PDA

View Full Version : Mirka vs Norton

Joe Shinall
03-09-2010, 4:53 PM
I asked for some opinions on sandpaper a few weeks ago. Been looking into it some more and want to know some opinions on Mirka sanding discs for ROS. I see they also have the "dustless" discs as well. Any better than Norton discs?

Richard Dragin
03-09-2010, 5:55 PM
I have heard good things and I doubt they could be worse than Norton. if you are not already looking at the 2sand website they have a great selection. I am partial to the Rhynogrip discs but I would like to try the Abranet (Mirka) dustless system.

Tim Johnson
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been using Mirka Gold disks for about two years and am very pleased with the results. I use them on several different ROS sanders with a vacuum attachment and they do a great job and hold up well too. I happily buy more as needed.

Mike Henderson
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I use Mirka, also, and have been satisfied. Doesn't mean I won't try other brands that are reported as good, but for now, I'm satisfied.

Mike

Brian Kent
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Mirkas do real well, hold up OK.

What is a dustless system?

Kent A Bathurst
03-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I like the Mirka as well. No reason you couldn't try out a pack of each and see how they work for you.

The "dustless" - I thought that was the Festool version? :p

Van Huskey
03-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Mirkas do real well, hold up OK.

What is a dustless system?

http://www.mirka.com/abranet

Rob Cunningham
03-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I used to use Mirka disks and was happy with the quality. I now use 3M 255L disks. They seem to last longer and hold up better since they are film backed

Brad Wood
03-10-2010, 2:20 PM
I've got Mirka and Norton in the shop right now. Mirka seems to perform better... i.e. lasts longer, etc.

Mike Zilis
03-10-2010, 4:19 PM
All of my random orbit sanding is with Mirka discs. I really like the Abranet "dustless" or mesh discs. I couldn't ask for better performance. For the most aggressive grits I use the Mirka Gold discs. I found excellent prices at supergrit dot com for the Abranet and decent prices at Amazon for the Gold.

-Mike