PDA

View Full Version : Epilog rotary options

Martin Boekers
03-09-2010, 1:33 PM
I got a new Epilog pricing sheet today. It had 2 different rotary devices in addition to the standard one.

Also there were what appeared to be options, Clamp Cup Set, Clamp Cone Set.

I thought Epilog only had one style?

Anyone familiar with these? (the 2 new ones had a list price of $2,495:eek:)

Marty

Steve Clarkson
03-09-2010, 1:59 PM
Marty.

Sorry.....not familiar with the new ones......but you can have mine for free.....although it's a little damaged from when I was trying to fine tune it with my sledge hammer last week.......

Dave Johnson29
03-09-2010, 2:22 PM
but you can have mine for free.....although it's a little damaged from when I was trying to fine tune it with my sledge hammer last week.

Steve,

Just tried to PM you but you seem to not have a PM option. If you really wanted it to go to a good home, (damaged or not) I began developing a better mouse trap but it has been sidelined and stalled for some time.

James loaned me his to get some basic measurements but I need the epilog stepper to begin testing this one. Epilog use some strange wiring convention for their stepper.

PM or email me if you like.

Martin Boekers
03-09-2010, 2:28 PM
Marty.

Sorry.....not familiar with the new ones......but you can have mine for free.....although it's a little damaged from when I was trying to fine tune it with my sledge hammer last week.......

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Somethings maybe better served
as a stress reliever:D

Marty

Peck Sidara
03-09-2010, 3:10 PM
Marty,

Epilog offers a total of four different rotary options.

The standard (which is most common) is for our C02 line and will also work on the FiberMark.

We've also recently released the Zing24 rotary (very similar to standard above) but only works on the Zing24

The ones you're referencing to are the 3-jaw chuck & clamp style rotaries. These are specific to the FiberMark line of laser systems. Ideal use is for dead on accuracy, positioning & repeatability.

The clamp/cone sets are specific/optional to the clamp style rotary.

Feel free to PM for more details.

HTH,

Mike Christen
03-09-2010, 3:52 PM
Hi Steve

Surprised you have had so many problems with your rotary. I use mine quite a bit and never had a problem, its the basic standard rotary they have had forever I think. Currently have it semi / permanently installed on my summit and it has never let me down.

Steve Clarkson
03-10-2010, 9:44 AM
Steve,

Just tried to PM you but you seem to not have a PM option. If you really wanted it to go to a good home, (damaged or not) I began developing a better mouse trap but it has been sidelined and stalled for some time.

James loaned me his to get some basic measurements but I need the epilog stepper to begin testing this one. Epilog use some strange wiring convention for their stepper.

PM or email me if you like.

Dave,

I was just kidding about the sledge hammer thing....it's just that after about 50 glasses, I think only 2 or 3 came out as they were intended. I'm sure it's operator error rather than a problem with the rotary itself. I love my Epilog, but no matter what I try, I just can't seem to get that rotary to work the way I want it to.

David Fairfield
03-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Steve,

If you have trouble getting a good engraving on a completely cylindrical, heavy object, such as a wine bottle or a rolling pin, then it might be operator error.

If you have trouble on small, light, and/or tapered objects, or glassware that is ever-so-slightly out of round, its wobble and play. The Epilog design doesn't seem to factor those real world considerations, though its a fantastic design in theory. The little wheely clamp thing that comes with the rotary doesn't help at all, only makes it worse. You need to redneck engineer some stuff to fix the problems.

What's this about a 3 jaw chuck rotary? If Epilog has one of those now, then our prayers have been answerered. We were discussing this as a solution on the Creek a while back. Heading over to the Epilog site to check it out!

Dave

Chuck Stone
03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been using mine a lot lately, but it took some jury rigging to make it
do what I wanted. The instructions say the smallest diameter than can be
lasered is something like 3" or 3.5". I'm doing .5" and had to make some
adjustments to get it to work.
Since I'm lasering 360 degrees, the hardest part is making the beginning
and the end of the file match up exactly. Otherwise you get a band of
un-lasered material, or you get a band of double burned material.
Mine isn't an Epilog, though. GCC Mercury.

Rodne Gold
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
GCC rotary is easy to convert to a lathe type arrangment - just replace the cone and the pad.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2010, 2:17 PM
Chuck,

What kind of material is that where it could be lasered (or did you omit a step in your explanation)?

Chuck Stone
03-11-2010, 2:41 PM
Chuck,

What kind of material is that where it could be lasered (or did you omit a step in your explanation)?

Ah .. sorry. It's maple. They're wood pen blanks.
The GCC rotary attachment is essentially a lathe, as Rodney said. It just
takes some adapting to make it work for what I wanted to do. But it seems
to me that the other style rotary attachment that I've seen (bed and four
wheels) could be adapted to do something similar, provided the motor that
controls them is accurate.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2010, 4:50 PM
Ah, I see it now... it looked like the entire piece was metal, but I now see it's just ferrules on the ends.

Chuck Stone
03-11-2010, 5:42 PM
Ah, I see it now... it looked like the entire piece was metal, but I now see it's just ferrules on the ends.

Ah.. those are bushings to hold it in the lathe. The wood is lasered, brushed
with Rub-N-Buff (silver) to color the highlights and then I put it on the
lathe so I can cover the whole thing with Super Glue. Makes a nice acrylic
finish, plus it fills in all those cuts

Anthony Scira
03-11-2010, 8:53 PM
"These are specific to the FiberMark line of laser systems. Ideal use is for dead on accuracy, positioning & repeatability."

Yep us Co2 laser guys have none of those needs.......:(

Bill Cunningham
03-11-2010, 9:34 PM
Marty.

Steve, the correct term is "Adjusting to a fine thou, with your precision Knockometer":D