PDA

View Full Version : Wood working "fuel"

Fred Perreault
03-09-2010, 8:12 AM
I was wondering what other woodworkers take to their shops for food, snacks and beverage. I have a safe, dust free cabinet for my several bottles of water, and some salt free cashews and almonds. Occasionally a bag of salted snack chips or crackers appear... and then are gonzo. Once in a while I have lunch in the shop... a salad or sandwich, when the LOML brings me something while looking at the progress of my projects. I do not have a fridge, nor do I do alchohol or drugs in the shop.
I like to think of my shop as a "home away from home", and a therapeutic retreat. Does anybody else snack in their woodshop while contemplating their next move?

Dave Gaul
03-09-2010, 8:17 AM
I usually only have a water bottle (re-useable kind, not store bought!), or a cup of coffee, maybe a soda once in a while. ONCE in a WHILE I might have beer if I'm not spinning any carbide.

If I have been in the shop long enough to get hungry, it's probably time to go inside and make sure none of the four kids have driven SWMBO crazy, or that none of the dogs & cats have killed each other, so I just grab something to eat inside!

Karl Card
03-09-2010, 8:20 AM
no food or drink in the shop for me. but I am only downstairs from the upstairs...ehehelol.. First of all i dont have dust collection in place but it is in progess, secondly when I go into my shop I have so much i need/want to do I dont even think about food.

Mitchell Andrus
03-09-2010, 8:47 AM
Mountain Dew.

G. Brad Schmidt
03-09-2010, 8:58 AM
My go to shop snack is binary...
A well rested Black Pearl Gran Robusto with a cold (no ice) Stewart's Root Beer chaser. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-005.gif

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif

Scott T Smith
03-09-2010, 9:03 AM
I live on a farm and my shop is located about 500' away from the house; so I included a lot of the amenities when I built it. Fridge / Freezer, microwave, drinking fountain, etc.

I keep an ice tea maker over there for me, and soft drinks in the fridge for guests. There is a BBQ grill parked right outside the door, and most weeks I grill something during the day or evening. We stock up on chicken, etc when it's on sale and so there is usually enough in the freezer if a guest shows up at meal time. The wood scraps fire the grill.

Brice Burrell
03-09-2010, 9:08 AM
I keep an ice tea maker over there for me, and soft drinks in the fridge for guests. There is a BBQ grill parked right outside the door, and most weeks I grill something during the day or evening. We stock up on chicken, etc when it's on sale and so there is usually enough in the freezer if a guest shows up at meal time. The wood scraps fire the grill.

Okay, ice tea and some chicken on the grill sound good, I'm on my way over to your house. :D

Hugh Jardon
03-09-2010, 9:29 AM
Mine's a basement shop, so no biggie to get fed & watered whenever.

However, I do enjoy a casual half hour cleaning up, tidying up, plotting my next move etc, with a cold beer of an evening. Nice clean shop at the end of it, and some pride of ownership :)

Rod Sheridan
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I also have a basement shop, so it's rare that I'll have any food or drink in the shop.

Occasionally I'll have a mug of Earl Grey tea while working on drawings, however that's it.

I never have alcohol in the shop, however I once worked in a factory that made conveyors and other material handling equipment as a summer job while I was at college.

The shop would shut down every Friday afternoon at 2:00PM, and we would all sit in the meeting room and review the past week.

The owner always provided a cold beer for anyone who wanted one, and one only. It's the only time I've ever associated alcohol with a shop, and it was a nice end to what could have been a very hot week.

Regards, Rod.

Gene Howe
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Coffee or iced tea. No food. Shop connected to house.

tyler mckee
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I've got a 5 gallon keg of some home made moonshine in a mini fridge.

Not really moon shine, its apfelwein i made. 5 gallons apple juice, some sugar, little yeast, and about a month to brew.

David Prince
03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Normally only bottled water. I figure when I get hungry it is time to leave and take a break.

