PDA

View Full Version : Car Maint. Question

Michael O'Sullivan
03-09-2010, 2:39 PM
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, and the left rear turn signal light has gone out. I cannot figure out how to access the bulb to change it, and the manual is no help.

Access from the trunk seems impossible. Does the plastic cover just pop off? I'd like to know before I start prying :)

Jim O'Dell
03-09-2010, 3:00 PM
No, don't pry anything. There will be a plastic or carpeted piece at the back of the trunk. There will be either some threaded keepers, or press in keepers holding it on. Take that off, then there will be 3 or 4 nuts that hold the tail light lens assembly to the outside of the body. Most lens assembly have threaded studs that protrude into the trunk cavity. Once the nuts are off, then you can pull the assembly off from the outside to get to the bulbs.
It seems crazy that lights are like this now, but it is done to keep exhaust fumes and water from getting into the vehicle. Jim.

Michael O'Sullivan
03-09-2010, 8:01 PM
No, don't pry anything. There will be a plastic or carpeted piece at the back of the trunk. There will be either some threaded keepers, or press in keepers holding it on. Take that off, then there will be 3 or 4 nuts that hold the tail light lens assembly to the outside of the body. Most lens assembly have threaded studs that protrude into the trunk cavity. Once the nuts are off, then you can pull the assembly off from the outside to get to the bulbs.
It seems crazy that lights are like this now, but it is done to keep exhaust fumes and water from getting into the vehicle. Jim.

Jim -- thanks so much for the help. The nuts actually are in the trunk compartment but double as hooks for the cargo net, and I didn't realize they served a dual purpose.

It is amusing regarding the "waterproofing" qualities of this set-up. The casing was full of water -- perhaps that had something to do with the light burning out. I'll get a new bulb and make sure there are no electrical issues. Then, I'll try to figure our how to keep the water out.

Russ Buddle
03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
You may need to drill a small hole in the lowest point of the light housing. water will drain out, but none should find its way in through that hole.