PDA

View Full Version : Man gets 1.5 million in table saw case

Kent Parker
03-09-2010, 2:56 PM
This just in. Read about it in the Boston Globe.

"A Boston jury has awarded $1.5 million to a Malden man who injured his fingers on a saw while installing oak wood flooring several years ago in a first of its kind case that claimed the standard design of American table saws is defective." (ie: no flesh detection technology!)

Link is here: http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/03/06/man_wins_15m_in_first_of_its_kind_saw_case/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed5

If the link disappears, you can find info at the "Wood Whisper" web site.

Rather amazing. Takes spilling hot coffee to a different level.

Cheers,

Kent

Harry Hagan
03-09-2010, 3:10 PM
1. I’d rather have my fingers.

2. It remains to be seen how much, if any; Mr. Osorio will actually receive.

3. The lawyers will benefit the most unless “flesh detection technology” or similar improvements are required on all table saws.

Sean Troy
03-09-2010, 3:15 PM
If mandated, I bet the costs of TS's would greatly increase. I'm glad I've got a fairly new TS. I don't think I'll ever need to buy again.

Randal Stevenson
03-09-2010, 3:21 PM
In case you haven't notice, two other threads involving this subject have been locked and moved. I think this brings up too much problems and this thread will be locked. Can we move along please.

Chris Padilla
03-09-2010, 3:24 PM
I know not everyone checks all forums all the time so this topic is bound to show up here and there for the next few days.

These threads turn into a mess with politics at the heart so we mods are just shutting them down as they pop up.

Thanks