PDA

View Full Version : 5-Flute Countersink Problem

Mort Stevens
03-09-2010, 2:40 AM
I recently lost my old 5-flute 1/2" Stanley countersink - it must have been 35 years old or more and was at the Home Depot today and bought one made by Wolfcraft (I think that was the brand, I threw out the cardboard package) . Now to the eye it appears identical to the old Stanley, only my attempts to use it result in hexagon shaped countersink holes! I'm using it in a drill press and experimented with a variety of speeds from 200-2500 RPMs and various feed rates, in both soft and hardwoods... I'm able to get one or two round countersinks, but the majority turn out rough shaped. I've also tried it in a handheld drill with even poorer results. What's the secret to success with this new countersink? One thing I did notice is that the flute edges on the new one are significantly sharper than the old Stanley... I'm been thinking of dulling the edges to see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

Joe Scharle
03-09-2010, 8:28 AM
Best countersink I've had in years is from LV. One cutting edge, big thing, about $22.00.

glenn bradley
03-09-2010, 9:25 AM
I have never had any luck with multi-flute countersinks. I use these (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=32308&cat=3,41306,41328). Never had an issue again.

bob hertle
03-09-2010, 2:58 PM
Agree with Glenn, single flute is the only way to go. Having been a metalworker longer than I've been a woodworker, I gravitate toward Weldon in the style Glenn recommended (sometimes called zero flute), also the M. A. Ford single flute, both available from MSC, and other online suppliers of metalworking tooling. I've seen 3 and 5 flute co-sinks chatter in a 6 ft. arm Carlton radial drill.

Bob