PDA

View Full Version : Supernova SN2 Jaws

Paul Singer
03-09-2010, 6:59 AM
Where is the best place to buy jaws price wise and does Woodcraft ever put the jaws on sale? I just got one with the standard 50mm jaws and know I will be wanting the 100mm jaws pretty soon.

Nick Mastropietro
03-09-2010, 7:14 AM
I have been looking also and what I have found is that Woodcraft has the cheapest price so far. I too would be intrested to know of a better price.

Allen Neighbors
03-09-2010, 8:01 AM
I don't know of a better price for Nova Jaws.
Just as a side note, I have used the front (inside) edges of the 50mm jaws for turning small things between centers, when I'm too lazy to install the 25mm jaws.

Alan Trout
03-09-2010, 8:56 AM
George, Rather than get the 100MM set I would consider the Power Grip set. Essentially the same diameter but you get a more versatile set of Jaws. I have a set and use them for large turnings, they are very secure.

Far as sale goes what I generally do is wait for one of the 10%-15% off sales or one of the 10 dollar off sales at woodcraft and then buy my jaws.

Good Luck

Alan

Michael Mills
03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I bought a set of powergrips (100mm) about three weeks ago. Do a search on ebay for "Nova Premier PowerGrip Jaw by Teknatool" , I looked and the seller has six sets left. They are listed in the sellers store, not the normal aution items. They are buy-it-now for $44.90 including shipping. About $70 in the stores if you have to pay shipping and taxes.
Mike

Jeff Wright
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I bought a set of powergrips (100mm) about three weeks ago. Do a search on ebay for "Nova Premier PowerGrip Jaw by Teknatool" , I looked and the seller has six sets left. They are listed in the sellers store, not the normal aution items. They are buy-it-now for $44.90 including shipping. About $70 in the stores if you have to pay shipping and taxes.
Mike

When I do a search on Ebay I find only a powergrip made by Jet. Am I correct in thinking this is NOT the product you were referring to?

Bob Borzelleri
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
While I think it is a generally accurate statement that Woodcraft has among the best prices on SN2 jaws, there is one glaring departure from that notion.

They sell the 25mm bowl jaws for $38, the 50mm bowl jaws for $45, the 35mm or 45mm spigot for $45 and the 35mm bowl jaws for a whopping $60. That's $22 more than other retailers charge for the 35mm bowl jaws.

I have brought this to their attention, but they keep the same outlandish price listed; probably a key entry error

I've bought all my SN2 jaws at WC, but I won't get the 35mm bowl jaws from them.

Paul Singer
03-09-2010, 2:12 PM
I just ordered the PowerGrip jaws from Ebay. I am sure the Jet thing was a missprint because the box picture showed they were from Teknatool. Thanks for the info I think these are a great price and a better choice than the standard 100mm. Now there should be 5 left.

Michael Mills
03-09-2010, 2:25 PM
Yes the ad does say Jet also. And I did some checking before I ordered (at the Teknatool site and Nova Facebook)
Jet is a distributor for Nova Chucks. Wonder why they don't sell Nova lathes? :)
They are in the Teknatool box and I do not remember seeing Jet anywhere on the box.
Mike

Ryan Baker
03-09-2010, 9:24 PM
Actually, I vastly prefer my 100mm jaws to my Powergrip jaws.

The Powergrip jaws are OK, and work really well for certain jobs (like grabbing a really big tenon/spigot, if that rare occasion ever presents itself). They also buy you a bit of extra room, and are useful when you need to "reach" higher up on the base of a form to grab it. But the 100mm jaws are smaller, lighter, cheaper, and grip dovetails better. If you want a really strong grip with the PowerGrip jaws, you need a straight tenon tograb in the serrated jaws and ALSO still need to cut a dovetail for the end of the jaws. If you don't cut the dovetail, you won't get a good grip with the serrated part of the jaws. The 100mm jaws are permanently mounted on one of my chucks, while the PowerGrip jaws only rarely come out of the drawer.

Jim Sebring
03-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Equipment Sales and Surplus (ES&S) is the WMH Tool Group outlet store. It's located about 50 miles from where I sit. WMH is the parent company of Jet and Powermatic.

ES&S has been selling off selected Nova products on ebay for several months now. At one time they apparently shipped Nova (and other brand) products along with Jet lathes as a sales sweetener. A friend bought a Jet 1014 several years ago and got a complete pen turning outfit with it. I got my 10" Nova Cole jaw set from this site for a great price a couple of months ago. The set I received was made in N.Z. Most of the current Teknatool product line seems to have been made in downtown China.

Greg Just
03-10-2010, 6:13 AM
I received an e-mail overnight from Woodcraft that the SN2 is on sale for $119.99.

I'm not associated with Woodcraft in any way.

Bob Borzelleri
03-10-2010, 11:19 AM
While I think it is a generally accurate statement that Woodcraft has among the best prices on SN2 jaws, there is one glaring departure from that notion.

They sell the 25mm bowl jaws for $38, the 50mm bowl jaws for $45, the 35mm or 45mm spigot for $45 and the 35mm bowl jaws for a whopping $60. That's $22 more than other retailers charge for the 35mm bowl jaws.

I have brought this to their attention, but they keep the same outlandish price listed; probably a key entry error

I've bought all my SN2 jaws at WC, but I won't get the 35mm bowl jaws from them.

Well, after a week of trying to bring this pricing error to the attention of someone at Woodcraft.com and getting only "if you can get it cheaper somewhere else, do it" responses, I contacted Tim at Teknatool who confirmed to me that Teknatool's suggested price for the 35mm bowl jaws is $37.99 as opposed to the $59.99 price at Woodcraft.

With that info in hand and being tired of being treated like a scam artist by Woodcraft customer service, I sent off an email to Woodcraft corporate essentially telling them that their handling of my attempt to help them correct a significant pricing error had called into question their commitment to fair and reasonable customer service. I noted that, even though I wasn't interested in that particular jaw set, Woodcraft's refusal to take seriously my attempt to bring this issue to their attention had me seriously wondering if the several thousand dollars that I have spent at Woodcraft over the past decade would be followed by any additional purchases.

This morning I received a reply stating that the price for the 35mm bowl jaws will be adjusted to Teknatool's MSRP.

Paul Singer
03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
While looking at the jaw documentation for the supernova chuck I noticed that the Maximum speed for the different jaws is rather low. For instance the 50mm jaws that come with the chuck are rated at 1020 rpm for the contraction mode and 684 rpm for the expanding mode. I usually will run much fast than that at times. Are they just covering there a$$ or do most people follow these recommendations.