PDA

View Full Version : Another Sweet Gum

Mark Cothren
03-09-2010, 7:03 AM
Hard to follow up Keith's piece, but mainly showing you this same wood turned in a different orientation. It's pretty remarkable to me how the wood spalts so differently from other woods that I have. It is a bit punky and was very prone to tearout on the end grain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/SweetGumHF02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/SweetGumHF04.jpg

John Keeton
03-09-2010, 7:26 AM
Very dramatic spalting! Mark, you have this form down very well. Thanks for posting, and I have saved this image in my "inspiration" folder!

Did you stabilize the wood with anything to turn it? Looks like you ended up with a great finish.

Jeff Nicol
03-09-2010, 7:36 AM
WOW!! That is an incredible looking turning! I love spalted wood and that has some incredible character. I hope to get some sweet gum soon from my brother in law in Louisiana. I either need to drive down or pay for the shipping. I would like to get all I can so taking the truck south may be the answer. Good excuse for a vacation and to visit the family. They have a 10acre parcel that lost a bunch of trees in Katrina and they are all piled on top of each other like pick up sticks, lot of different species. I just need to convince my bride it is the thing to do!

Again beautiful!

Jeff

Steve Trauthwein
03-09-2010, 7:42 AM
Very dramatic piece Mark! Did it have th spalting when you bought the wood or did you spalt it through some process yourself. I have a lot of sweet gum, but it looks nothing like this.

Regards, Steve

Allen Neighbors
03-09-2010, 7:42 AM
Mark, I really love the form on this turning. Seems like perfection to me. The spalting is really eye-catching. You really nailed it on this one.

Mark Cothren
03-09-2010, 8:46 AM
Did you stabilize the wood with anything to turn it? Looks like you ended up with a great finish.

No, just used sharp gouges and took light cuts.

Did it have th spalting when you bought the wood or did you spalt it through some process yourself.

This was locally harvested. My son-in-law's aunt/uncle had this tree removed from their yard and my son-in-law brought me several pieces. I sealed one end good with Anchorseal and then stood it on end (non-sealed end on ground) and let it sit for about a year (or more). Travis Stinson had spalted some Sweet Gum a long time ago and it ended up very similar to this, so that's what I was hoping for.

Cut your pieces a bit long because you will have to waste a good 4"-6" of the log bottom due to rot and bugs. The pieces I have now are NASTY on the bottom and has stuff growing on all the sides of the wood. I think there is a short window between catching this wood at this stage and it being too far gone.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2010, 9:02 AM
Mark - sure is some beautiful wood! Excellent form and photo!

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Beautiful piece Mark. Love the wood and form.

charlie knighton
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Hard to follow up Keith's piece, but mainly showing you this same wood turned in a different orientation.

I liked the Keith's piece with the spalting vertical, but with it following the top curve of the HF it is equally nice! Great job and thanks for showing a different approach!

Norm Zax
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Great work on a stunning piece of wood. Well done!

Rob Cunningham
03-09-2010, 1:14 PM
Stunning wood Mark. Great form, finish and pictures.

alex carey
03-09-2010, 2:53 PM
holy diver that is some beautiful wood.