PDA

View Full Version : More wood! Again! Can someone recommend a support group?

John Keeton
03-09-2010, 5:54 PM
Yesterday, I received a box of wood from Baxter Smith as a part of a wood exchange we are working on. Thanks Baxter!!

Included was some White Birch that is spalting as I am typing, some apple, plum, Yellow Birch, sugar maple, and ash. Baxter also included a couple of hand hewn oak pegs from a barn addition from the 1890's on property where his Dad grew up! He also accompanied the wood with a great letter giving the location and history of all the wood.

I hope to send him some nice wood, but unfortunately, my story will be "it came from the guy down the road!" No warm and fuzzies to go with my wood!:o

Then, today, I got another couple of large boxes from Mike Smith.

There were 3 Big Leaf maple burls, a large 12" box elder blank, a smaller box elder, a couple of spalted holly, and an old growth redwood blank!! All of them dry!

I need help!:eek: Space is non-existent, my barn is getting full, and I can't get this stuff turned quick enough! I can't pass up buying more wood - I think this is getting out of control!! Even today, I am communicating with a guy on some mesquite. Does this ever end? Will I ever have enough wood?

To make it worse, I spent the weekend cutting up green wood, and rounded out about 20 blanks. I won't rough them out as I just don't want to end up with 20 pieces of wood that all look the same. As I get to them, I will figure out a plan for each of them. In the meantime, they are sealed and hopefully will remain relatively intact.

HELP!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2010, 5:59 PM
What no Claro Walnut????

Congrats on some good looking wood John. Can't wait to see the maple burl turned and finished. No John the hole has no bottom.:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Curt Fuller
03-09-2010, 6:38 PM
What no Claro Walnut????

Congrats on some good looking wood John. Can't wait to see the maple burl turned and finished. No John the hole has no bottom.:eek::rolleyes::cool:
:D:D:D
That's cool that you have the history on the woods. That always means a lot to me too.

Donny Lawson
03-09-2010, 7:11 PM
I came home with some big walnut logs today. I found them where they were fixing to become mulch. I just cannot pass up walnut or any other wood for that matter.They were about 5ft long and as straight as an arrow.
Donny

Bob Haverstock
03-09-2010, 7:22 PM
John,

You may have to give the law shop. I don't think you have time for both! There may be a cure for this wood lust. The problem is "WE DON'T WANT TO BE CURED!" Fess up John, you don't want any durned cure either.

I don't want to hear about leaving your beautiful home and joining up with an underground colony. Remember that your queen lives above the ground.

John, one last thought, "Beware of the 8 leggers,they'll take your wood!"

Bob Haverstock

Greg Just
03-09-2010, 8:17 PM
Wood is like clamps - you can never have too much! :eek:

James Combs
03-09-2010, 8:41 PM
John, I'm just across the county line from ya. I got plenty of space.:D

charlie knighton
03-09-2010, 8:48 PM
John, you are probably driving to church and see wood that could be blanks now, there is no cure, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

David E Keller
03-09-2010, 9:00 PM
One of the greatest problems for flat workers coming into the vortex is the exponential increase in the variety of wood available for turning. You're in a fairly safe place now with the size of the items that you've turned.

BEWARE... If you start turning pens, jewelry, and miniatures, there are literally hundreds of species that are only available/affordable in small sizes. I've got over 100 species of pen blanks, and I find myself ordering more all the time.

By the way, nice looking bit of wood you got there!

Roland Martin
03-09-2010, 9:04 PM
Life just isn't fair. Nobody should have to be stuck with so much wood, always in the way, under feet, etc. You're strong John, I'm confident you will get through this. Just in case you find that there just simply is way too much and feel that you'll break, PM me quickly, I feel I could help in your time of need.

Kevin J Lalonde
03-09-2010, 9:18 PM
THE CURE? BACK TO FLATWORK! Looking forward to seeing the next crop Mr. Keeton!!

Gary Conklin
03-09-2010, 9:30 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Oa986ky-EJIYaM:http://cache1.bigcartel.com/theme_images/195101/goodwood-logo.jpg (http://cache1.bigcartel.com/theme_images/195101/goodwood-logo.jpg)

Brian Brown
03-09-2010, 9:39 PM
John,

there is no help. There is no cure. My garage is looking like a lumber yard. Just get turning. Who needs sleep anyway.

lawrence michael smith
03-09-2010, 9:45 PM
Would someone please help John with his storage problem as there is no cure for his affliction, as we all know. As he has been getting some of his wood from me, please don't offer him a cure---just storage.

