PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Compressor and Brad Nailer

Jim Fay
03-09-2010, 1:33 AM
Hi All
I have been looking around for a few months in this forum and find it to be full of amazing information. I have been woodworking for only a few short years but absolutely love it! Well, I have a question I would love some opinions on. I have the okay to buy an air compressor (electric) and a brad nailer for an upcoming cabinet project. From what I have read a 3-4 cfm compressor would work for my occasional use. Are there any favs out there amongst the ranks? I have also read that the oil free units don't last as long as the units you put your own oil into. As far as the Brad Nailer it seems that 18 gauge for this project makes sense as I am assembling uppers and base cabinets in garage (or suggestions otherwise) Are there favorites out there? and or things I should stay away from? I will be doing the occasional furniture assembly (cabinets big & small, tables etc). Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks for any input
Jim

Victor Robinson
03-09-2010, 2:21 AM
I have a 18g finishing nailer, but I have to say I rarely use it in woodworking. Maybe I should use it more often! I can definitely see it saving time in certain instances. Around the house it's a different story - I've put up a TON of trim with it.

Anyways, I really like my Hitachi 18g (NT50AE2). Light, has never jammed, great price ($68 on AMZ currently but can be had for less if you watch it), and takes 3/4" to 2" brads which covers a large range of tasks. Its little brother does 5/8" to 1-1/4", but I think 3/4" to 2" is a more useful range.

I drive it with a 125 PSI 3gal Craftsman (2.4 cfm @ 90 psi - actually fairly puny), but just about any compressor will be fine for a 18g nailer. If all you're planning on running is a 18g nailer, you can even go smaller (and lighter than that) or you'll tire of lugging the compressor all over the house. There's a Bostich unit that is only 20lbs (Trim Air or something like that) that is perfect for a finish nailer. But if you ever plan on using the compressor for other tasks (like texturing drywall or running a vacuum press), then you'll want a larger unit. Also a larger unit would be handy if you ever plan on driving a framing nailer.

If you do plan on getting other nailers, you might look at the combo kits. There are frequently good deals on AMZ or even at the BORGS for compressors with two or three different gauge nailers. You can save some cash that way.

Mike Cutler
03-09-2010, 5:18 AM
Jim

Home Depot and Lowes frequently have sales on the Porter Cable Compressor/ Nailer combo's ( I have the Brad nailer and finish nailer combo). For the DIY'r they're fine for home projects. Just get an extra length or two of hose so that you can leave the compressor outside. It's really loud in the house.;)

Brian Penning
03-09-2010, 6:40 AM
I used to have a Porter Cable pancake combo and it did work fine until the noise started driving me crazy.
Bought a Makita MAC 2400 and it's been great. Neighbour has the lighter MAC 700 and loves his also. Both are some of the quietest on the market.

Kurt Cady
03-09-2010, 7:30 AM
I've been using this since Thanksgiving. Picked it up for $40 I think the day after. Works pretty well. Also got a stapler from HF. Zero complaints with either. No jams yet.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915206000P?keyword=evolv+nailer&sLevel=0

Karl Card
03-09-2010, 8:23 AM
If you plan on using an air compressor for other things and use it often HD has what i consider a good buy on a 60 gallon compressor. 3.2 hp and 10+ cfm at 90. 399 dollars with a 4 year warranty.

I am getting mine hardwired and mounted to the concrete floor today and cant wait to use it.

Craig McCormick
03-09-2010, 9:04 AM
I just bought a tiny single tank Senco compressor from Amazon.com. Ordered it on a Friday and it was on my doorstep on Saturday afternoon. I plugged it in and boy is it QUIET! I have used it with my finish and framer nail guns as well as my drywall hopper gun and it works great. Next to the very low noise level is the weight. I bet it only weighs 25lbs.

AZCRAIG

Kent A Bathurst
03-09-2010, 9:51 AM
Jim

Home Depot and Lowes frequently have sales on the Porter Cable Compressor/ Nailer combo's ( I have the Brad nailer and finish nailer combo). For the DIY'r they're fine for home projects. Just get an extra length or two of hose so that you can leave the compressor outside. It's really loud in the house.;)

+1 - I got a PC combo w/ pancake compressor at the BORG years ago - for baseboard trim project around the entire house. Added the odd nail/pin/staple gun when needed. Still works great - casual use in shop for nailing - also blow-off nozzle. I don't spray any finishes though.

Noisy as all heck - but it kicks on infrequently enough that I just ignore it for 60 seconds or so.