One time I didn't have anything to drink on hand. I had my plumbing shut off because I was replumbing at the time. I didn't have a water source and I was extremely thirsty. Well....my dehumidifier wasn't too old and dirty and it was extracting water from the air, so I thought...:rolleyes: How bad could it be??? I poured a glass of water and took a drink! :eek: I don't plan on doing that again. Now, I always keep bottled water on hand and the plumbing is hooked up for fresh water. Kinda tasted like dirty cardboard or what I think dirty cardboard would taste like!

Rob Holcomb
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
One time I didn't have anything to drink on hand. I had my plumbing shut off because I was replumbing at the time. I didn't have a water source and I was extremely thirsty. Well....my dehumidifier wasn't too old and dirty and it was extracting water from the air, so I thought...:rolleyes: How bad could it be??? I poured a glass of water and took a drink! :eek: I don't plan on doing that again. Now, I always keep bottled water on hand and the plumbing is hooked up for fresh water. Kinda tasted like dirty cardboard or what I think dirty cardboard would taste like!

WOW! I thought only people who were in a desert for days in heat over 120 degrees would resort to something like that. You are officially the only person I have ever heard of that drank dehumidifier water. Wasn't a trip to the food mart or the nearest soda/water machine an option? You're lucky you didn't ingest some sort of bacteria that caused real problems!

Will Boulware
03-10-2010, 6:35 PM
I've got a 5 gallon keg of some home made moonshine in a mini fridge.

Haha! I read that and thought "Wow. A quart of the good stuff usually lasts me a while. We must have a regular Paul Bunyan here if he keeps 5 GALLONS on hand!"

My shop is in my attched garage and I've been known to eat dinner there when I'm on my own for an evening, but I don't keep munchie food there. My second fridge is there, but it usually only has a few boxes of Stroh's and a freezer full of deer meat. Got a coffee pot thought!

Jim Mattheiss
03-10-2010, 7:01 PM
I'm a Pepsi drinker. I drink from the 24 oz bottles, and there is usually one around me most of the time. Just blow the sawdust off and open it up and drink.

Ages ago I worked in a refrigerated warehouse delivering fruits and vegetables. We would hand stack the cases in the warehouse as we unloaded the Market trucks. The warehouse was very small so we would restack the place almost daily. There were usually one or two soda bottles salted away around the warehouse. I would find one and continue drinking it. They remained cold and didn't get too old.

I busted up my wrist after 18 months , went back to college and never looked back. I WAS in the best shape of my life, moving 80# bags/boxes of produce almost continuously.

Jim

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 7:10 PM
The shop is about 40 feet from the house so it's pretty much bottled water or a stainless steel mug full of tea.

Chris Kennedy
03-10-2010, 7:51 PM
I don't have food in my shop -- if I am hungry, I'm going to the house. Beverages on the other hand . . . .

Coffee in the shop in the early morning was one of my favorites. Recently had to give up coffee, which sucks. In the warmer weather, I'll take seltzer out to the shop. In the later afternoon, I'll even take a beer.

Cheers,

Chris

Jerome Hanby
03-11-2010, 9:00 AM
I don't take it to the shop. I find I need the occasional break, usually about the time I realize I don't know what I'm doing and need some thinking time.

I usually drink ice tea that i make in a three quart Mr Coffee tea maker from 2 quart size Luzianne tea bags and one cup size Twinings Earl Grey tea bag. Tasty and no sugar required. I use Twinings instead of Bigelow because the latter leaves an oily sheen on the surface. Not sure why the Twinings doesn't since they both contain oil of bergamot.

And that concludes the more than any human being would ever want to know about ice tea segment for Today.

Dave Johnson29
03-11-2010, 2:06 PM
I live on a farm and my shop is located about 500' away from the house

Ahhhh, country living Scott. :)

Me too and my shop (mostly metalworking) is only about 50 feet away. I have a fridge, freezer, electric kettle, tea and coffee makings, microwave, phone, Internet, network, spare dog food and dog treats.

If I am in the house I usually have lunch in the office in front of the computer (wireless keyboard pushed out of the way) and watch some youtube stuff for entertainment. I don't have TV, by choice! :eek: