PDA

View Full Version : side to side arbor movement on Jet cabinet saw

coloradotrout
03-09-2010, 6:52 PM
I have a Jet 10" cabinet saw. It's always bugged me that there seems to be a few thousandths side to side play in the arbor. I measured it at about .004 to .005 with the belts off the arbor pulleys. It seems like I could loosen the pulley set screws (part 109), tighten up the pulley side arbor nut (part 116), and draw that play out, but it does not seem to work that way. Any ideas? I guess that arbor is pressed into the bearings which are pressed into the arbor housing? I'm not a bearing or machine expert. Loosening or tightening that arbor nut (116) seems to have no effect at all. I can loosen it several rotations and the arbor still has the same play (where I thought it might actually have much more play).

Here is the diagram:
http://tinypic.com/m/8yxa2x/3

John Parker
03-09-2010, 7:03 PM
Sounds like the play is in he bearings.

John

coloradotrout
03-09-2010, 7:21 PM
Yeah, again, I don't quite understand how these bearings all work, but when I read about "pressing" in the bearings and "pressing" in the arbor, it sort of makes me think that the arbor and bearings are more or less pressed together, and the arbor nut is just safe measure that it does not seperate. It's not a loose fit such that the arbor nut could draw the assembly tighter. By looking at the drawing, it seemed like the arbor nut was all that held this together, and so I figured if I tightened it up a bit -- .004" or so -- then all the play would be taken out. But as you say, maybe the bearings have that much side to side play, which would explain all of this.

Dave Lehnert
03-09-2010, 9:08 PM
First I would give JET a call. I thought my bearings were shot and asked for advice on the best way to replace. He knew right away what my problem was and was a very simple fix.

Richard Dragin
03-09-2010, 9:10 PM
I was going to jump in with a suggestion but Dave's response makes to much sense.

coloradotrout
03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I'll give Jet a 3rd call. Maybe I did not ask the right Qs the other two. I described the issue, but I was after an understanding of how the arbor assembly fits together. But in the course of that discussion never did they suggest any fixes to the side to side play. They seemed to suggest that a few thousandths was acceptable. I do not really buy that -- seems to me in that location there should be 0 play.

If you don't mind, go ahead and post your thoughts or feedback from Jet.