Terry Sparks
03-09-2010, 12:05 PM
If all you need the compressor for, is your nailers, buy a used compressor from Craigslist and save at least 50% of the cost of a new one. All you will need is a "pancake" type or simular size and it will be more than big enough to keep up with you all day long. To me, spending $200.00 at HD doen't make sense when you can buy a good compressor for $50.00.

Karl Card
03-09-2010, 1:28 PM
If all you need the compressor for, is your nailers, buy a used compressor from Craigslist and save at least 50% of the cost of a new one. All you will need is a "pancake" type or simular size and it will be more than big enough to keep up with you all day long. To me, spending $200.00 at HD doen't make sense when you can buy a good compressor for $50.00.

I guess I am confused here, you seem to be saying that someone just doesnt make sense. I am wondering how? and who?

Jim Fay
03-09-2010, 2:10 PM
Wow! thanks all so much for the extremely fast and helpful responses. I now know that pancake system will work perfectly for me. I will start looking for the combo kits as they sound like a great way to go. Hadn't thought of Craigs list either so another good thought.

Thanks Again
Jim

mark kosse
03-09-2010, 2:29 PM
Jim, Since they're almost all made in china anyway I'm going to recomend the HFT 2HP 8 Gal compressor. It gives 5cfm@90 psi(or close). It is a nice compressor and with the current sales flier it, and an 18ga nailer/stapler combo can be had for 100.00 with the 20% off coupon. The compressor is oiled and I've had one for 4+ years with no problems and I use it constantly on a farm.

I actually like it, from HFT... geez, I'm getting old, or cheap.

Tom Hargrove
03-09-2010, 3:37 PM
I have the PC combo (16 ga, 18 ga and stapler). I use them in the shop and for carpentry projects around the home, and for volunteer things I get involved in, such as Habitat for Humanity. The compressor works well with the guns that come in the kit, and will run a single framing gun on a limited basis, i.e."homeowner" projects.

As others have commented, the compressor is very, very loud. Oil-less compressors are far noiser and less "robust" than oil lubed units. For noise concerns alone, I will not buy another oil-less compressor at any price. I have a friend who is a builder. His crew has used Makita oil lubricated compressors for the past few years. Very durable and very quiet. My next compressor will be a Makita.

The PC guns have been very good for me - very reliable with very few jams. I rarely if ever use the 16 ga gun in the shop, but have put up lots of trim with it. IIRC, the stapler will not use anything larger than a 1" staple, which limits the things it can be used for. I have also used Bostich and Senco guns, and liked them as well. I have heard great things about the new Bosch guns, but have not used them.

Rich Engelhardt
03-09-2010, 6:49 PM
I just turned 58.
Last year, I bought an IR 4gal twin hot dog.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if my 10 year old grandson would be able to pass it along to his kids at some point.

Sure - there's cheaper & no doubt they will do the job for who knows how long.

My IR replaces a 25 plus year old Coleman Powermate, that, while still going strong, has a limited number of days left before it poops out.

Greg Hines, MD
03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I went the other way on this one. I got an 18gal Campbell-Hausfeldt from Tractor Supply Company, and Three-pack of Senco nailers from the Orange Borg. I have used the stapler a lot more around the deck to nail up lattice around the deck. It came with a stapler, brad nailer, and finish nailer.

Doc

Kevin Gregoire
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
i have a big 60gallon porter cable compressor waiting for warm weather to get hooked up
in the meantime i bought a small pancake compressor at sears and it came with a brad nailer.
i had a nailer already so i sold the combo one plus it was on sale at the time so i got the compressor for like fifteen bucks.

you might wait a bit and see if sears goes on sale again?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915206000P?mv=rr
its a good compressor, fairly quiet for oil free. i recommend it.

good luck

Dewayne Reding
03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I have a Porter Cable pancake and assorted Dewalt nailers. The Dewalt has never jammed once in the limited use I have given it. The compressor is perfect for portable use like nailers, blow nozzles and inflating a tire, but I have an 80 gallon in the garage when a real compressor is need.

Rich Engelhardt
03-10-2010, 7:21 AM
I should also add here that since I picked up a 23 ga. pinner, my 18 ga. brad nailers have been sitting in their cases more and more.

I absolutely love that little PC pin nailer!

Rob Hough
03-10-2010, 8:35 AM
I have one of the PC pancake combo's that I picked up last year. It most definitely is loud but it is also very portable and works great. I use it for all kinds of things. When in the "shop" I keep it under a cabinet that really cuts down on the noise.

Jim Fay
03-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Sorry been down with flu and couldn't respond Thanks all for you wonderful input. I feel like I have lots of solid info to base a decision on now. What a great forum
Jim