PDA

View Full Version : Minor gloat

John Miliunas
11-03-2004, 10:52 PM
LOML talked me into going to a kitchen cabinet maker "rummage" sale this last weekend. Scored a bunch of pretty fancy door pulls for less than a buck a piece. Also, scored the pictured drying rack. Don't even know what they go for new, but it's in excellent shape and for $20.00, I think it was worth it. :) I've done some searching around, but can't find info on new ones. Anybody have one of these, which they might have purchased new? Just curious as to what it may actually be worth. :cool:

Dale Thompson
11-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Hey Spring,
Do you REALLY need a "rack" for drying your newly printed $100 bills? Just make sure that you keep it in the basement. I'm calling the feds. ;)

I picked up one of those at the landfill last week to use for firewood. I got a $400 fine from the WDNR for "putting toxic dioxins into the environment". MOST of it didn't even BURN!! :o :mad: :confused:

Moral of the story: Let your daughter do your shopping. Anyway, she needs a break from her house remodeling project! :D :) :)

Dale T.

Mark Singer
11-03-2004, 11:41 PM
John,

I believe that is a drying rack...you can alsouse it for bread as each loaf comes out of the oven...or dry your socks....you would not begin to believe the finds (I had another word in mind here) LOML comes home with. Try E bay they have every thing for sale. If you are making multiple widgets you can carefully put one on each rack and when your done ...if you don't know what to do with them....well...let your wife take them to the rummage sale where she found the rack:(

Tony Falotico
11-04-2004, 6:37 AM
If Vinyl LP Records ever come back in style you'll have the perfect storage / display rack.

John Miliunas
11-04-2004, 7:51 AM
If Vinyl LP Records ever come back in style you'll have the perfect storage / display rack.

Huh? They went OUT of style? :eek: I'm confused... :confused: What's everybody else using to listen to music with? If there's something else, please let me know...I'm up to a 1/2 dollar piece on the end of my tonearm to keep it from skipping! BTW, what do the rest of you guys do in the shop to keep all that dust off your records? I'm thinking I should move it further away from my sanding station. :) :cool:

John Bush
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi John,
I have a vision of your new rack full of steaming Krispy Kreams while you sit back in your $1.00 garage sale folding lawn chair listening to Credence on your $3.00 garage sale 8-track.. Good listening, John

Mark Singer
11-04-2004, 10:05 AM
John,

Great for drying socks and underwear....they could have used it in "Planes Trains and automobiles" I can picture a pair of John Candy's BVD's hanging there now

Jerry Olexa
11-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Mark wasn't that a GREAT movie? One of my favorite scenes was Steve Martin "freshening up" in the AM in the sink w J.Candy's BVDs. Another was the scene @ the rental car w the jovial woman and John Candy's immortal words after the accident: "It'll buff right out". And yet the ending was seriously sad and good!!

John Miliunas
11-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Man, talk about a thread "...taking on a life of its own.."! :D You guys are just too much. :) OK, I'll quit posting "gloats"! Well, unless I'm looking for a movie review, that is! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
11-05-2004, 4:43 PM
Sorry John Couldn't resist the humor there. The rack does look interesting. Maybe a sandpaper storage unit , or drying rack, etc. PS the pack is back. Hail Bret!! There I go again...digressing,

John Miliunas
11-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Sorry John Couldn't resist the humor there. The rack does look interesting. Maybe a sandpaper storage unit , or drying rack, etc. PS the pack is back. Hail Bret!! There I go again...digressing,

No need to apologize, Jerry! :) Fact is, the unit really and truly IS a drying rack, specifically for cabinet doors coming out of the spray booth! :D A high end, custom cabinet maker friend of mine (who unfortunately, has since moved to the Land of Huricanes [Florida]) had an identical unit and that's precisely what he used it for, as well. I'll be dipped if I could find a new one anywhere, though. My searches keep coming up with larger racks for art stuff (silkscreening and such). Oh well. I'm sure I'll get my use out of it! :) :cool:

Dan Mages
11-06-2004, 8:42 PM

Records are out of style? Since when? I have picked up around12 new ones this year. My latest score is a 6 disk Metallica box set. There are only 5,000 copies stamped. I cant wait for it to be delivered at the end of the month.

