PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy

John Powers
03-09-2010, 8:46 AM
I see Jamestown Dist has System three six10 thickened epoxy on sale. Two part stuff in a caulking tube. I have not used it but I have used thickened epoxy in a sandwich bag with corner clipped off to build up fillets in stitch and glue and it can be a real mess. Might be worth a test drive for anyone in the S&G mode.

Nate Carey
03-09-2010, 3:58 PM
John, Jim Watson introduced me to the product at last years' WoodenBoat Show; I've been using it since. If thickened epoxy is the appropriate product for the application at hand, you won't be disappointed.

glenn witgen
03-10-2010, 2:51 PM
I have used the empty caulking tubes from west system with good success. Does the system three have a color to it ? I have always used the west system tube because I try to match my wood color.

A couple of pictures of my current kayak. Hoping to have finished in three weeks.

Life is limit less but time is limited.

glenn witgen
03-10-2010, 3:05 PM
Pictures didnt go.
One more try.

John Powers
03-11-2010, 7:38 AM
Beautiful. How many hours did you take on that? Whats it weigh. You do great work.

Nate Carey
03-11-2010, 8:45 AM
Correct brand name is West System Six10...it is not a System Three product.

John Powers
03-11-2010, 6:33 PM
OOps. Got my systems mixed up.

glenn witgen
03-11-2010, 6:47 PM
John I have know idea how many hours. I started on the deck around the end of November and finished with the deck just after the first of the year.
The Holidays and a skimboard project set me back two weeks.
The deck went better than expected. I put a lot of thought into the way I filled in all the different wood, to cut down on the double miters joints.
On the weight I am hoping under 40 lbs. I may be dreaming but I have been real carefull on the epoxie usage.