PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Grizzly G0690/1 owner in Houston, TX area...

Milind Patil
03-09-2010, 6:43 PM
who wouldn't mind letting me see the saw ?

Called Grizzly this morning. They don't have any owner from Texas that signed up for referral.

Jim O'Dell
03-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm in West Fort Worth if you have any travel plans this direction. I'd be glad for you to come take a look at my 691. I didn't know one needed to sign up for referral. I thought they might email owners in the area when the need arises and wait for a response. Jim.

Milind Patil
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks very much for the offer. I don't have any plan to visit DWF in near future (I have never been to DWF and I am living in Houston for past 15 years. Can you believe that ?)

But who knows...

The lady I spoke to at Grizzly said the nearest G0690/1 owner I could visit would be in Missouri (first I thought she is talking about Missouri City which is about 20-25 miles from my place, but she was talking about Missouri State). She said she could not see any owner in Texas, and then said may be because not all the owners are willing to be refference (which kind of implies that owners need to be signed up upfront. Because I knew there are many G0690/1 owners in Texas. I know at least one from West Fort Worth :-)

By the way, how is your mobile cart coming up ? Very eager to see it in action ! Especially considering the fact that it will be carrying whopping 600 lb.

Rob Hough
03-10-2010, 8:17 AM
When you go through the warranty registration questionnaire it asks if Grizzly can use your name as a reference to Grizzly customers in the area:

" 9. Would you allow us to use your name as a reference for Grizzly customers in your area? We never use names more than 3 times."

I signed up - but not in the area, sorry. Have you checked with your local ww shops to see if they have a bulletin board, or local wood working group/club? Might be able to find someone that way as well.

Jim O'Dell
03-10-2010, 9:55 AM
Mobile base....sore subject with me. :( I started getting sick Friday at work. Suffered through working Sat am went home, did the little bit of paint I wanted to do before assembling the base, went to bed and basically didn't get up until Mon am. Good ole sinus problems. I will get it together this weekend and get some pictures. The mounts for the casters won't be painted, but then they won't be on the base all the time anyway.

Rob, thanks for the reminder...I haven't gone on line to register mine yet. That's why I didn't remember seeing a place to sign up for that! I'll look into it.

Milind, maybe the Texans will play the Cowboys here this next year and you could come up to watch the game and scoot over to see the saw. :D:D It's not too far fetched. 2 guys I work with have season tickets to the Texans and don't miss a game!! Jim.

Milind Patil
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Really sorry to hear about your sinus ! But I feel brotherly as I suffer from the exact problem time-to-time (espacially during season changes, I get attacked by both sinus and allergy. I virtually live on Claritin during those days !!!)

Anyway, I do want you to clarify one thing about the cart. Will the saw be resting on casters all the time ? Or will the casters come into play only during the movement and then can be retracted completely ? because I am not sure if it is good idea to have 600+ lb weight on casters all the time (for stability).

Jim O'Dell
03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
No, the base will rest on 6 adjuistable feet. The casters will bolt on for moving and store when not needed. I have only moved my contractor saw 3 times in 5 years. The latest getting ready for the 691 to arrive. I just need to be able to clear the shop enough to get my van in if a bad hail storm is coming. Too tall to fit in regular garage. When I rehabbed this detached building for my shop to be, I took out the garage door and made swing out doors tall enough that the van would fit.
I think the casters i have would be ok though, they're rated at 500 lbs each. ;) Jim.

Milind Patil
03-10-2010, 6:20 PM
OK, so let me get this straight (I am going back to your previous thread you started and re-examining the pictures). The casters will be fixed and will NOT retract or move in any way. The six bases are screw type that will move vertically up and down with screw motion. I have following concerns, please provide your comments.

1) What you call 6 adjustable feet, are pretty much 6 points touching the ground (as opposed to the entire edge touching the ground) That is too much pressure on each point (probably 170 lb each including weight of the cart). Will that affect stability ?

2) Also I see you have 4 casters. Your saw has length so the distance between 2 casters on left and 2 casters on the right is too much. will the cart frame bear that without sagging ? The casters are strong, but what about the wooden frame ? Do you think it will take the pressure at the center ? I would probably go with additional two casters in the middle.

Jim O'Dell
03-10-2010, 9:55 PM
Again, the casters will only be on when the saw needs to be moved. The base is made out of 4 X 4 Douglas Fir. I would rather have been able to use square steel tubing but not an option right now. But I think the wood will hold up. The length is about 79". The leveling pads are also rated at 500 lbs each, and the foot print for each pad is about 3 1/8" diameter, and using 1/2" steel thread for the mount. If it turns out to not be stout enough, then I'll shore it up with some angle iron on the inside edges. But I don't think that will be necessary. Time will tell. Not a good way to mount 2 more casters in the middle. And since they will be taken off and stored except when moving, I don't see the need.
I'll shoot some pictures this weekend. I promise, it will be together and the saw on it!!! Jim.

Milind Patil
03-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Sounds great. Can't wait to see results. But I would highly recommend using on-line sag calculator to estimate any sag. It's called sagulator. You may already know this, if not then here is the link http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm It is actually meant for calculating sag in the shelves, but can be use any structure supported at two ends and bearing weight.

Jim O'Dell
03-11-2010, 9:22 AM
Milind, thanks for the calculator. I need to store that link in the computer at home. I came out with .01 sag/ft. Less than the target amount it shows. That is if my guesstimates are accurate. :rolleyes: Jim.