PDA

View Full Version : Morris Chair Finished Pics

Scott Coffelt
11-03-2004, 10:24 PM
I have basically finished the Morris Chair. I still have to apply wax, but it is essentially finished.

I think it looks pretty good. It was finished with Danish Oil, Dark Walnut finish based on a sample of finishes that the client was given to choose from.

The seat is an oak frame with jute webbing weaved and then covered with a layer of batting and a cover. It sure is nice to have the Porter Cable upolstery stapler, it works flawlessly and beats the heck out of the old manual staplers. The seat frame is a little tight, I really needed to shrink by about 1/4, but then again it won't need to come out. I didn't realize how thick the layers would end up.

Anyways, enjoy.

Keith Christopher
11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Scott,

Nice piece ! Excellent work !

Bruce Page
11-03-2004, 10:59 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifBhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gifeautiful Scott! That is some wild tiger!

John Miliunas
11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Nice job, Scott! Man, that QS really stands out nicely, doesn't it? I'm thinking your client should be quite pleased! :cool:

Carl Eyman
11-04-2004, 5:18 AM
A piece to be proud of

Thomas Prondzinski
11-04-2004, 7:16 AM
Scott
Nice looking chair,client will be pleased. Did you use solid stock for the legs or miter cut to get QS on all four sides?

Tom

Donnie Raines
11-04-2004, 8:21 AM
Seriously cool!

Jason Tuinstra
11-04-2004, 8:25 AM
It's always nice to get to this point isn't it? You can simply stand back and take in what you spent a lot of time doing. In your case, you can look at this piece with a great deal of satisfaction. You did a great job on this one. I'm sure someone will get many hours of enjoyment out of this chair.

Pete Harbin
11-04-2004, 8:41 AM
Really nice Scott!

Scott Coffelt
11-04-2004, 8:48 AM
I used mitered posts with splines and all M&T joinery. I spoke with the client last Friday and they are really getting excited. It should be delivered by the weekend. They plan to order cushions, which i think they will go with a southwest fabric over leather.

The Q.S. Oak I found had some serious ray & fleck to it. I also think the danish oil shows more of the difference in grain then some of the other stain options, but it is the color the client picked. I might have opted for a more subtle stain, but then again the flash does add to it.

Thanks for the praises. The best thing is that I get paid soon :D .

Terry Hatfield
11-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Scott,

BEAUTIMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take 2.

t

Scott Coffelt
11-04-2004, 10:40 AM
No problem Terry, just send a nice check for $2000 ($1000 a piece) and we'll be fine. :p

Chris Padilla
11-04-2004, 11:39 AM
$1k??!! Man, you are cheap for fine work like that...I'll give ya $1.5k for one!! :D

Keith Christopher
11-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Who does the cushions for these ? Do you do them in house or sub them out ?

Scott Coffelt
11-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Cushions: I really haven't checked. When discussing the chair with the client, she mentioned that she knew a place where she could order the cushions. So we agreed that I would not source those. Otherwise, I would have found a shop locally to make. This way she can get the exact fabric she wants.

Pricing: That was tough one. Probably could have charged a little more. I will also be getting a rocking chair, foot stool and maybe a hutch out of this, etc., etc., etc. The client walked aroung d and said how about that, and that and that... If things go good, she could keep my side business going for awhile. In the end I feel good about the money I made, maybe a tad more would have been reasonable. I don't know, too little to charge? Input would be welcome. I figure I have about $350 give or take in materials, including some lumber left over (about 5-6 bd feet).

Note: The client is also the one I made the wedding gifts I posted last week.

Tyler Howell
11-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Very Fine Scott.

This new career agrees with you !!!

Ted Shrader
11-04-2004, 12:37 PM
. . . I think it looks pretty good. . . . Scott -

I think you are right! It does look good. Well done. I'm sure they will be very pleased with it.

Regards,
Ted

Scott Coffelt
11-05-2004, 7:47 PM
I delivered the chair today and the client loved it. They officially approved the next two projects for me to build, a matching rocking chair and also the matching foot stool.

The piece looks fabulous in their family room.

The best thing, they gave me the payment in a sealed envelope.... $100 bonus. Awesome.