David E Keller
03-09-2010, 9:49 PM
Would someone please help John with his storage problem as there is no cure for his affliction, as we all know. As he has been getting some of his wood from me, please don't offer him a cure---just storage.

Look at this, John. One of your wood pushers has ventured onto the site to make sure that you are taking care of the wood he sends you!:eek::D

This is like a guy that owns a liquor store showing up at an AA meeting!

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2010, 9:52 PM
Yup - gonna need a bigger lathe real soon!

Congrats on all the wood! Have fun with it!

Ray Bell
03-09-2010, 9:55 PM
Look at this, John. One of your wood pushers has ventured onto the site to make sure that you are taking care of the wood he sends you!:eek::D

That's funny

Brian Effinger
03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
The first step is admitting you have a problem. :p :D

Congrats on the wood. Definitely a score!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Hello! ......John......are you down there?.......

Hello????????????

snicker.....snicker......

gary Zimmel
03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Stick a fork in him...... Johns done......

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2010, 5:59 AM
John, Maybe I should send all the stuff I have been burning up in the woodstove! Some of it is pretty nice, just small! There is 50 logs to saw up on the Woodmizer ranging from Red Oak, Hackberry, Elm, Butternut, Black Walnut, Red and white pine, Cottonwood and many others! I think there will be some dandy stuff in the 36" across hackberry tree and the 33" butternut log! Bring the truck and take a road trip up here, then you will need to build a wood storage building!

This addiction is a good one!

Jeff

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 6:33 AM
As he has been getting some of his wood from me, please don't offer him a cure---just storage.

Bring the truck and take a road trip up here, then you will need to build a wood storage building!Jeff

I think I need a restraining order - against ME = to keep me away from Mike and Jeff!!:D;) See how they do me? They know I am weak, but they offer no help = just more wood!

I should add that I have received some really great wood from both of these guys and they are fantastic to work with.

I think Bernie is going to have a visit with Mike this spring - let's see if Bernie does any better resisting the temptation!!:D

Darin Kauffman
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM

:D

I thought the same thing.

Nice haul Mr. Keeton.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2010, 9:31 PM
I think Bernie is going to have a visit with Mike this spring - let's see if Bernie does any better resisting the temptation!!:D

Yes I am John. I am going to see him on our trip east and I told Mike not to sell John any more Claro till I got there or stash some for me but don't tell John.:rolleyes::cool:;) Oh and John I just ordered $150 (including shipping) worth of pecan in 8 X 8 X 10 size. The original is 8 X 8 X 42. So he is cutting it down to 4 pieces.

John Keeton
03-10-2010, 9:35 PM
Bernie, you will be well pleased with what you get from Mike. I have a piece of the spalted holly in the lathe right now, and IMO it is a really nice looking piece of wood. Of course, I'm not through with it yet, so I am trying my best not to destroy its potential!!:eek:

Michael Dromey
03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with all. There is no cure for the wood addiction. I am also always on the lookout for cheap or free lumber.

Baxter Smith
03-11-2010, 7:47 AM
Yesterday, I received a box of wood from Baxter Smith as a part of a wood exchange we are working on. Thanks Baxter!!

To make it worse, I spent the weekend cutting up green wood, and rounded out about 20 blanks. I won't rough them out as I just don't want to end up with 20 pieces of wood that all look the same. As I get to them, I will figure out a plan for each of them. In the meantime, they are sealed and hopefully will remain relatively intact.

HELP!!!!

Your Welcome John! John was nice enough to send me quite a few pictures of wood to choose from in our exchange. Took me a little while to figure out what I might like to do with a couple given the number of choices!

Glad to help you free up some storage space. Don't fill it up too soon!;):D

MIKE E BEE
03-11-2010, 8:01 AM
Well John I cant help you with your problem but I can diagnose it for you.

You are clearly suffering from an acute case of "MAXIMUM-WOODICUS-OVERSTOCKICUS"!!!

I checked web MD there is no known cure. Only way to curb some of the symptoms would be to "GET TURNING".

Nice Grab!!!