PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Logs -- Worth saving for sawing up?

Brian J Smith
03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Well as part of the big clean up from the snow storms we had here in the DC area I have a few cedar trees that I had to cut down. These are not real large trees, 9-6" in dia or so. I was thinking it might be worth saving some and sawing it down on the bandsaw for cedar lining on the inside of chests & drawers.

Is this too little wood for the work that will be involved? If I should do it how long should I cut the logs down? I don't want to use it for anything structual justs for it's aroma. Local place sells red cedar for 2.50bf, perhaps not really worth it?

Bjs

Chip Lindley
03-09-2010, 12:19 AM
6" to 9" is pretty small Brian. If the pith of the tree is included in boards, it will split them upon drying. Your boards will be pretty narrow to avoid it. But, it might be a learning exercise in making your own thin lumber and drying for chest lining, etc.

Mike Archambeau
03-09-2010, 8:03 AM
Fence posts! Or how about a log cabin for the dog!

joe milana
03-09-2010, 8:44 AM
I know someone that turns lighthouses out of cedar logs about this size. Gives them away to just about anyone that visits his shop.

Brian Effinger
03-09-2010, 1:27 PM
Logs are perfect for the wood lathe! :)

Cody Colston
03-09-2010, 2:07 PM
When I cleared off the 2 acres where I built my house, I saved all the Eastern Red Cedar logs (6" - 8"), thinking to use them as fence posts one day. About 5 years later, after moving the pile of posts numerous times and after the bottoms had decayed from standing on the ground (I had them stacked like a teepee), I decided to use them for woodworking.

I cut the "posts" into 4' lengths, getting rid of the rotted ends and the smaller ends. When I got through sawing them into planks on my 17" bandsaw, I had enough to build the cedar chest pictured below.

Cedar is so cheap that I didn't really save a lot of money but there is just something satisfying about going from standing tree to furniture, using only your own tools.