource?

Greg Portland
03-09-2010, 7:21 PM
I have a pile of old wooden planes that I'd like to refurbish. Some require new blades and most of the wood is dry (some cracks). It is a mix of moulding and bench planes. Are there any good resources (online, books, videos) detailing a refurbishing method?

Rick Whitehead
03-09-2010, 9:01 PM
First of all, I'd advise you to do some research to determine if any of your planes were made by uncommon makers or were made in the 18th century.Those planes have much more value as a collectible than as a user. Some references for that are"British Planemakers from 1700" by W.L. Goodman and "A Guide to the Makers of American Wooden Planes" by Emil and Martyl Pollack.If your library doesn't have them, they may be able to get them through inter-library loan.Or, you can post pictures of the planes here, and I and others can give you more information on them.
After you've done that, I can recommend "Restoring, Tuning, and Using Classic Woodworking Tools" by Michael Dunbar.It is a pretty complete guide to restoring, sharpening, and using all kinds of woodworking tools.
To replace the missing irons, you can post a WTB ad in the Classified section, or contact one of the old tool dealers.However, wooden planes, especially molding planes, were made for a specific iron.Another iron may be the same size, but won't exactly fit.You will at least have to make a new wedge for them.
Please post some pictures of your planes!
Rick

Greg Portland
03-11-2010, 3:30 PM
Thanks Rick. These are all "user" planes from my grandfather's brother (so I figure early 1900's as a manufacture date).

I noticed that Lie-Nilsen makes replacement moulding plane blanks. I have to determine if I can make these into 'users' again or if I should just refurb for display / sentiment.

James Taglienti
03-11-2010, 5:43 PM
It all depends on how much time and energy you want to put into them. If you clean them with a diluted detergent and hit them with linseed oil, then you can show them just like that.
If you want users, you might have to inspect the soles of the molders and make sure all the boxing is in place, or at least most of it, make sure they havent warped, and ensure the iron is the same profile as the bottom. You can stabilize checks and cracks with CA glue if you want.
If they are going to be a big undertaking to bring back to usability, bear in mind that you can buy user molding planes all day long for 10 bucks or less, which is what I usually "charge myself" to refurbish fwiw. Unless there are some really awesome profiles on a molder that is in otherwise rough shape, I won't mess with it.
However, sometimes it is an enjoyable way to pass the time, taking a thing that was once beautiful, is now ugly, and bringing it back to it's former beauty.
It may also be good karma, perhaps the spirits of woodworkers past will see your efforts and direct their old tools towards you.