Oh... and a place to keep the record player dust free? What about a barrister book case?

Tom LaRussa
11-06-2004, 9:05 PM
Records are out of style? Since when? I have picked up around12 new ones this year. My latest score is a 6 disk Metallica box set. There are only 5,000 copies stamped. I cant wait for it to be delivered at the end of the month.
Since this thread has been officially hijacked...

My sort-of-cousin is a recording technician who has done work for Metallica and do you think I've ever received so much as an old coaster out of it?

NOT!

OTOH, my best buddy from Grad School is married to the music critic for a major east coast paper. She not only got me back stage at a Garbage show, (Shirley Manson is really a sweetheart in person), but she got me a program personally autographed, i.e., to me, by every member of AC/DC -- except Bon Scott, of course, may he RIP.

Tom LaRussa
11-06-2004, 9:37 PM
LOML talked me into going to a kitchen cabinet maker "rummage" sale this last weekend. Scored a bunch of pretty fancy door pulls for less than a buck a piece. Also, scored the pictured drying rack. Don't even know what they go for new, but it's in excellent shape and for $20.00, I think it was worth it. :) I've done some searching around, but can't find info on new ones. Anybody have one of these, which they might have purchased new? Just curious as to what it may actually be worth. :cool:
Cool find, John.

Next time I need to spray finish 50 cabinet doors at once, I know who I'll call! :p :D

But seriously, Rockler has one in a totally different configuration, which only allows drying 12 doors at once, and which sells for $489.99.:eek: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&cookietest=1&&offerings_id=11113

Here's the supplier's website: http://www.pivot-pro.com/383765.html

Some guy named Steve Clardy built his own -- http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=jigs&file=articles_304.shtml

Some guy named Todd Burch built his own as well. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4103&highlight=drying+rack

These guys have some really elaborate units -- really expensive too. http://www.saturnrack.com/

Here is another industrial supplier -- looks like they are for use in fancy-schmancy printing though: http://www.valleylitho.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.valleylitho.com/acatalog/Valley_Litho_Supply_Heavy_Duty_Industrial_Models_5 21.html&CatalogBody

HTH,

:)

Tom

John Miliunas
11-06-2004, 9:53 PM
Hey Tom, yeah. I found those before, but nothing which really represents the one I got. The Rockler one is really pretty cool, albeit just about five bills out of my sight! :( Maybe when I become rich and famous. :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
11-07-2004, 2:41 PM
That ain't a small gloat John. That's a super haul there.:eek:
Off hand that cost new probably $350.00 I'd say.

Tom. Yea, I built mine. I totally forgot about that article.:o

Steve:)

John Miliunas
11-07-2004, 10:03 PM
That ain't a small gloat John. That's a super haul there.:eek:
Off hand that cost new probably $350.00 I'd say.
Steve:)

"Nice rack John!!!" Can't say I've ever had anybody tell me that! :eek: I know I'm a bit on the heavy side, but sheeeeesh! :D :)

Thanks Steve. I kinda' figured it wasn't an 'el cheapo and I certainly couldn't build anything close to it for 20 bucks! :) :cool:

Steve Clardy
11-07-2004, 10:12 PM
"Nice rack John!!!" Can't say I've ever had anybody tell me that! :eek: I know I'm a bit on the heavy side, but sheeeeesh! :D :)

Thanks Steve. I kinda' figured it wasn't an 'el cheapo and I certainly couldn't build anything close to it for 20 bucks! :) :cool:
:D:D:D Thought you might pick that one up John.:eek: Lol

Send it my way. I'll use it. Your Rack you bought that is.:eek: